Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink La Luz on NPR

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Surprised to see "Surf Rock" mentioned on NPR... they featured La Luz.

La Luz's Novela-Noir 'Cicada' Is A Surf-Rock Séance

We've discussed them before... but what do you think? Surf Music? Surf inspired? Close enough?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

You know, close enough. Not this song, but the band in general.

This has to be the band the frustrates me the most. They are local, they are contemporaries, they are friends of friends, they have similar influences, etc...

Those first demos they did smoked, those were so promising. I thought they were gonna be big. And they've had success. Being a local band, I got to see them at one of our cooler venues which was sweet.

But we have one big problem... they haven't gotten better. Obviously that first demo was a lo-fi thing. Sounds great! Great energy, good tones, I like it. But listening to albums since, they aren't improving upon their harmonies, they keys haven't gotten better (they sorely need to), it's just kind of paint by numbers 60s surf/girl group/garage/etc... Ya know? They sorely lack in dynamics as well.

Their drummer is freaking great live.

I think Vivian Girls are an influence on La Luz, but listen to how much tighter the vocals are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYFeHVkFLBY
I might be biased (friend in the band) towards Vivian Girls who I'm not even a big fan of but they come to mind first when I hear La Luz. And I do hate to draw that conclusion because comparing girl bands together should be tread carefully. But they both do the harmony thing (with Vivian girls litterally being a million times better), they both do sort of a loose guitar thing (with Vivian girls being rooted in post-punk/punk and La Luz being rooted in surf)

Off Topic

Jake, I always appreciate your ability to concisely articulate your/the 'why'. That's a rare skill and really tough to do well when the context is something so personal and subjective as music. Glad you're not shy about chiming in. Thanks for that!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Fady wrote:

Jake, I always appreciate your ability to concisely articulate your/the 'why'. That's a rare skill and really tough to do well when the context is something so personal and subjective as music. Glad you're not shy about chiming in. Thanks for that!

I think it comes off as really strong sometimes/most times, but answering why is really the only way to go. Otherwise its a yes/no answer and is useless. Thanks!

They're surfy. But not surf.
The sound is there but way too few instrumentals to me. The Other Side is one of their only vocal songs I enjoy.
My wife loves them though. We went to see Those Poor Bastards (favorite modern non surf band) and I was surprised when a few girls commented on her La Luz shirt.
They're doing something right when they're shooting videos, selling CDs and having articles written about them.
Hopefully it gets more womurns in surf and hopefully, it's of the instrumental persuasion.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 11:59:24

Love this band, their music is quite simple but well-made and enjoyable. I like the new single too, pretty cool tune, lookin forward to the new album. They are doing pretty good for a band that hasn't improved, touring the US/Europe, even Australia, and seem pretty laid back and down-to-earth.

Yannick

Lead Guitar in Blackball Bandits : https://blackballbandits.bandcamp.com/
Solo project : https://thechollasurf.bandcamp.com/releases

I'm glad they are expanding the surf sound but I think their best contribution will be by maybe influencing other bands to do vocal music fused with surf. I've thought of doing something similar as a project.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 18:05:24

Speaking of vocal music fused with surf, is there a better textbook example than this song?

I know Satan's Pilgrims agree, they played it live with Ted stepping out front to handle the vocals.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Brian wrote:

Surprised to see "Surf Rock" mentioned on NPR... they featured La Luz.

La Luz's Novela-Noir 'Cicada' Is A Surf-Rock Séance

We've discussed them before... but what do you think? Surf Music? Surf inspired? Close enough?

Are they Surf? Not in my book.
Their music certainly has a surfy style sound to it. But the vocals move it out of the surf category. Plus, the songs have nothing to do with surfing.
That is, unless some of you guys here are suddenly going to include The Beach Boys in the Surf genre. While debatable, at least The Beach Boys sang about surfing.
But what is surf music anyway? Is it just all instrumental music, made using certain music techniques, that qualify it as Surf?
I have my feelings, and it is that the first wave sound was true Surf. The second wave was true Surf. Modern surf is truely a musical border crossing now days. I'm thinking The Bambi Molesters, Gary Hoey, and other style crossers.
But I certainly would not classify these young ladies as a surf band.

There's definitely some surf guitar in there though, which works really well with the sound they are going for.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I really liked Weirdo Shrine, I actually thought it was a step up from their first LP. Felt more focused, better articulating what they're trying to express. I like the track from the new album too.

