Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink Don The Beachcombers March 30/31

Page 1 of 1

I haven't seen this mentioned here yet and I don't know all the details and theres lots of talk swirling around, but there is a BIG 2 day "Anniversary Show" at Dons this coming Friday and Saturday!

Friday night has The Hula Girls, Ding Dong Devils, Ukulena and Outerwave in the main room, plus The Breakaways and Driving Guitars (Ventures Tribute) in the Longboard Room.
Sunday has Jason Lee, Hot Rod Trio, Big Poi Combo and Rayford Brothers.

Again, lots of talk swirling around.. not sure what is fact and what is fiction, but you don't want to miss this one!

Anyone with more info please post it!

On sat, Rayford bros at 3,

The Tiki Creeps at 4,
The Anchvies at 5

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Going

Apparently a couple of their regular weekly gigs are doing final performances this week, and the OCWeekly said
"Rumors of the restaurant’s closing continue to circulate though there’s been no official word yet from management as the restaurant edges closer to the Ohana Gathering celebrating Don’s 10 year anniversary this Saturday and Sunday. Restaurant management could not be reached for comment as of press time."

https://www.ocweekly.com/fully-fullwood-draws-massive-crowd-for-last-show-at-don-the-beachcomber/

Ohana shows are on Friday and Saturday,
And sold out,

They are open Sunday for Easter,
But just their regular menu. Not a special brunch.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

In 2015 Don's was threatened by a rezone process that would allow development if high-rise condos. After an evening of hearing both sides, the Huntington Beach city council voted against the rezone leave Don's in a safe harbor. In follow up news reports the landlord seemed to say they were satisfied with the outcome. But these things never seem to go away for ever so there may be something brewing.... again.

Happy Sunsets!

"Ohana shows are on Friday and Saturday,
And sold out"

Are the shows in the Longboard Room a separate admission or are they part of the Ohana Show?

Longboard room is ticket needed,

Dagger bar Friday and Saturday are free

Jeff(bigtikidude)

A story about Don's closing is in today's Orange County Register. Someone with better skills than me can post a link to the story.

Happy Sunsets!

Don's OC Register

I've always liked Dons, and I hope it turns into something else cool.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018 09:12:47

Thanks for the assistance Sonichris. When I lived in Belmont Shore, Sam's Seafood was always a good place to go way back when abalone was on the menu.

Happy Sunsets!

I sure hope that the owners of the property can find a way to keep the tiki vibe alive in whatever comes next.

We attended many shows there when it was Sam's Seafood, as well as having 2 different CD release parties for The Torquays in the back room.

KONA was the name for a few year and we saw a few surf shows and attended an awesome New Year's Eve party with The Tikiyaki Orchestra.

Don's has had a good run, it's too bad that their business model isn't sustainable, day in and day out.

Hoping for the best.

• Surfbeatnik

Don's has almost always been a stop on my trips to the SG101 convention over the years. So many magical moments and memories were captured there for me: laughing with friends, getting to know fellow SG101'ers better, amazing drinks, member jams, listening to PJ and Gil Orr with Jim Frias on sax, etc, etc.

One memory in particular was from the year Martin Cilia played. I remember Captain Springfield and I sat at a table with Martin's bandmates Lloyd and Janette. Lloyd regaled us with many fascinating tales of working with Jim Skiathitis and Peter Hood from The Atlantics. He had all these incredible stories about Jim and an amazing story about Peter teaching him how to play Bombora. Wow!

Another fond memory was one year Matt Quilter set up his surf karaoke machine and all kinds of great people got up and played along to his backing tracks with him.

I too hope it continues in some form.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018 08:58:32

Hoping to pop in on the Saturday afternoon: does anyone know if kids are allowed in the Dagger Bar (they'd have ear protection)?

its all ages when food is served,
but....

its going to be a zoo,
and they have to be in a booth.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

It was a great weekend at Dons! So now that it's a new month, does anyone know if Dons is open or have any new information on its fate?

I heard its day to day,
No entertainment,
And limited food n drinks
In the bar only

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Page 1 of 1