Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Got A Surf Guitar Now

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

After getting my Tone Bakery Outboard Reverb Unit I figured I needed to get a "Surf" guitar. Not that the guitars I presently have can't be used for Surf...hell, good players can play good surf music on a plastic uke but I am not much of a guitar player but I do enjoy playing and tinkering.
It's just a humble Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar. It was in near mint condition and at the price I couldn't pass. Got it at a nice small independently owned shop in York, PA (worth the 2hr drive to actually put my hands on the guitar as opposed to ordering). The shop had some very cool vintage guitars and amps also. They actually had two VM Jags, Candy Apple Red and Sea Foam Green....I went for the Seafoam Green. Early impressions: typical Jag bridge issues which I have gotten pretty close to curing with a set of 11's and a basic set-up. I had a couple sets of Ernie Ball nickel plated 11's in spares box so I used that but looking to go with some pure nickel wounds next string change. I know this is heresy to some but I put electrical tape around the bridge posts so the bridge wouldn't move around in the thimbles, set it flush on the pick guard and raised the saddles to get the appropriate radius to match the fretboard and my preferred action (4/64ths" at the 12th fret low E and a hair lower for the high E)and removed a bit of relief from the neck. Actually plays nicely and most of the buzz is gone. The strings are staying in the bridge saddles pretty well also but I would love to get a better bridge but the two good options, the Stay Trem and Mastery are beyond my budget right now. I thought that maybe the Fender Import Mustang bridge w/ the height adjustable saddles might be a good option but I am hearing there are some issues with string spacing primarily on the low and high E's being too close to the fretboard edge (if anyone has any experience with this bridge I'd love to know how it worked out). Anyway, pretty impressed with the overall quality of the VM Jag especially the neck, frets, etc. Electronics work as they should and the Duncan Designed pu's sounded very good in the shop. I will hook it up to my rig and dial the pu's in next chance I get but the Jag tone seems to be there. I will also take some pictures next chance I get and post them. One last thing, strictly cosmetic, I am thinking of replacing the stock white pick guard with either a mint or cream colored guard. The stock white guard just looks a bit "sterile" to me.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017 14:19:09

Congratulations on your new Jag.
I have a bunch of really nice guitars and yet one of those Squier Jags still burns bright on my want list.
Enjoy!

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

Congrats on your new jag!! How are you liking the tone bakery reverb unit??

All of the vintage modified series are pretty amazing instruments, without price even being considered. Don’t like the poly neck? Sand it off and tru oil it, it’s only a couple hundred dollar axe...so no biggie.

Grats on the score. My vote is for mint.
As far as bridges, my vote is for mastery. It’s expensive, and they take forever to ship, but even the staytrem on my vi doesn’t compare.
If it’s a guitar you think you’ll keep indefinitely I’d even venture to say the full mastery kit is worth it, the vibrato and bridge. It’ll probably cost more than what you paid for the guitar, but they got the offset hardware absolutely dialed.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017 19:02:24

Mastery is the way to go, it retains my favorite properties of a Jag and adds reliability and some extra sustain while evening out freqeuency gamut.

But, as for your current bridge woes I would just recommend putting an AVRI Jag/Jazzmaster bridge on there. Mustang bridges sound like hell, in my opinion, and you heard correct on the string spacing issues. The Mustang bridge not sounding good is why I recommend a Mastery over a Staytrem. The Staytrem on a VI is much better than the Jag/Jazz version.

If I were you, I'd upgrade the vibrato first. That is, if you like to use the unit for anything beyond depressing a chord. The vibrato is the weakest part on that guitar. The bridge isn't great, but you can make do with a bad bridge. A bad vibrato, you won't be using it much.

Anyways, you absolutely don't need to upgrade anything! I would recommend getting a cheap AVRI bridge, nobody wants them but they are okay and can be setup to play just fine! I was gigging mostly without issues long before the Mastery came out.

I have the Squier VI, so welcome to the Squier club! Good instrument!

Thanks for all the helpful advice. This is my first offset and experience with the notorious Jag/JM bridge (been pretty much a Gretsch/Guild archtop and Tele guy). For what I do, the stock vibrato has been working fine....enough wobble and stays in tune surprisingly well but I am used to Bigsby's so I understand judicious use of the whammy bar. It is unfortunate that someone doesn't make a moderately priced alternative to the Jag/JM bridge. Proper deeper saddle slots in the correct spacing, better height adjustment screws and maybe optional nylon sleeves for the posts if you want to disable the rocking feature.
I am intrigued by the recommendation of the AVRI bridge. Is there something better about that bridge that is an improvement over the stock import VM Jag bridge?
With regards to the Tone Bakery Reverb Unit. Couldn't be happier with it.
IMO, you can't beat it for under 400.00 (got mine for 33.00 incl free shipping).
Changing out the stock 6V6 for a proper NOS 6K6 cleaned up that bit of OD grind it was hitting my amp with when cranked and tamed the high end although some might like that. It really nails the vintage '63 reverb tone from fat blues 'verb to super drippy surf. The only thing I would recommend is for a gigging musician to have the uncoated tweed cloth covering lacquered for protection....mine never leaves the house so it would only be for cosmetics.

