Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Any musicians interested in performing (or trying out) online jam sessions?

Page 1 of 1

I just discovered JamKazam and am curious if any surf musicians have tried it or would like to. I would be very excited to form a virtual surf band if there are any takers. I play lead/rhythm guitar.

Jamkazam.com is the website and their FAQs are very well laid out.

_

Hi, I'm Gellert, guitarist for The Fintastics.

https://www.facebook.com/TheFintastics

Just an update on my using the JamKazam website/software.

Our surf band, The Fintastics, recently lost our rehearsal studio. Since we normally would practice only once a week, I decided to try to find us a more economical way of getting together.

Last night, our drummer connected his electronic drum kit into the program. Since all of us have the same ISP (with a 90mbit down/12mbit up connection), we were able to practice "Flight of the Surf Guitar" at 192 bmp in real time together wearing headphones.

You simply can't imagine the feeling you get, knowing your bandmates are actually playing their instruments with you, rather than listening to a backing track. So, once everyone peeled the smiles off their face, we're feeling a huge sense of accomplishment. No more driving, setting up, tearing down, or rent bills.

This Wednesday evening, we are going to have our first full blown practice to see how it holds up for the duration. 16 songs back to back.

For the folks wondering about latency, we are measuring it around 18-20 ms. This means that if the three of us formed a triangle (in a room), the distance between our instruments would be 18 to 20 feet from our ears.

We are going to record our session and see how it sounds. I am guessing that if this works out well, we will hold monthly "concerts" online for anyone to join us, as a listener.

Www.JamKazam.com is the website and program. We highly recommend it for jamming with other surf bands and musicians.

_

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018 07:51:27

Very interested in this. Our drummer is moving back to Italy in May. He'll be back for a week each month so we can work practices around that, but this would be a very neat extra option to stop a buildup of rust.

I generally don't 'get' how the internet works so apologies if this seems a really stupid question, but are you all close by geographically? Would being physically further apart affect the latency?

maximumsurfandroll wrote:

Very interested in this. Our drummer is moving back to Italy in May. He'll be back for a week each month so we can work practices around that, but this would be a very neat extra option to stop a buildup of rust.

I generally don't 'get' how the internet works so apologies if this seems a really stupid question, but are you all close by geographically? Would being physically further apart affect the latency?

That is a great question. My bandmates and I are within 5 miles of each other and also with the same internet provider. The system works best with less people in a session. Meaning, if your drummer in Italy connected to Jamkazam and the rest of you connected at the same location, it'd have a much better chance of sounding good rather than each member doing it from their own end. The more locations, the higher the latency goes.

Also, the person with the slowest connection of the group will bring it down for everyone else. "They say" keeping latency below 25 is generally doable for an in-syc session. However 10 and below is the holy grail...meaning playing as if everyone was on stage together. The path from Italy to your location is the wild card. If he can get a very fast speed from his provider, it may be doable. It took the three of us buying our own interfaces ($49) and some tweaking of our pc/laptops to get the numbers in our favor.

Last thing, is that everyone must be connected via ethernet cables. A wireless connection, regardless of speed, will not work.

_

Page 1 of 1