Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Svetlana no longer with The Messer Chups

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

I guess this must be like cursing in church, but I always thought of her as the weak link in the band. Yes, I have seen them live and to me the band suffered from her not being on par with Oleg & the drummer, who are both very high-skilled. Looking forward to see the new bassplayer this summer, I hope she contributes to lift the band up a notch from the Svetlana era.

heepeejeep wrote:

I guess this must be like cursing in church, but I always thought of her as the weak link in the band. Yes, I have seen them live and to me the band suffered from her not being on par with Oleg & the drummer, who are both very high-skilled. Looking forward to see the new bassplayer this summer, I hope she contributes to lift the band up a notch from the Svetlana era.

I'm curious what any bass player in your opinion could do to lift their music up a notch? Aside from recruiting a bassist virtuoso like Geddy Lee, the bass parts are already written and recorded. Any incoming bassist would simply learn Svetlana's parts and nothing more.

Higher heels, maybe?

_

Hi, I'm Gellert, guitarist for The Fintastics.

https://www.facebook.com/TheFintastics

Seems she is back in.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Fantastic news! Hope things work out Thumbs Up

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

Publicity move? Whatever

When you have to shoot ... shoot! Don't talk.
"Los Grainders" www.facebook.com/losgrainders
"Planeta Reverb" www.facebook.com/planetareverb

Bad publicity is better than none?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Ahh It's like Kate Winslet/Leonardo DiCaprio in Titanic all over again.. sob:)

I disagree with Heep. Svetlana is a tight bassist and is always on the beat, playing the right changes. I was impressed by the whole band when I saw them 3 times. Svetlana’s visible presence and her quirky vocals contribute a lot to the weird slightly sleazy vibe the band creates. Obviously, there is ambivalence in her membership and I’m sure life on the road is no luxury cruise.
I know a lot of guys, like the guy who dissed this forum (cf. SG101 appreciation thread posting of this same evening) think of Zombierella in almost exclusively sexual terms and discount her artistic contribution. I think that’s a typical American macho put-down of a (Russian) woman’s persona and ability, wrapped in slut-shaming.

Squink Out!

Yup she's a consistent player with her own playing style 100%.
Some insight from Here

"but I wanted something special for surf sounds and so I stared to look at bass guitars with a short scale for a more treble sound and something that would be more comfortable for me".

crumble wrote:

Yup she's a consistent player with her own playing style 100%.
Some insight from Here

"but I wanted something special for surf sounds and so I stared to look at bass guitars with a short scale for a more treble sound and something that would be more comfortable for me".

+1

Messer Chups rythm section has in my opinion always been tight.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

This is probably not important, but the band has been fortunate enough to have 2 very attractive bass players. I have a few Messer Cups CDs and really dig 'em.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3