Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Got A Surf Guitar Now

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

JakeDobner wrote:

No clue! I've honestly never measured. My Mandolin action could be a little lower, that is all I know.

I have two jags loaded up with .12s(both TI flats) and three with .11s.(DRs, GTS, TI flats)

Thanks. I like the DR 11's but still really love the sound 12's bring out so still waffling. Only thing for sure is that I'm really enjoying the Jag.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

DR 12s have a wound g... that is why I don't use DR .12s. I do not like roundwound g strings.

JakeDobner wrote:

DR 12s have a wound g... that is why I don't use DR .12s. I do not like roundwound g strings.

Same here. Right now I'm just trying some D'Addario 12's with a plain .020 G. Wish DR would just take their 11's and super-size 'em. But it does fine with 11's too so we'll see.

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

NO!!! Say no to hexcore strings!

JakeDobner wrote:

NO!!! Say no to hexcore strings!

Elaborate please.

Wes

There ate hexcore strings and roundcore strings. Rouncore are much rarer, Roundcore strings have lower tension/are more flexible. They have a fuller tone where hexcore can be a little tinny. The cores are larger as well, Bigger core, bigger sound.

DR Pure Blues, TIs, Pyramid, GTS are examples of Roundcore strings.

Ok...the buzzing on the low E and to a lesser extent the A string came back.
I did a slight truss rod tweak, putting just a smidge more of relief in the neck (don't know about other Jags but this one likes a real straight neck set-up w/ a minimum of relief) and that took care of any buzzing in the first position down to around the middle of the neck. The thing I did was sort of a happy accident. I figured I would just check the action at the bridge for any movement and in doing so decided to reposition all the strings on their respective saddles from where I had previously set them (there had been no string migration on the saddles from my initial set-up which is a good thing) and I seem to have found the optimum saddle slot positions for all the strings, especially the low E and A. The strings are now evenly spaced with a good compromise between fretboard spacing and being in line with the pu pole slugs. Most importantly, all the buzz is gone from the low E and A unless I really flog the strings. At this point I see no need to shim the neck as I am not getting any slot jumping with my current set-up. Now I would love to just start enjoying playing the Jag instead of tinkering. There is definitely wisdom in being a little patient and learning / figuring out how to properly set-up one of these little beasties.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017 12:25:24

JakeDobner wrote:

There ate hexcore strings and roundcore strings. Rouncore are much rarer, Roundcore strings have lower tension/are more flexible. They have a fuller tone where hexcore can be a little tinny. The cores are larger as well, Bigger core, bigger sound.

DR Pure Blues, TIs, Pyramid, GTS are examples of Roundcore strings.

Understood the difference in the cores; you seemed quite adamant so wanted to ask again. I've always noticed the better feel since I put DRs on my JM. Since you mention GTS, which I see has 12's with a plain .020 G, I'll ask how you feel they last since that's more than I'll have dropped for a set of strings in, like, my life. Also, where do you get them? (GTS' drop-down doesn't have 12-20p-54 listed to shop there, even though they mention it; might send them a note.)

Surfadelphia: Glad the issue has gone away and you've got a playable instrument. Definitely err on the side of playing vs. tweaking and enjoy the guitar!
Cool

Wes

"Surfadelphia: Glad the issue has gone away and you've got a playable instrument. Definitely err on the side of playing vs. tweaking and enjoy the guitar!"

I do tend to be an obsessive tweaker.....but I do get a satisfaction and enjoyment out of getting the best set-up and playability out of a guitar...it's all very therapeutic. Better a guitar in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Big Grin

Surfadelphia wrote:

...it's all very therapeutic. Better a guitar in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Big Grin

Laughing That there is sigline material.

I tend also to be a bit (probably too) obsessive, but also work around some age-related dexterity things. Being retired now though I can literally pick a guitar off the rack in the morning & throw it on the bed & have found I play more when it's more often at hand.

The only real heavy documenting I do is I've got my Strat where I want it and have been measuringmeasuring because it's going to come completely apart as soon as I figure what color it's going to be.

