Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Stumped then sidetracked

Page 1 of 1

Do you ever get stumped when trying to figure out a song? And then hit a note and another song you have been working on clicks into your mind and you forget about the song you were stumped on?
I've been working on a song by The X-Rays posted in last years compilation called 'The last drop'. I've got the intro ok, but the verse after the second note has me stumped. I know the verse is played over a chord shape, but I just can't get it..Eddie help please.
Anyway I've also been working on a Bambi Molesters song. I hit a note while working on the X-ray song, and boom I'm hearing the Bambi molesters song. And a part swings into place on that song.
How about you guys? Do you have similar problems when learning a song?

So you were working on a problem, while your brain signaled you that you have the capacity to handle that other problem now, so you went ahead and solved it. I see no problem!
Choosing the easy way out is not what you did here, learning is a circular thing, nothing is lost. Falling into familiar patterns would be the mistake, not controlling a great vocabulary.

Last edited: Mar 06, 2018 17:38:27

Joelman wrote:

Do you ever get stumped when trying to figure out a song? And then hit a note and another song you have been working on clicks into your mind and you forget about the song you were stumped on?
I've been working on a song by The X-Rays posted in last years compilation called 'The last drop'. I've got the intro ok, but the verse after the second note has me stumped. I know the verse is played over a chord shape, but I just can't get it..Eddie help please.
Anyway I've also been working on a Bambi Molesters song. I hit a note while working on the X-ray song, and boom I'm hearing the Bambi molesters song. And a part swings into place on that song.

I played bass on that track, it was originally recorded in a warehouse where the (then) drummer worked in 1997 if my memory serves me correctly. Eddie did a remix of it prior to releasing it for the SG101 comp last year. I talked him into choosing that song since it was never on a previous X-Rays release and I really liked the arrangement and how the "mood" changes from the verses to the choruses. Also, the X-Rays had a really great keyboard player at the time who provided some nice texture to the sound.

Anyway, just send Eddie a PM and I am sure he will be happy to assist you. He goes by Eddie Katcher on here.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

WoodyJ wrote:

Joelman wrote:

I played bass on that track, it was originally recorded in a warehouse where the (then) drummer worked in 1997 if my memory serves me correctly. Eddie did a remix of it prior to releasing it for the SG101 comp last year. I talked him into choosing that song since it was never on a previous X-Rays release and I really liked the arrangement and how the "mood" changes from the verses to the choruses. Also, the X-Rays had a really great keyboard player at the time who provided some nice texture to the sound.

Anyway, just send Eddie a PM and I am sure he will be happy to assist you. He goes by Eddie Katcher on here.

Well thank you very much.
I really like the song, and yes, it's the change in musical pace that has captured my mind also. First exotic, then almost whimsical. It's just stuck in my head now.
The dog gone song is keeping me awake in my dreams!
If it doesn't come to me soon I'll pm Mr. Katcher and beg for relief.
Thanks for the replies guys.

Hi ya J-Man. Thank you so much for the kind words.

"The Last Drop" was written to honor the memory of Olympic whitewater boater, Richard Wiess. He was the highest placing American in his event in the Summer Olympic Games held here in 1996. Rich was a true inspiration to many of us local (and national) whitewater boaters. Sadly, he lost his life running a class V rapid in the Northwest called "Big Brother" not long after the Olympic games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_Olympics

In the early days of the X-Rays, as we were pretty much land locked, I looked to my open boating experiences (in a canoe), running class IV rapids for inspiration and the respect for moving water.

The Last Drop is in the key of D and the lead picks up with a bared first finger behind the seventh fret. It then resolves directly into a C chord and moves on from there.

Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you stay stumped.

Like we believe: "half the paddle.....twice the boater."

I need to be out catching eddies............

Cheers

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

eddiekatcher wrote:

Hi ya J-Man. Thank you so much for the kind words.

