Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Prices for Fender FRV-1 pedal

Page 1 of 1

I saw that the FRV-1 was discontinued and can only find ones on Ebay that are in Japan. What's an acceptable price for this pedal? Thank you

I want to hear Caravan with a drum solo.

Go to Reverb.com
If you sign in you can see past transaction history of sales. Looks like $140-$195.

Robert

The GnarlyMen

I recently sold mine for $185.

FWIW, I don’t believe it’s very good for that kind of money. Much better options available for a little more.

Jonathan the Reverbivore

The Reverbivores

Please check out our latest album The Reverbivores Watch TV!

www.thereverbivores.com
Facebook
YouTube

h3dg3h0g wrote:

I recently sold mine for $185.
FWIW, I don’t believe it’s very good for that kind of money. Much better options available for a little more.

Or a little less. The Oceans 11 is $150.
I have the FRV-1 as well, and while it was good for what it was when it came out 7-8 years ago, the Oceans 11 is far superior.
As are a # of other newer pedals.

TarantinosNYC
TarantinosNYC FB page
The WrayCyclers FB page
Rockaway Beach Surf Music Festival

Wow. I'm obviously not the first with this idea, but I'm going to sell my frv-1 and go for the Oceans 11. Prices on eBay UK seem to be around £145 so I'll drop my price below that and hope for a result

I just bought an FRV-1 from guy in Paris (I'm in the Canary Islands) I paid 180€ which is steep, I know, but after watching lots of demos on YT I can see it comes close enough to the sound I want plus it's discontinued which means it's a rarity.
Now what? Although I really like the oceans 11, the FRV-1 will work while I save up for a surfy bear spring kit. That's the bee's knees!

Hey Ben, I found mine on a website called Reverb.com which is kind of like an eBay for musical instruments. There were several over FRV-1s for sale.

The Oceans 11 is much better than the FRV-1 IMO.

I sold mine a few weeks ago at $175, Ben.

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Skippy and the Skipjacks: 2018-
Skippyandtheskipjacks.net
https://www.facebook.com/skippyandtheskipjacks
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-2015
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007
http://www.dblcrown.com/delvamps.html

I only ever found the FRV-1 to "workable". There are far too many out there in the wild for them to be considered rare. Discontinued does not equate to stupid prices. I let mine go for the price I bought it, despite the unjustifiable prices out there. I am very happy with my DIY Surfy Bear and my RI '63 Fender for gigs and at-home use.

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

I have one in close to mint condition in the original box with all paperwork, etc. Wasn't actively looking to sell it, but if anyone is interested make me an offer. I can post pictures if anyone wants to see it.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018 19:56:45

Few on eBay around $250 to $280 now.
I love mine, I bought it a few years ago. Perfect for me since I mostly get around by motorcycle. Where I live it’s humid and salty and electronics don’t have the longest lifespan when you don’t have AC.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 02:55:25

So I've had the FRV-1 for a few weeks. I've got a couple of delays but this is my first reverb pedal. Man, I've been jonesing so hard for a tank (obviously the 6GR15) that I felt this was as close as I was gonna get for under 200€. I also want the oceans 11 I'm sure it sounds as good if not better than the FRV1 but what's nice about the FRV-1 is it works with a 9V battery. My rehearsal space has no power so I plug it into my cube amp and voila I have a decent verb, albeit the drip sounds quite synthetic!

So For me the obvious next step is the Surfy FETreverb tank kit but man I'm nervous my knowledge of electronics is zilch and my soldering skills are crude.
So I've got to watch as many tutorials as possible!

The Surfy Bear is a great solution - and to qualify that statement, I also own an original 1965 6G15 reverb unit that I recently restored to fully-functional, primo condition !

You may be able to find a friend to help with the soldering tasks but also be aware that building a complete unit will also require some additional DIY skills along the lines of basic carpentry for whatever cabinet you might want and metalworking for the chassis, holes for pots, and/or just modifying a toolbox if you're not putting it onto a cab. All of which helps make it such a great product and something to be proud of when completed.

Check out Uncle Doug on youtube - great stuff, he has projects that include not just the electronics stuff, but making a chassis, cabinet, and even how to do tolex covering if you are so inclined.

Member in good standing, Mentone Beach Syncopation Reverberation Association

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 16:01:35

Stoopy I started looking for cabinets and chassis online---between 200-250$!

One more question: what are the differences between the MOD pan and the accutronics. Wait is there a thread for this topic?

Stoopy, dude Uncle Doug's YT channel is insane! Beautiful work!

Odrigo wrote:

One more question: what are the differences between the MOD pan and the accutronics. Wait is there a thread for this topic?

I did a comparison of Accutronics-Korea, Accutronics-USA, and MOD pans in the following clip. The MOD pans sound very good but the trails are too long and cavernous to my ear...that seems to be a common observation for a number of players on this forum. Use whatever works best for your ear.
https://soundcloud.com/shake_n_stomp/reverb-demo

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

Odrigo wrote:

Stoopy I started looking for cabinets and chassis online---between 200-250$!

Which is why I say a Surfy Bear build project will exercise your carpentry skills. Big Grin I saw those cabinets as well, ridiculous, particularly if you have a friend or naighbor with a table saw. And indeed the big huge Surfy Bear thread covers lots of options as far as cabinets, housings, and different pans.

shake_n_stomp, great comparo and I found the Accutronics pan came closest to sounding like the Gibbs pan in my vintage 6G15. I even swapped them around when building my Surfy Bear since I still had the '65 unit on the bench.

Member in good standing, Mentone Beach Syncopation Reverberation Association

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 10:24:33

shake_n_stomp wrote:

Odrigo wrote:

I did a comparison of Accutronics-Korea, Accutronics-USA, and MOD pans in the following clip. The MOD pans sound very good but the trails are too long and cavernous to my ear...that seems to be a common observation for a number of players on this forum.

Brilliant work! Thank you for sharing this! You know I actually thought "too cavernous" was impossible but I'm afraid the MOD is too much.

Page 1 of 1