Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink NAMM 2018

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Holy fuck... They went back to AVRI pickups... They might still be different, but it wouldn't make sense for them to be bevelled if it was a new design.

BAD decision. Very bad decision.

See the other thread, but at $2k, I’m not interested. If you’re intent is to modernize your most essential offerings, you at least give it a non-heel trussrod adjustment, right? If you want these to be your flagship bestsellers, why not at least give them some modern features other than fb radius?

Yeah, thought that was weird... Bound neck... Not a fan from a feel/cost perspective.

Also regarding the Jag pickups. They say '62 in the specs and '65 in the selling points. They sure look bevelled like the '62s.

Curious where they saved money on these...

Sonichris wrote:

These 4 are making the rounds - I think they are fake. Especially the Strat/Jag.

I said the "parallel universe" series are fake on 1/11/18. I still think so.

1.We've seen just about everything new from Fender verified by Fender - except the "Parallel U" guitars. So far, not a peep.
2. For a "series", there are a bunch of appointments that are inconsistent with other series before. Some have headstock truss rod access, others have heal. Some have vintage tuners, some have modern. Some appear to have 22 fret 25.5" necks, others have 21. Very inconsistent -
3. The tremolo is WAY WAY too far back on the Telecaster/Jazzmaster thing. The route would be 1/4" from the edge according to the pics, and there would be not enough wood to securely screw a strap button in, but there it is.
4. Surely the powers that be know the Jag/Strat looks absolutely horrible with that horrific pickguard/control plate that doesn't follow the curves of the guitar. I don't know that I want to live in a world where that design is acceptable. Not to mention the pickup switch being in about the worst spot ever, even though there is room to move it at least a little more out of the way.
5. We've seen real pictures of all the other new stiff, these are computer renderings. I wonder if the swoopy Telemaster thing is real too.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018 14:19:39

Ask Wronski,
Maybe he can end the speculation.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Sonichris wrote:

These 4 are making the rounds - I think they are fake. Especially the Strat/Jag.

they’re real. I have not seen the red one yet, but, the others I have experience with. I’ve only seen the yellow one... no hands on with that.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018 16:56:52

Wow. I’m shocked.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Wow! Call me shocked as well!

I have always liked the idea of a Jag-strat combo and I like the color combo of this one, except I wish it were Fiesta red rather than candy apple. And the switch location is weird.
But still intrigued...

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

Did this about 10yrs ago

Yes! I like that combo better. Plus, Shigeo has one similar I believe?

SlacktoneDave wrote:

Did this about 10yrs ago

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Killers from Space

Plus, there are these. Not included in the other pic.

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Killers from Space

SlacktoneDave wrote:

Did this about 10yrs ago

I do love that guitar... You executed this one so well. Every part looks so good together and that neck just caps it off. Looks so right.

SlacktoneDave wrote:

Did this about 10yrs ago

That looks great, Dave. I spotted that on your website a while back.
I have wondered for quite a while how this would be tonally similar/different from a Jag and Strat in their standard setups. A jaggy Strat or a stratty Jag? Any low cut filtering going on in the pickup switching? I have been tempted to get a MIM Strat on craigslist and drop in a low cut filter and 2 Fender '65 Jag pickups. I probably would not be ambitious enough to rout a cavity for the Jag vibrato system, though.

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

I remember seeing photos of Shigeo Naka (Surf Coasters) with a somewhat similar Jag/Strat combo a while ago. Looks like his pickups and neck are more Strat than Jag though?

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Killers from Space

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018 09:33:08

Andersons at the Fender booth.

VERY curious to see these!

Blackstar Unity Pro Bass System

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Fender is now making stompboxes and this , a thin line strat

http://www.musicradar.com/news/namm-2018-eric-johnson-and-fender-unveil-first-contoured-stratocaster-thinline

not just a Thinline Strat, a Thinline CONTOURED Strat. I like the idea. I like the idea of a Thinline contoured jazzmaster body even better.

Other then the fender reverb pedal, the TC spring pedal, the mini wampler faux spring, there isn't anything that totally grabs my attention. Anybody seen anything new from quilter?

It's official.

TarantinosNYC
TarantinosNYC FB page
The WrayCyclers FB page
Rockaway Beach Surf Music Festival

shake_n_stomp wrote:

SlacktoneDave wrote:

Did this about 10yrs ago

That looks great, Dave. I spotted that on your website a while back.
I have wondered for quite a while how this would be tonally similar/different from a Jag and Strat in their standard setups. A jaggy Strat or a stratty Jag? Any low cut filtering going on in the pickup switching? I have been tempted to get a MIM Strat on craigslist and drop in a low cut filter and 2 Fender '65 Jag pickups. I probably would not be ambitious enough to rout a cavity for the Jag vibrato system, though.

This is not a strat body. The guitar is 24” scale with pickups, bridge, tailpiece, in correct location compared to a jaguar. Even the switch I managed to put in the same location as my jaguars that use my diagonal switch plate.
The pickups look like jaguar pickups, but, are actually made like a P90. When I first put it together I was surprised at how small it felt. This is a great design for the smaller person, and , benifits in many ways.

I wanted a third pickup, mostly for looks, but, was advised against doing that because of the close proximity of the magenet fields would degrade the sound.

This guitar came in handy when did the big 5 drummer show in Huntington where on minute I’m playing raging surf, then, next minute playing Hocus Pocus rock stuff. Transition made easier.

Also. I don’t use a buzz stop anymore on this. Have Mastery on it now. Only use a buzz stop on my 30”scale Jazzmaster.
-dw

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next