Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Fun with Speakers at Randy's house. (Marshall amp for surf??)

Page 1 of 1

Spent a fun afternoon at Randy Holden's wonderful pad high above South Laguna with a great view of the surf at Salt Creek. A little background: We were able to cajole Randy, who hadn't played his classic Fender IV tunes live in decades, to appear at the 2016 SG101 Convention, and needless to say, he blew the roof off the dump. It wasn't easy, however, and our two aces in the hole were Dusty Watson on drums, and promising to supply him with the exact rig he used to create the sonic assault of "Margaya". Originally from Baltimore, he lays claim to buying the first blond double Showman ever shipped to the East Coast, which was his workhorse throughout the Fender IV and beyond. Well, no problem! I have a great '61 Showman that Norm Cowell (DD's amp tech) rewired with a 4-ohm OPT, and both a tone ring cab (with an unreconed factory 4-ohm JBL!) AND a 2X15 cab (which I never ever play cause I love my tone ring cab so much). We rehearsed for the show in Randy's living room at full (and I mean FULL) volume, and he sounded epic! Flash forward to the present: To make a long story longer, my Showman has been sitting at his house ever since the show in 2016, and I figured it was time to go get the thing. It was a sad day for Randy, BUT---I agreed to sell him the 2X15 cab for a modest fee, and he was really stoked! That's where the Fun with Speakers part comes in: he wanted to use the JBL cab as an extension speaker for his 1970 Marshall 100w half-stack, a combination that COULD, dare I say, rule the world. Only problem: the Marshall cab is 16 ohms and the Fender is 4 ohms, not a happy match. (We tried it anyway, with the amp on its 4-ohm output setting into a 3.2-ohm load, but you could barely hear the Marshall cab). One option would be to rewire the Fender cab in series for 16 ohms, which seemed like a good plan. The first snag occured when it turned out that one of the Celestions was blown. So, the backs had to come off BOTH cabs, and we had to send the Celestion out for repair. We finally got the whole thing up and running today:photo
photo

So, what does a 100w Marshall with a 4X12 cab and a 2X15 JBL cab and a reverb unit sound like for surf? First, the Marshall head has a huge bark and a big midrange bump, so some EQ tweaking was in order, dialing out most of the mids. The cabs were pretty evenly matched, and together were LOUD. REALLY loud! Randy let me play some trad surf stuff and it was definitely fun in a non-Fender sort of way, but this is an amp that really is meant to be cranked. Randy got out his plexi Strat through some sort of Roland midi unit, and holy shit, it was just huge. We jammed (does anyone jam anymore?) for about 90 minutes at massive DB's, and I could tell he was really stoked. The cab's work surprisingly well together, and, for a brief moment, we did indeed rule the world. Thanks for reading!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018 04:22:45

Oh man...I need to know more about that see through no knobber.

Agreed, that's one wild guitar.

Great story Matt! Thanks for sharing! What an experience!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Does he still have the jaguar that he used with the fender IV?

I'm Jake G and I approve this message

Chippertheripper wrote:

https://menga.net/the-5-types-of-guitars-you-should-never-buy

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Sure acrylic guitars are heavy but they have a projection and clarity that wood just can't achieve. The notes jump right out!

IvanP wrote:

Chippertheripper wrote:

https://menga.net/the-5-types-of-guitars-you-should-never-buy

I had to throw their credibility out when I saw the esquire on the list.
I have no use for a Strat anyways, but some space age clear kookiness with no knobs is right in my wheelhouse.

JakeG wrote:

I wondered the same thing. Strat-type guitars everywhere, but no Jag. Apparently no interest in playing one, either. We offered to get him one for the show, but he insisted on his acrylic Strat.

bamboozer wrote:

Agreed, that's one wild guitar.

He has two, actually. One with pickups, and the knobless wonder that uses some sort of 9-pin output for the Roland gizmo (which kept snap crackle and popping Uh-Oh ). These were custom built for Randy a few years back. Not sure by who.

JakeG wrote:

This from Randy (needless to say, the Strat won him over. Add this to "best guitar for surf?" debate!):

My Jag ... I took it apart, and made a new Hollow Body for it. I had some hair brained idea I could get more sustain from it, if I made a Hollow Body ... Wrong! If anything it was more dead no longer having the density of the solid wood body. I showed it to Fender. They were just changing out all the people I used to know for years. Some new dimwit came out to look at it. Knocked his knuckles on it a few times, said “hello, hello, hello” into the f-hole. No one answered back. He said “no good” and walked away. Less than a year after, Fender introduced their new Hollow Body Tele ... end of story.

I have no idea what ended up happening to that Jag. I got a Jazzmaster, which I wound up hating more than my Jag, which I’d successfully destroyed.

Page 1 of 1