Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink CIJ Jazzmaster pickups

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

montereyjack66 wrote:

This is SORCERY!!!!

Lol Thank you!

MissingLink wrote:

So the enigmatic claws actually do something. Interesting...

Yes the claw distorts the magnetic field by design and possibly reduces 60 cycle hum. The film remembers the image and it's easy to smudge, I need to degauss the film on a speaker magnet after every take/mistake. I'll work to get a better photo.

Klas wrote:

A vast majority of all our surf recordings are done with stock CIJ Jaguars for the lead parts. Here's one of them:

Sounds nice Klas, good Jaguar sound, reminds me about the Stockholm archipelago Big Grin

Hello everyone!
Super stoked to have found SG101! This summer I got an American made reissue JM, totally in love with it. Been practicing picking close to bridge and I've noticed that the plectrum is lightly hitting the pickup. My question is: Is it possible the bridge pickup is too high up or is the bridge PU normally raised higher than the neck PU?

Sweetwater Audio has this article in their current newsletter.

Secrets of Sustain: Why Pickup Position Matters
By Craig Anderton on Sep 14, 2018, 8:00 AM
+1
Tweet

Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
— Nigel Tufnel, Spinal Tap
For many guitarists, it’s a given that loud is good, and louder is better. In the quest for loud, a lot of guitarists move their pickups as close as possible to the strings. And this does, in fact, generate more output. But pickup height affects not just the guitar’s output level, but it also affects sustain and how the guitar’s output level relates to a pluck or strum’s initial transient.

To find out how pickup height affects a guitar’s output, I tested the rhythm and treble humbucker pickups in a Gibson Les Paul Standard guitar, with two different pickup-to-string distances, using 0.010-gauge strings. With the close position, the strings were 2mm away from the top of the pickup pole pieces. For the far position, they were 4mm away. I then recorded similar strums into a Steinberg WaveLab digital audio editor. Although it’s impossible to strum exactly the same way every time, there was a definite pattern.

Figure 1 summarizes the neck pickup results (the bridge pickup results were similar). The image on the left shows the raw signal output from three strums with the rhythm pickup close to the strings, then three strums with the pickup in the far position. The signal level in the far position is about 8dB less. The image on the right amplifies the peaks of the far strums to the same peak level as the close strums. The far strums are fatter because there’s a higher average level; with the close waveforms, the average level drops off rapidly after the transient.

Figure 1: Although there’s less output when strings are farther away from the pickup, the average level is higher once you amplify the peaks to the same level as those recorded when the strings are closer to the pickup.
Now let’s look at sustain. Figure 2 shows two chords ringing out (close on the left, far on the right) with the waveforms normalized to the same peak value and amplified by the same amount to better show the last part of the decay. There’s clearly more sustain with the pickup farther away from the strings. This is because the magnets in the pole pieces are creating drag on the strings.

Figure 2: The tail of the second (far) waveform stays louder for longer.
However, you don’t get something for nothing. Because the overall level is lower when the strings are farther away from the pickups, you’ll need to turn up your amp’s drive control, an audio interface’s input control, or an amp sim’s input control to compensate and to benefit from the increased sustain. Remember that pickup height adjustments are angled, so you’ll want to make sure that the levels coming out of the high and low strings are as evenly matched as possible.

Other Implications of Pickup Height
Guitars are percussive instruments, so the initial transient can reach significant levels — note that this is mostly a non-tonal transient, because it consists of string and pick noise. These transients tend to be less of a problem with tube inputs, because the tubes absorb the higher levels. However, it’s another matter with digital processors. With compressors, high-level transients tend to “grab” the gain control mechanism to turn the signal down. This can create a pop when the compression kicks in. Furthermore, amp sims generally don’t like transients because they don’t distort very elegantly. High-level transients also require turning down direct inputs in audio interfaces to avoid clipping, which lowers the signal-to-noise ratio and resolution.

Lowering the level of transients can help minimize these problems. With the pickups farther away from the strings, the initial transient’s level is lower than average. Again, you’ll need to increase the input level to compensate for the lower pickup output, but these days there’s plenty of gain at our disposal — this would hardly be considered a problem.

So if you want to go up to eleven and output is what matters, be my guest! But there’s much to be said for dialing back a bit when tone, sustain, and signal processor performance are more important than raw level.

The figures he mentioned related to digital wave forms that didn't come across when I captured this to post it.

Having owned Jazzmasters since the 1960's I immediately noticed that my early 90's CIJ Jazzmasters just didn't sound "right." Replacing the original deep coil pickups with vintage style pickups made them sound much more authentic, to my ears anyway.

On the CIJ Jaguar, I remember Rip Thrilby complaining to me that he wasn't getting the sound he thought he should out of his CIJ at the beginning of the Penetrator's recording "Locked and Loaded." I had a set of Seymour Duncan Jag PU's I had bought for my own CIJ Jag that I had not installed in my guitar and sold him my set......the rest is history.

I just play with the setting on my pickups until they sound pretty good.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Wow, that was a very detailed and great read! Very well said. Thanks for the input, Ed!

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Skippy and the Skipjacks: 2018-
Skippyandtheskipjacks.net
https://www.facebook.com/skippyandtheskipjacks
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-2015
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007
http://www.dblcrown.com/delvamps.html

Fender's set up spec is a clearance of 2.4mm between low E and pick up pole and 2mm between top E and pick up pole, both when fretted at last fret.

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

Odrigo wrote:

My question is: Is it possible the bridge pickup is too high up or is the bridge PU normally raised higher than the neck PU?

If the neck on your Jazzmaster has been shimmed, then the bridge pickup will need to be raised higher than the neck pup. However, it looks to me (based on your photo) that your bridge pup is a little higher than it needs to be.

The Reverbivores - we're local favorites!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2