Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Wow...now I can hear it

Page 1 of 1

The Blonde Fender 6G15 Reverb Reissue Unit arrived today. Now I can hear how Reverb is meant to be. Been messin' with various settings. If any of y'all have suggestions send 'em my way.

The unit came with a 6K6 installed, and an extra one to boot, along with foot switch and cover. It was packed to survive an atomic blast. I'm
smilin'

Happy Thanksgiving to all y'all

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017 18:45:09

One tip I can give you is that when you plug the unit straight into your recording board or interface, the reverb seems to come through stronger than when you're miking it through an amp.

The 6V6 my Reissue arrived with was damaged but worked. I replaced it with a NOS Raytheon 6K6GT that got rid of the "ice pick" high end. I replaced that tube with a TAD 6V6GT-STR and now I getting back in ice pick territory and I dig it.

I would start with the controls set at 6-6-6, then add/subtract from there.

Enjoy!

BamaSurf wrote:

The Blonde Fender 6G15 Reverb Reissue Unit arrived today. Now I can hear how Reverb is meant to be. Been messin' with various settings. If any of y'all have suggestions send 'em my way.

The unit came with a 6K6 installed, and an extra one to boot, along with foot switch and cover. It was packed to survive an atomic blast. I'm
smilin'

Sweet! I remember getting my first one! I saved up for ages, even with my parents going halfsies. I still have the box, packaging, and cabinet for it.

I'm not fan of the 6-6-6 setting. It would be a complete non-thought if it weren't for the 666 mark of the beast connection. Each unit is quite different so 6-6-6 on one is 4-4-8 on another or 8-6-4, ya know? What's more important is to learn what your controls do. Dwell, Mix, and Tone.

Dwell, simply the amount of time your reverb signal continues after you strike the guitar. Where you want this will depend on how many people are in your band, how you play, what sound you are going after. I like to keep dwell low as it prevents too much mud/overtone in my band's mix. Also, we are after drip in surf guitar instead of your reverb being long.

Mix - Controls how much dry signal is removed from the effects output. To me, this control functions pretty similarly to Dwell. Mix is the one I really pay the least attention to.

Tone - Now we arrived at what we want. Tone is going to have the biggest effect on that drip we are wanting. I generally keep the tone pretty high.

I also remember when I getting the first one. It's a really hard to get because I asked my friend who worked in USA to buy and bring it hand carry to Indonesia (I bought it from Craig The Breakaways, thanks Craig!), the sensation of drip is straight into my soul til' now.

With that unit. this year I have released 2 EP surf albums in the name of The Mentawais and The Rentones and will release 2 full album in the next year.

Just make sure to make a songs as good and as much as you can while you still smilin' with the euphoria of the new reverb unit, it will be a good song I promise Big Grin

Umar
The Mentawais
The Rentones

Congratulations! They say everyone remembers their 'first'. I remember mine as well (now gone since the Gomez' arrival). Hooked up, warmed-up, hit that first power E-chord and the wife called from downstairs "Whoa! What was THAT?" Big Grin

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

congrats ...
I dont follow the 666 rule here either ..I keep the dwell and mix kinda high ,like 3/4 of the way up or more depending ,and tone maybe at a third . ts a lot of drip but I play in a trio and have lots of sonic space ; these settings would probably be too much with more guitar players involved. I also use a clean boost going into the tank and turn up my amp rather loud . This way I get lots of dynamic range depending on how hard I play ; when you play lightly you can still hear the reverb , really dig in and you can gear the tank distorting a bit as well as the power section of the amps and it all cleans up nicely when you want it to.

Congats on your new to you reverb tank. I prefer the 6K6 in my tank; it smooths out the tone and allows me to turn up the tone to get maximum drip without the icepick. Also, I am playing through a 5 watt tube amp and with the 6V6 the tank was pushing the amp into overdrive really early and killing any clean head room. That all being said it comes down to one thing: once you go outboard tank, you can never go back. Cool

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017 17:02:24

Thanks for the info on the settings...I will have sometime this weekend to really dig into this thing. By the way when I first heard the description "blonde" I was thinking white, really didn't want white but wanted a reverb unit so I purchased it any way. Blonde is not white and it is cool looking as well as sounding great.

Fender blonde is very cool. My DeLisle Nickelbox amp is "blonde" with a brown grill cloth and looks really cool. Unfortunately, the Tone Bakery Creme Verb tank only comes in tweed...would have been nice to have them match.

I bet the tweed looks awesome....I dig tweed. Did you lacquer it like a Victoria amp

BamaSurf wrote:

I bet the tweed looks awesome....I dig tweed. Did you lacquer it like a Victoria amp

I thought about lacquering the tweed, but since it will probably never leave my house it should be fine. I'd highly recommend lacquering if the unit was to be gigged for protection. I do prefer the look of lacquered tweed but I can't really do it in my small basement which doubles as my music room and gym and there's no room in my garage. Wish I knew someone local who lacquers tweed.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017 14:36:07

Lacquering tweed is not rocket science. It’s not even toxic. You can practice up on a piece of cotton or linen twill (the real name of the fabric which like tremolo and vibrato was confused by Leo Fender) glued to a board. Zinsser premixed amber shellac is good or mix your own from Platina and Lemon Flake lacquer you can buy online, dissolved in pure alcohol.
Just soak the fabric with the lacquer using a brush and build it up with multiple coats until you are satisfied. If you have the choice of clear and amber shellac soak the clear (Platina- bleached lacquer) into the cloth and then bring up the tint with the amber stuff (Lemon lac- natural yellow).

Squink Out!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017 23:42:58

Jobeast ...now you're making me want to go and lacquer something....

*kruelkats wrote:*
Checked out some of ya'lls music. Really good stuff...!

I also remember when I getting the first one. It's a really hard to get because I asked my friend who worked in USA to buy and bring it hand carry to Indonesia (I bought it from Craig The Breakaways, thanks Craig!), the sensation of drip is straight into my soul til' now.

With that unit. this year I have released 2 EP surf albums in the name of The Mentawais and The Rentones and will release 2 full album in the next year.

Just make sure to make a songs as good and as much as you can while you still smilin' with the euphoria of the new reverb unit, it will be a good song I promise Big Grin

Page 1 of 1