Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink On board reverb tone suck?

Page 1 of 1

I noticed recently my amp on board reverb when switched off and dialed all the way down is really sucking tone and mid range. If I dial reverb dial up (even though reverb is switched off) I get it back?
I have '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb tank paired with Gomez G spring tank.

Q's for amp experts: Is this normal? Since I know how to control it now is it something to leave alone or get it fixed? The onboard reverb never gets used. But its back up if outboard tank ever goes down.

Thanks!

Robert

The GnarlyMen

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 12:59:03

Vibrato side only. I plug into Input 1 and use foot switch. Normal side is a little too clean for me. The reverb dial has no impact on Normal side. Thanks!

Robert

The GnarlyMen

From what you are describing it sounds normal to me. If you are getting proper reverb when you switch it on and turn up the knob then you can just leave it alone and rock on knowing that there is nothing to be fixed. The vibrato channel has an extra gain stage to boost the signal through the reverb and tremolo circuits. It's not really sucking the tone...it's just that when you roll the reverb knob back you are decreasing that extra gain even if the reverb is switched off. This is normal and only involves the vibrato channel...the reverb knob has no effect on the normal channel.

That makes sense. Love that extra gain. Gives a nice mid range boost on my set up.
Thanks for the info!

Robert

The GnarlyMen

The onboard reverb is never meant to be turned down all the way, Fender designed them with foot switches to turn off the reverb. Have you tried it with the footswitch off?

I always have reverb off on foot switch since I have outboard tank. But I use to rolled down reverb dial all the way. Not anymore. Thanks!

Robert

The GnarlyMen

Page 1 of 1