Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Daneletro 64

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Does anyone have one ? And if so, what is width of neck at the nut ? Thanks!

Specs are at the bottom:
https://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/review-danelectro-the-64

A guy that I work with bought one, when they first came out, about a year ago. He absolutely loves it.He has a bunch of killer strats, telecasters, and Gibsons, yet this is the axe that he plays the most. It's gotten great online reviews. Guitar Player Magazine gave it an "editor's pick" award.

Bob

Thanks for the info and the link!
Deciding between the Danelectro or a Jay Turser Mosman.
Any thoughts on these ? Mosman is cheaper price..

While they may be very similar cosmetically, my guess, based upon my own experiences spending some time with other folks' Jay Tursers, having owned and played a few MIK Danos, that the well-reviewed Dano is in another class far as quality. I have actually played a similar but semi-hollow Dano '66 and was very impressed by the quality of construction, fret work and playability...and that was from off the wall at GC. The pu's sound great on the Dano also. The combination of a split-able dual lipstick humbucker in the bridge and a big single coil in the neck pretty much gives you about as much tonal flexibility you could want for everything from surf to hard rock. Truth be told, I'm actually interested in buying one of these new Dano's...just trying to decide which one: the '64 w/ Bigsby, Semi-hollow '66T w/ Wilkinson Trem, or the new '59XT w/ Wilkinson Trem, more traditional Dano semi-hollow Masonite body and slightly longer 25" scale (which is a steal at $499.99).

Last edited: May 19, 2018 23:51:33

Looks like a Mosrite-wannabe. Does it sound like one?

GC,s got 15% off till 5/29 on the 64.. wrestling with demons over buying this or not!! 6 mo financing,, asked them for 36 mo,s but won,t do it on the 64...
(15% off = $679.15 instead of $799...)

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 13:56:12

Taigiguy,
"Looks like a Mosrite-wannabe. Does it sound like one?"

Well no - it most certainly does not sound like a Mosrite in any way, shape or form. It's kind of like TANG orange drink - it imitates real orange juice but doesn't even come close in taste.

A prominent SG101 member posted this model a ways back. I tried two of them at a local music shop (which still has them for sale by my last visit) and reported on the consistent quality - which was consistently bad. ex. The body was way too heavy for the cheapo neck. My opinion got a few SG101 members in a hissy-fit snit.

And - I stand by this with no apologies:
If Guitar Player Magazine gives it good reviews, the chances are pretty good that it's a piece of junk.

As always - my humble opinion posted on a forum that welcomes (I think) differing opinions.
J Mo'

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:00:28

JohnnyMosrite wrote:

Taigiguy,
"Looks like a Mosrite-wannabe. Does it sound like one?"

Well no - it most certainly does not sound like a Mosrite in any way, shape or form. It's kind of like TANG orange drink - it imitates real orange juice but doesn't even come close in taste.

A prominent SG101 member posted this model a ways back. I tried two of them at a local music shop (which still has them for sale by my last visit) and reported on the consistent quality - which was consistently bad. ex. The body was way too heavy for the cheapo neck. My opinion got a few SG101 members in a hissy-fit snit.

And - I stand by this with no apologies:
If Guitar Player Magazine gives it good reviews, the chances are pretty good that it's a piece of junk.

As always - my humble opinion posted on a forum that welcomes (I think) differing opinions.
J Mo'

So what's the point of designing a guitar to look like a Mosrite unless your purpose is to fool people into thinking that it's also going to sound like one? It just seems like a money-making scheme to me.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:00:34

Taijiguy,
"So what's the point of designing a guitar to look like a Mosrite unless your purpose is to fool people into thinking that it's also going to sound like one? It just seems like a money-making scheme to me."

Well, yeah.. It is a money making scheme as is many capitalistic endeavors. Just make a "what passes for good enough" POOR Mosrite imitation at some Taiwanese or Indonesian etc. child labor sweat shop, market it at $750.00-$800.00 retail in the US - which is way beyond its (maybe) $350.00-$400.00 worth - and let the profits roll. Don't get me wrong, I strongly believe in capitalism - I use it everyday. But there is a downside to it with BEYOND CHEAP Crap - whether it's cars, tools, guitars - you name it.

It's a particular kind of dolt that goes thru life thinking he's getting a value bargain at a retail outlet setting. A prime example is Esteban guitars. Great to view it's Martin-esque looks - but it falls apart soon after you actually play one because it's little more than scrap wood.

It's also a particular intellect that puts his faith in some industry rag that advertises the product (they do that for ad money, by the way) and then does an "objective" (ahem!) review of it.

As stated, my actual testing of the guitar was at strong variance to Guitar Players assessment.
So it was my own personal test vs. Guitar Players... Hmmm.. Whose opinion counts there? Why mine, of course; primarily because it's my hard earned money involved. To all that actually like the guitar, more power to you - all types to make a world and happy pickings.

Isn't variety (in opinions) just great?

Always here to help
J Mo'

Have not played one but am skeptical having owned a Danelectro Hodad with dual lipstick humbuckers, horrible excuse for a guitar it looked good, kinda. Suspect this is no different.

MonsterMash, Taijiguy,
If either or both of you are considering buying this cheapo Dano Mosrite wannabee guitar, why not consider getting a Hallmark?
(www.Hallmarkguitars.com).
The guitars are made in Korea but Bob Shade, the owner, has a tight reign on quality control. I've played many a Mosrite and I've played many of these Hallmarks. Bottom line - the Hallmarks play as well as a Mosrite or, in some cases, better and the sound is a damn site closer to a real Mosrite than this - in relative terms - piece of crap Dano copy.

