Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Who here actually surfs?

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 520 21 Next

So who here actually surfs. I don't at all hopefully I'll be able to go back to California in a couple of months and I have a friend that can teach me.

Last edited: May 05, 2018 12:36:38

ME

www.surfintheeye.com

All 4 members of our band surf.

CUTBACK

ME when I can break away on a free weekend and no family plans or band plans/shows and do the 2 hour drive to the oregon coast and 2 hours back home.

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

right on dudes, I wanna learn long board, to me it just seems one a lot easier, but it was also recommended that I do so.

long board versus short board.

Long board = Caddilac. Not to sharp in the steering. Fast on a long wave. Slow all other times. Very much a crusier type of ride.

Short board = 429 Ford Cobra..... nuff said. Shocked

old surfer, Joel

Barf
right on dudes, I wanna learn long board, to me it just seems one a lot easier, but it was also recommended that I do so.

Go classic Wink "Longboard"

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

I surf every Sat/Sunday morning--when there is surf. Mainstay location is "County Line" on the border between Malibu and Ventura, with an occasional foray down to "Old Mans" near Oceanside, but there are a lot of breaks along the coast.

Longboard only--if you are just learning, I recommend start with a 10 foot--big but easier to catch a waive and stand up. I learned at age 48 and been surfing now for 9 years and I still like the 9 1/2 to 10 foot boards. Heading to Kauai this summer and hope to see a south swell in Poipu, and catch the "TakeOff's" show at the Sheraton! Aloha.

9'6" single fin. I like Bolsa Chica.

Goober, I got to paddle out in Kauai about five years ago. Shoulder high rights inside Hanalei bay. I wasn't there on a surf trip so I didn't get to try any other places.

Is that too much reverb?

I'm moving to Mexico so I can surf and sailboard. I surf a 7'6" "Funboard," which is easy to paddle and still very maneuverable. A small wave board. Longboards over 9' feet are easiest to catch waves on ... and catching waves is what you want to do! Where in Cali will you go? I like La Jolla Shores in San Diego for learning, also San Onofre a.k.a. "Sano." Don't know much about the O.C. and points north.
Sayulita, in Mexico, is a very nice longboarding wave and a good place to learn too! IF you or anyone else on this site make it down there, shoot me an email.

I am one of the fortunate few that got go surf around the world mostly on the governments dime while in the Navy. But also had established myself into some pretty connected circles in the late 80's thru the 90's.

Back then when I was on top of my game. It was always a performance board. Wether it was a 5'10"Quad or 7'10" mini gun. I had a board that was always made for the type of waves I was going to be riding.

But, now I am all about the long board. I still have one short board left. If it gets hollow enough. Maybe I will venture back out on it. As it stands now. I am just a little too heavy for the board. And I am just having to much fun goofy around on the LB's these. In fact I jut put a hatchett fin on one my boards just to get a more retro vibe out of the board.

Oh, in my band everyone surfs except the singer. But he wants to get out in the water soon.

Todays Conditions
Air/Water Temp 80/72
Waves - A inconsistent 2-4 feet with variable winds

Fun Stuff.

_RT

I surfed 35-40 years ago before short boards became popular. Hurricanes boost the wave size around here dramatically!

When California falls into the ocean, then I'll surf

The Mighty Surf Lords- Sparks,Nv.
"Praise The Lords"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHTDYfy0xM8
www.myspace.com/themightysurflords
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mightysurflords

I've surfed for over 30 years now, make my own boards and still have barrels of fun...

Nothing like a surf to clear your head.

xxreverbxx

Just got back from Kauai. Hanalei was pretty small, but I was there one February when waves were running 18 feet in the bay. I watched from the bluff at Princeville--only two guys brave enough to be out.

Caught a good south swell at Poipu on the south shore the first week of July. First day was running 10-12 foot faces. I got crunched real good on the reef at Waiohai a few times.

Here is yours truly caught in the boneyard with an 8 footer getting ready to blow its nose right on my head.

imageimage

Check out my post on the "Take-Offs" which we saw at the Sheraton. Great surf band.

I'm now back in Malibu and--no surf. Goober

<>

I was in Sayulita, Mexico last December. Nice, friendly wave. Here is a pic --swell wasn't that big but I hear it can get a lot bigger. Definitely a long board wave.

imageimage

Adios -- Goober

Grew up surfing the cliffs at Huntington and at Moonlight Beach...now days a sponger on the Sonoma Coast

www.northofmalibu.com

Yep, that's Sayulita. The first day I was there it was overhead and very good. Nice rights. The swell, however, was just ending. For the next week, small waves that were still fun to surf. I will be living in Yelapa, which is south of Puerto Vallarta - Sayulita will be a day trip. But there is a little break nearby in Quimixto that is supposed to work pretty good in the summer. Time will tell. I hope to start a sailboarding business in Yelapa, where my girlfriend owns a restaurant. Yelapa is even more primitive than Sayulita, with no highway and no cars. Lots of hippes and a few musicians, however. People get around on horses and burros! You can only get there by boat. If it only had waves, it would be paradise.

I dont surf myself but Lord Hunt has been surfing forever. He actually shapes and sells his boards on a moderate level. You can check them out at www.huntcustoms.com

Happiness is being a surf musician that actually surfs. Ride Lord Hunt Surfboards!!!

I try and make it down to Hatteras ( on the Outer Banks of the east coast) a couple of times a year. Mexico for a week or so every February. Our drummer also surfs.

Hey, how do you include a picture?? If someone can tell me I'll put one in

Thanks,Casey
Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 520 21 Next