Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
120 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Surf Shreddin' Baritone

Page 1 of 1

I just finished this redo of a Douglas Hadron 27" scale B to B baritone that's been languishing for over a year. I could have spent more time on some things but my main priority was just getting it done. I'm plenty happy with it now, as it sounds freaking awesome. It's a Douglas Hadron from Rondo music and it's intended as a shredder/djent type guitar, with its sharktooth inlays and a very slim neck.

I wanted to turn it into something surfier so I used a scrap of mahogany from an old piece of furniture to reshape the headstock into something more familiar and harmonious and put Rio Grande "Bastard" P90s into the humbucker holes. Originally I was going to use a standard chrome covered Tele neck pickup in the middle but the Affinity one I had lying around sounded awful so I swapped in this G&L ASAT neck pickup, which is fantastic. It achieves the same hum cancelling effect as strat wiring and a hint of the quack as well.

The final thing I want to do to it is add some kind of bass cut cap on a switch, as this thing has serious balls and I foresee the eventual need to thin it out a bit in the mix. I'll probably get a push/pull pot.

I removed the original poly finish with a heat gun and a metal scraper, which I did put into the wood in a couple spots. Most noticeably on the back where my "stainable" filler putty stands out so glaringly. So I learned not to use that stuff and expect it to blend in. I also failed to get all the poly off in a few spots and really should have sanded the whole thing more finely. But those are lessons to be applied to the Next Project.

Stock Hadron

Two years later...

Page 1 of 1