Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Visiting Huntington / Venice Beach in April - Things to see and do?

Page 1 of 1

So I'll be kicking around the LA area the first two weeks of April. Whilst there I'm keen to peruse some record and instrument stores and hopefully catch a gig or two if anythings going on.

Help a brother out and hit me up with some suggestions of things and places to check out? I've got the International Surfing Museum on my list already.

I'll be in Huntington Beach the first weekend of April, then Venice Beach after that. If anyone is up for catching a beer (or protein vegetable shake, or whatever it is you Californian types like to drink Big Grin ) then let me know.

Thanks!

The International Surfing Museum is a wonderful organization, and a longtime sponsor of Surfin' Sundays, but the Museum's surfing exhibit is fairly minimal. Their gift shop is worth exploring, and includes a small stock of surf music CDs, and DVDs. Be sure to check out the gigantic surfboard mounted in the Museum parking lot.

Record Surplus in West Los Angeles has both vinyl and CD surf music sections.
If you're feeling adventurous, visit Amoeba Music in Hollywood, which will almost overwhelm your time, senses, and monetary resources. Very deep catalog.

Abbot Kinney Boulevard in Venice is worth a stroll to see some of the "hipster" hangouts.

Hope that you enjoy your visit!

Down the Interstate 5, in Carlsbad, is the NAMM affiliated 'Museum Of Making Music'.

A lot of very cool Vintage Instruments and recording equipment. Plan on being there at least a couple of hours. Well worth the (reasonable) price of admission.

-Cheers, Clark-

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

For me, a tourist when I visit LA, the LA things to do are:

Griffith Observatory (and Griffith Park)

The California Science Center has a friggin' Space Shuttle, Endeavour. (the Science center is better if you have kids, but if you love space, this is a must see.

The Getty is a really great museum.

An evening in Hollywood should include a movie at the Chinese or Egyptian theaters, the quality of the theater/screen/projection are something quite special and there are very few screens on the planet that can compare.

Flea markets are fun, there are several really big ones own there.

Sadly, the Hollywood Guitar Center is probably the best guitar store in LA. Norman's has the coolest guitars but the shop is kind of fugly and they keep most of their good stuff hidden away. Norman's is farther away as well.

Most of the stuff I listed is closer to Venice Beach. But LA is gigantic and odd and weird, and kind of cool.

Last edited: Feb 03, 2018 18:03:40

Sunday April 8th is a HB pier show,
11am to 6pm

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Thanks all, these are great suggestions - the itinerary is filling up nicely!

Jake - We will have the kids in tow, but you'd better believe I'll be shoving ahead of them in the line to see the Endeavour Laughing

Jeff - that's so funny, going by the previous years I was trying to schedule the Huntington days to catch the Surfin' Sundays event...choice of two Sundays and I picked the wrong one Whatever I'll likely come down for it on the day anyway.

Doh, sorry, the city gives us the days to have them on, I'll be booking it up and announcing soon.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Page 1 of 1