I don't think the uptick in these vocal surf groups really registers as a greater fanbase for instro, but there are vocal surf groups that stand on a foundation of actual surf music and there are vocal groups calling themselves surf that are just playing punk with tons of reverb on the vocals. La Luz are clearly in the former category.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 11:01:58

Brian wrote:

There's definitely some surf guitar in there though, which works really well with the sound they are going for.

No doult there are the surf licks played in that song.
But think pipeline, or wipeout, with lyrics with a love for an elephant.
Would it still be surf music?
I don't think so.

They do instrumentals, it should be pointed out. They did 2-3 a set when I've seen them live.

Pipeline and Wipeout would still be surf even with the lyrics about the love of an elephant. Those were genre defining songs, they were part of the scene it would share the same surf guitar but the lyrics would be as non-surf as any number of Beach Boys, Dick Dale vocal tunes, or Astronauts vocal tunes. So many of the 1st wave bands weren't purely instrumental.

JakeDobner wrote:

They do instrumentals, it should be pointed out. They did 2-3 a set when I've seen them live.

Pipeline and Wipeout would still be surf even with the lyrics about the love of an elephant. Those were genre defining songs, they were part of the scene it would share the same surf guitar but the lyrics would be as non-surf as any number of Beach Boys, Dick Dale vocal tunes, or Astronauts vocal tunes. So many of the 1st wave bands weren't purely instrumental.

So what I think you are saying, is that a surf band can sing non surf songs. But they would still be a surf band.
With that in mind, view this Chantays video and tell me if you would call them a surf band in this format. Not knowing they did pipeline. I wouldn't.
To be truthful I have a very narrow idea of what surf music is. So at my age (68) I may not be as musically progressive as everyone here. Perhaps I can learn something from this thread.

Joelman wrote:

JakeDobner wrote:

So what I think you are saying, is that a surf band can sing non surf songs. But they would still be a surf band.
With that in mind, view this Chantays video and tell me if you would call them a surf band in this format. Not knowing they did pipeline. I wouldn't.
To be truthful I have a very narrow idea of what surf music is. So at my age (68) I may not be as musically progressive as everyone here. Perhaps I can learn something from this thread.

They were still a surf band though, that song doesn't undo what they did before. That song isn't surf nor is the La Luz song posted earlier. I'm just pointing out that surf bands branched out quite a bit.

Like I said the instrumentals are few and far between, but they have them. I wish they did more. I rather like Suntroke.
Personally, I don't want to hear about surfing. Maybe if you could work zombies into it or something. Is the surf board jet powered in anyway?
I've loved The Misfits and The Cramps since '99, so no surprise I like songs by Route 66 Killers, Phantom Creeps, and The Creepniks.
They mostly play instrumentals but when they write a vocal song, it retains surfiness but injects sci-fi or horror humor.
The Creepniks Zombie Kinda Love is a good example.
Being a western fan I enjoyed the Hellbenders vocal songs, as well.

gatorfiend wrote:

Personally, I don't want to hear about surfing.

Same!

Ok I decided I needed more education on this band. So I went to YouTube and found a whole set to listen to. I'll post it below.
My analysis is that the lead guitar player certainly has a surf guitar back ground. You can hear the licks as she plays. But that doesn't make them a surf band. Sorry I won't buy it.
But over all I would say that they are closer to the Bangles or even Blondie with the off key singing than anything at all resembling a surf band.
Have you ever went to one of the conventions this site has? You won't find 'Anything' near what these young ladies are playing. I'd say a SG101 convention music would certainly define surf music.
Here's what I watched.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 17:49:19

I think all that Jake is saying is that the presence of vocals shouldn't shut out a band from being a surf band, at least going by history. Personally I think it really doesn't matter what box you put a band in. A genre should be to help you describe music. It shouldn't be a club.

Surf is weird in that respect because it does refer back to a very specific phenomenon, but the term has morphed over time. I think La Luz probably has more in common with The Beach Boys than (to pick a random one) The Phantom Four does. I think a lot of bands that we call surf now sound pretty far from the 60's material. Our definition of surf has been molded into something different over time, but for a lot of people the 60's are still what people think of.

I think there are much worse bands than La Luz for people to think of when they hear the word surf. I know people ask me all the time if I like the band Surfer Blood. They have "Surf" in their name so they must be my thing, right?

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

They're doing what they want and it appears to be working for them.
No one is saying they're a surf band, no one said that. You said what we all said; that they have surfy elements to their music. They clearly appreciate the genre.
Like Yngwie (gross)obviously liked/can play classical music, it's fingerprints are all over his music...but would you call it classical music?
Nah, it's Bach and roll!!!

Goto Page: 1 2 Next