"The Last Drop" was written to honor the memory of Olympic whitewater boater, Richard Wiess. He was the highest placing American in his event in the Summer Olympic Games held here in 1996. Rich was a true inspiration to many of us local (and national) whitewater boaters. Sadly, he lost his life running a class V rapid in the Northwest called "Big Brother" not long after the Olympic games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_Olympics

In the early days of the X-Rays, as we were pretty much land locked, I looked to my open boating experiences (in a canoe), running class IV rapids for inspiration and the respect for moving water.

The Last Drop is in the key of D and the lead picks up with a bared first finger behind the seventh fret. It then resolves directly into a C chord and moves on from there.

Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you stay stumped.

Like we believe: "half the paddle.....twice the boater."

I need to be out catching eddies............

Cheers

ed

Wow,, thanks for all the info and reply. I am honored.
When you say resolves into a 'C' chord are you referring to the eighth fret 'C' chord?
The muted strings sound so familiar but I just can't find the sound. Are you muting a 'C' chord at the eighth fret?
Thank you for your help. I usually get the songs figured out, but this one just isn't coming along as easily as it sounds like it would. I've been working on it every day since I first heard it.
Thanks again.
Say ain't it kinda cold to be out in the water looking for eddys?

Joelman wrote:

I've noticed that I frequently learn songs in a very sudden manner. I might play a couple of phrases and then suddenly, it seems like I know the whole song. My take on this is that it takes a little while to capture the logic behind a song, but then the logic falls into place and the song becomes a completed roadmap in my mind. The cool thing is that once that occurs, I pretty much have the song forever.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

synchro wrote:

Joelman wrote:

I've noticed that I frequently learn songs in a very sudden manner. I might play a couple of phrases and then suddenly, it seems like I know the whole song. My take on this is that it takes a little while to capture the logic behind a song, but then the logic falls into place and the song becomes a completed roadmap in my mind. The cool thing is that once that occurs, I pretty much have the song forever.

I agree with you on this completely.
It seems if I can find the first finger or chord positions most songs do fall into place. I find that the starting position often doesn't move to far away from the rest of the note pattern.
The song I'm having trouble with this time has a muted chord shape right off the bat. It sounds very familiar to me but I'm having trouble with plugged up ears. I get them almost ever winter.
I usually can hear it well with ear phones on, but this one just ain't comming around, so to say.
I think many of the songs I learn by ear I learn after hitting a chord or note progression in another song.
At other times I can just hear where everything is. This song is driving me nuts. It's not the song it's the muted progression of notes I guess.

Hi guys,

I just had to sit down and re-figure out what I was doing there. It's was always one of my favorite X-Rays tunes, especially when Nathan was in the group on keyboards. Unfortunately the Surge! never worked it up.

The pick up to the verse is based on that barred (on four strings) D resolving to the C at the 8th fret. It then moves down to a C chord at the third fret, then a G chord in the same location and then the D two frets up.

One of the things I liked about it was the droning moody chordal intros and passing phrases.

If you stay stumped J-Man, PM me and I'll send you my phone number and we can work through it. Would love to help you figure it out.

Once again, thanks for the kind words.

Ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

eddiekatcher wrote:

Hi guys,

I just had to sit down and re-figure out what I was doing there. It's was always one of my favorite X-Rays tunes, especially when Nathan was in the group on keyboards. Unfortunately the Surge! never worked it up.

The pick up to the verse is based on that barred (on four strings) D resolving to the C at the 8th fret. It then moves down to a C chord at the third fret, then a G chord in the same location and then the D two frets up.

One of the things I liked about it was the droning moody chordal intros and passing phrases.

If you stay stumped J-Man, PM me and I'll send you my phone number and we can work through it. Would love to help you figure it out.

Once again, thanks for the kind words.

Ed

Wow what a wonderful offer! Thank you very much!
I'll keep working on it. The above info should move me along.
It's opening day for little league here so I'll be pretty busy for the next few weeks. The grandson is playing, and I'm his support staff.
Your offer for me calling is very generous of you. I might take you up on it if I can't get this worked out on my end.
Thanks.
Joel
BTW, your inbox is full.

Page 1 of 1