A Hallmark will set you back a good $300.00-$400.00 more than the Dano but I think you get a case with it (You don't with the Dano copy)

I have no $$$ interest in Hallmark - I'm not an endorser, etc.
I just know a good playing, good sounding guitar when I pluck the strings and a Hallmark fills that bill in spades.

$300.00-$400.00 bucks isn't 300-400 cents these days.
So - save your pennies - buy yourself a quality axe and avoid the junk.

Hope this helps -
J Mo'

JohnnyMosrite wrote:

MonsterMash, Taijiguy,
If either or both of you are considering buying this cheapo Dano Mosrite wannabee guitar, why not consider getting a Hallmark?
(www.Hallmarkguitars.com).
The guitars are made in Korea but Bob Shade, the owner, has a tight reign on quality control. I've played many a Mosrite and I've played many of these Hallmarks. Bottom line - the Hallmarks play as well as a Mosrite or, in some cases, better and the sound is a damn site closer to a real Mosrite than this - in relative terms - piece of crap Dano copy.

A Hallmark will set you back a good $300.00-$400.00 more than the Dano but I think you get a case with it (You don't with the Dano copy)

I have no $$$ interest in Hallmark - I'm not an endorser, etc.
I just know a good playing, good sounding guitar when I pluck the strings and a Hallmark fills that bill in spades.

$300.00-$400.00 bucks isn't 300-400 cents these days.
So - save your pennies - buy yourself a quality axe and avoid the junk.

Hope this helps -
J Mo'

I have 2 Hallmarks...a 65 Custom guitar with Dana-Mo pickups and a 65 Custom bass, both of which came with beautiful high quality cases, and I wouldn't trade them for anything. Before them, I had a couple of Fillmore guitars and a Dana-Mo 65, which were great guitars, but I had a hard time playing chords because of the thin neck. I've never owned a vintage Mosrite, but I've always loved the look and sound. For the minor price difference of $200 ($799 for the Dano and $999 for the Hallmark), I don't know why anyone would choose the Danelectro over a Hallmark.

Last edited: May 27, 2018 17:45:38

The Dano has a Mosrite body shape...certainly doesn't sound like a Mosrite.
If you are buying it because you think you are getting a Mosrite-alike that would be a mistake. A Hallmark will get you very close without the playability issues of a real Mosrite (playability issues for some, I'm sure there are folks who like the feel of a vintage Mosrite). That being said, I have to respectfully disagree with the new Dano's being junk. The '66 and '64 I played had very good fretwork, very clean workmanship, played really well and sounded good....but they are not Mosrites or even Hallmarks if you are looking for that. As decent as I think these Dano's are, IMO, $799.00 w/o a case or bag for the '64 is a little steep. The truly Dano-like '59XT at 499.99 plays as good and has just as good fit and finish is a deal. It can do surf/instro well but again does not sound like a Mosrite. Just my two cents for what it's worth.

Last edited: May 27, 2018 22:21:09

I recently purchased a Danelectro 64 bass that was set up great out of the box. Definitely gig-worthy. Of course, as luck would have it, I found a reasonably priced '66 Mosrite Ventures bass on Reverb (soon to be a NBD post).

Another alternative is the Eastwood Sidejack Pro DLX, another homage as opposed to an exact replica of the original Mosrite Ventures model. I just purchased one using Eastwood's Memorial Day Sale deal. I'll do a NGD when I get it and let you know how it is. In the meantime, this demo by RJ Ronquillo got me gassin' for this vintage white one.

The doofus formerly known as Snorre
Surfysonic on YouTube
World Famous Philistines: 2014 - 2015
K39: 2013 - 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv9JADQ4ukw

("MonsterMash, Taijiguy,
(www.Hallmarkguitars.com)")
Thanks for your input on this.. Price was a consideration, Not having heard any of these in person,thought the Dano was a good compromise..I,ll be checking out the Hallmarks ! Thanks!
Hey,, what do you think of the Jay Turser Mosman? (it,s even cheaper)
Great Video also!!!

Last edited: May 28, 2018 17:29:57

MonsterMash.
I've never played a Jay Turser Mosman. From hearing them, I'd at least suggest changing out the stock pickups.
But some pointers -
The Hallmarks have the low profile frets like an original Mosrite. That's an important component of the "Mosrite" sound - along with super hot pickups. A lot of "F" brand and "G" brand guitar players prefer bigger/taller frets. They're missing the point. A Mosrite is built to pick a note; get it over with; and move (quickly) the the next one - with minimal "speed bumps" - high frets. Mosrites just aren't your typical blues guitar with bending to several million semi-tones at a fret.

While I appreciate R.J.'s playing on the "Teen Spirit" video above, the sound is in no way near the sound of a real Mosrite. The guitar just looks like a Mosrite - like the Dano 64 looks like a (sort of) Mosrite. You could get the same sound out of a Strat or Les Paul. The Jazzmaster tremolo arm on a guitar that is not a Jazzmaster was always a turn-off to me. It just gives me the impression of "Franenstein/parts" guitar - but that's my taste and opinion. It's also one reason that I'd never get a Wilson Bros guitar and believe me, I absolutely love The Ventures.

As far as I'm concerned, the Hallmarks - at about $1,000.00 with case - are THE BEST alternative to a $2500.00-$5000.00 USA Mosrite out there today.
Buying one was a no-brainer.. they're worth every penny.

BTW - anyone ever see Guitar Player Magazine review a Hallmark guitar??
I'd lean toward the answer being "NO" but I like surprises.

Hope you choose wisely.
J Mo'

Goto Page: 1 2 Next