Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink The Mermen 2018 Release “The Magic Swirling Ship”

Page 1 of 1

Sorry if this is discussed in a different post. I couldn’t find mention anywhere.

So my wife confessed her love of Incubus to me the other day which was of course disheartening, however after listening to a few songs I said that kind of reminds me of one of my first favorite Surf Bands The Mermen and so went to Spotify to play some of their tunes for her and stumbled upon a new 2018 release! After listening to the whole thing I’d have to say it’s a great album! My only complaints being that I don’t think the guitar is loud enough in the mix, but the songs are true to form Jim Thomas Gold! Glad to see they're back in action and releasing albums! Apparently it’s 6 new songs and a redo of some prior songs. So far To a New World is my favorite and in all honesty reminds me of a Madeira tune. Very cool!

Jeremy

Skipping through some quick previews, this seems a bit more like the Mermen most people expect than the super-slow We Could See It In the Distance.

My wife likes Incubus too. For her I think it's more that she happens to think the music of the beautiful man with the golden voice is good.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Yes El Monstro agreed. This is a departure from Jim’s solo work in a way, returning to the roots of the Mermen band it sounds. The drums are huge in the mix and it’s got some balls! One thing about the Mermen though and I guess really incubus as well, its female friendly. My wife loves this new Mermen album and I can’t say she likes much instro Surf. She would’ve been a teen when they released A Glorious Lethal Euphoria in ‘95 and had never heard it, but I think it’s really one of the early albums in the 90s that had that type of guitar sound and style of playing that was soon taken up by bands like Incubus and maybe even a little bit like Minus the Bear almost at least as far as embracing the jazzier chords maybe. All in all just such a great band.

Jeremy

There is 2 new Mermen releases.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/29649/?page=1#p408806

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Page 1 of 1