Wes

I will say on the E and A strings, if they are buzzing when open and not buzz when you fret anywhere, don't worry about it. Buzz when fretting = bad. Buzz when playing open = probably not bad. Generally you don't hear it when plugged in. Long story short, if you can hear the buzz when plugged in = bad.

Badger wrote:

Since you mention GTS, which I see has 12's with a plain .020 G, I'll ask how you feel they last since that's more than I'll have dropped for a set of strings in, like, my life. Also, where do you get them? (GTS' drop-down doesn't have 12-20p-54 listed to shop there, even though they mention it; might send them a note.)

They will last a VERY VERY long time. Longest lasting non-flat string I've ever used. I did five gigs + practices over a year and a half on one set. You can order off the website, I buy locally. Gabriel is awesome and you can shoot him an e-mail for exactly what you want.

Jake, THANK you!

Wes

Back to the obsessive tweaking dept....got tired of the trem arm falling out and all the play in the arm. Tried the teflon plummer's tape trick and really liked the results; felt great, arm moved smoothly out of the way, etc but the tape wasn't staying intact very long. Did some more research and threw caution to the wind and tried the "make a very, very slight bend" in the part of the arm that goes into the collet and that actually worked very well. I will put some nut lube on the part of the arm that goes into the collet to make it smoother to move the arm in or out of the way. Just a tip for anyone doing the bend trick.....the bend should be so slight that you can hardly notice it if a all when eyeballing the trem arm.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017 09:25:40

I setup my VM Jaguar yesterday. Found an old credit card and used that for a shim, after cutting it fit properly. Used Locktite on the saddle screws. Used 48-11 strings and set the bass side at5/64 and treble side at 4/64. Got up this morning and the bass side strings were damn near sitting on the neck...had to reset the brodge height on the bass side. Wonder why it lowered itself? Maybe I need a drop of Locktite on the bridge adjustment screws...haven't read anywhere where someone else has had an issue with the bridge adjusting screws...humpf

Last edited: Nov 04, 2017 13:47:47

So far I haven't had much of an issue with the saddles migrating down but it apparently is a common problem. Some have recommended investing in a USA made Fender American Vintage Jag bridge as the tolerances are allegedley superior to the stock Squier bridge. I used a little clear nail polish on the threads...but time will tell.
Badger, I can relate to the "age-related dexterity things".

Last edited: Nov 05, 2017 00:14:54

It wasn't the saddles....the bridge itself..on the bass side ...weird

BamaSurf wrote:

It wasn't the saddles....the bridge itself..on the bass side ...weird

Not weird at all, it happens. Locktite those too.

This is frowned upon by some but I wrapped the bridge posts in electrical tape rendering the bidge base itself imobile and positioned flush to the pickguard/guitar body. I then adjusted the bridge saddles to my preferred action height and radius. The advantages IMO of this type of set-up is better tuning stability as the bridge no longer slides back and forth, the bridge being flush to the guitar body/pg IMO improves tone while raising the saddles instead of the whole bridge avoids the strings making contact with the back of the bridge which is a tone killer, causes tuning problems (especially w/ vibrato use) and contributes to string breakage. As I said, there are others who would disagree with doing this and I am sure they have valid reasons and their own good set-up tips.

I set my bridge saddles so the strings do not touch the bridge or the intonation screws. I like the way the bridge moves with the tremolo action, similar to my Gretsch's. I did shim the neck so I could raise the bridge and saddles together in unison to keep the strings from deadening out. Took some time but found the sweet spot.

The bottom line is, get the guitar feeling, playing and sounding to your preference which we both appear to have accomplished. We both are Gretsch guys, so the jump to a strange little beast like a Jag was just another puzzle to be sorted out. We are definitely consistent in our different approaches to bridges. When I upgraded the stock bridge on my Gretsch I opted for a Tru Arc Rock Steady Bar Bridge rather than the Rocking Bar version. I still marvel at how nice a playing and sounding guitar that the VM Jag is pretty much bone stock with just a little elbow grease, a couple set-up tricks and a set of proper gauge strings for under 300.00.

Last edited: Nov 06, 2017 11:13:27

Goto Page: Previous 1 2