Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Yamaha VR6000 amp

Page 1 of 1

I just acquired one of these older solid state 2x12 amps and was wondering if anyone else has any experience with them. It's a really nice amp that is well suited to surf music, as it's meant to be very clean and has a whole lot of EQ adjustability through active controls, parametric controls, two channels to choose from. The spring reverb is quite nice, as well. Fairly short trail with a respectable amount of splash.

I got it as a practice amp so I wouldn't feel guilty about switching a tube amp on/off for repeated short bursts but I have to say it would serve very well as a main amp, especially considering it's 100 watts, total. I'm also thinking about redoing the grille with a Fendery type fabric to give it a surfy vibe...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 15:30:26

The Yamaha solid state amps are cool and well built, unfamiliar with this one though.

Is this essentially a yammy jazz chorus? That’s what it kind of looks like it wants to be.

Yeah, that's exactly what it is! And it even has a hissy reverb and chorus to match...

Over the years somehow, I pieced together a Yamaha G-100 head with a matching 4x12 cabinet. It really is a great amp. The sound of a Mosrite plugged in can sound really close to the 1965 "Ventures Live on Stage" sound with proper tweaking.
Jazzer Mike Stern is known to play a "twin reverb" version of the same G-100 amp.

While Yamaha is largely known for its "firewood" instruments (there are exceptions), it does make some really great amps and effects.
The amp looks cool.. I haven't seen too many around.. hang onto it.
J Mo'

Don’t be talkin’ no trash about no Yamaha SGV Samurai guitars now, Johnny!

Squink Out!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018 19:14:34

Thought I might get some attention on that. That's why I put in the "there are exceptions" blurb. The SGVs are one of the exceptions by your perceptions, I gather?

J Mo'

I assumed those 60’s sg2’s and the like fell into the exception categories. As do some of their modern acoustics which are really nice.
As also do the revstars, which are also pretty nice.
And those are just the ones I know about

Page 1 of 1