Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Surfybear Surfytrem build

Page 1 of 1

I'm putting together an outboard box using the Surfy Industries reverb and tremolo kits. Is there any problem using One 12V power supply to power Both boards? Also, the kits' recommended power is 12V 1A. Would a 12V 1.25A power supply be okay , especially considering it's powering both boards, or would the extra amperage hurt 'em.
Thanks for any advice! I'll post a picture or two as I go. Seaweed

No problem powering both boards with one power supply 1A or 1,25A.
Surfy Bear needs 500 to 1000mA
Surfy Trem needs 5mA.

Circuits only draw the amount of current that they need.
Power supplies don't 'push' their power/current, they only make it available.
Just make sure that the power supply can at least deliver what the pedal wants (and a bit extra as safety reserve).

It's another story when it comes to voltage. It's best to match it, you can go lower but too much can damage your circuit.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018 18:00:02

j_flanders wrote:

No problem powering both boards with one power supply 1A or 1,25A.
Surfy Bear needs 500 to 1000mA
Surfy Trem needs 5mA.

Circuits only draw the amount of current that they need.
Power supplies don't 'push' their power/current, they only make it available.
Just make sure that the power supply can at least deliver what the pedal wants (and a bit extra as safety reserve).

It's another story when it comes to voltage. It's best to match it, you can go lower but too much can damage your circuit.

Too little voltage can be every bit as damaging as too much. If a 9 volt pedal tries to run on 5 volts the current flowing will be 1.8x as much. The answer is to use the right voltage.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

synchro wrote:

Too little voltage can be every bit as damaging as too much. If a 9 volt pedal tries to run on 5 volts the current flowing will be 1.8x as much. The answer is to use the right voltage.

That would mean it's dangerous to use batteries with pedals...
I've never heard of a damaged pedal because the battery was depleted.
People sometimes actually use 'dead' batteries on purpose with pedals (fuzzes)

Some pedals also have a starve function/knob with which you can lower the supply voltage. There is nothing special in those circuits to protect them from the 'too low voltage'.

Heaven forbid there will be a power outage because I will be running my 9V pedals at zero volts. According to you the current will be infinte...

Also Ohms law says current would be lower (not higher) if you lower the voltage.

I'm no EE so I may be wrong, in which case I'm keen to learn from you and hear your explanation.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018 18:06:46

j_flanders wrote:

synchro wrote:

That would mean it's dangerous to use batteries with pedals...
I've never heard of a damaged pedal because the battery was depleted.
People sometimes actually use 'dead' batteries on purpose with pedals (fuzzes)

Some pedals also have a starve function/knob with which you can lower the supply voltage. There is nothing special in those circuits to protect them from the 'too low voltage'.

Heaven forbid there will be a power outage because I will be running my 9V pedals at zero volts. According to you the current will be infinte...

Also Ohms law says current would be lower (not higher) if you lower the voltage.

I'm no EE so I may be wrong, in which case I'm keen to learn from you and hear your explanation.

You’ve got me thinking. I’m not an EE either, but I work with electrical issues frequently and nothing has burned down yet. Smile Running devices undervolt is not good for them. The device will try to draw the power it needs and if the voltage is low it takes more current to do the work required (measured in watts). More current = more heat, and that’s never good.

With a battery, things are different. As a battery depletes, the voltage under load will sag, but if the device continues to draw power the battery will soon deplete all the way. Literally, the battery will die before it harms the device.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Page 1 of 1