The metal is different, tolerances are better in the screws/holes for the screws. Just a nice bit of kit. You should be able to find them cheap on ebay as people consider them a throw away part, but they are a definite upgrade. I used one for 7-8 years of gigging and practice. It isn't the best but it for sure works! I wouldn't be able to gig/practice several days a week with the Squier one, it wouldn't do.

I'm intrigued by this Reverb unit you speak off... I have three already so I don't really need another but still...

Guild is incredible, I saw you mention Guild so I had to chime in with that. Their 60s output is better than Gretsch and rivals Gibson's build quality with Guild just lacking the variety of options. I've own a couple, and currently own a '59 Gretsch 6119 which is incredible, so I don't mean to throw Gretsch under a bus like I did in the previous sentence, Guild was just that awesome.

I forgot to mention, the VM Jag sounds great with the Tone Bakery Reverb Unit. I was really pleasantly surprised by the stock Duncan Designed pu's in the VM Jag (once I figured out the switching system Laughing ). Fatter, tighter low end than I was expecting (even the bridge pu isn't thin sounding at all) and while there is plenty of high end on hand it's not shrill or ice picky whatsoever. Definitely the sound I was looking for surfy stuff. There's something about these vintage style Jags that begs for for big doses of reverb...the more 'verb the better it sounds unlike other guitars that disappear in too much reverb.
Re my Gretsch and Guild guitars. My Gretsch is a 2006 6116 PTV Power Tenny made at the Terada plant in Japan. Incredible guitar. TV Jones PowerTron pu's, pinned bridge base, '59 Trestle bracing, Sperzel Locking tuners all stock except for the Tru Arc Bar Bridge. Immaculate, perfect, build quality and playability. The Guild is a Korean made Newark St Series X175B Manhattan with very accurate reproductions of the vintage Guild Franz pu's that look alot like P-90's but have a sound of their own. It's not a vintage USA Guild but it's made very well and has one of the nicest necks I have ever played. I also have a very nice MIM Fender Classic Player Tele in faded Sonic Blue w/ USA Custom Shop pu's...a very nice playing and killer sounding Tele. Last but not least is a MIJ ESP/Edwards Les Paul copy. One of those non-export guitars you generally have to order from Japan. Beautiful flame maple top, finished in real Nitro Cellulose lacquer w/ Duncan Seth Lover pu's. Great sounding and playing alternative to a Gibson for much less $$$. But I gotta say, this little cheap Jag is a bunch of fun....really gets the "sound" without a lot of effort.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017 22:47:45

Oh dude! The 6116 is the two pickup version of my '6119!

And Jag pickups put out way more low end than anybody ever thinks.

The 6116PTV and the single pu 6119PTV are great arch tops for rock n roll. Gretsch made an initial run of 100 6116PTV's in '06 (mine is from that run) and a year or so later, another small run.
Until owning a Jag, I never noticed that the pu's (at least the covers) are actually larger than Strat pu's. The Duncan Designed VM pu's like most good Jag pu's pretty much have their own unique sound when coupled with the extra short scale, Jag bridge and trem. Gotta wonder what a Jag neck pu would sound like in a Tele neck position? I know they did a VM Tele with a Jazzmaster neck pu (and JM neck) that sounded great...another Squier VM sleeper.

Surfadelphia wrote:

I thought that maybe the Fender Import Mustang bridge w/ the height adjustable saddles might be a good option but I am hearing there are some issues with string spacing primarily on the low and high E's being too close to the fretboard edge (if anyone has any experience with this bridge I'd love to know how it worked out).

I went through that exact journey with my (started life as) VM Jazzmaster. I found the import version (the one with string slots & height screws) adequate but only when compared to a standard Mustang bridge (which is an even bigger mistake). After dialing in desired string gauge & action setup (including a shim) I went back to the stock bridge & life was good. The import version of the Mustang bridge didn't yield enough freeboard; exactly the issue you queried & Jake confirmed. The difference in machining quality in things like screws may mean you want to use the string or loc-tite method to keep the height screws from backing out once you have them to your liking.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Thanks for all the info on the bridge alternatives....glad I didn't order any of them. I am considering shimming the neck. Right now the problem I am having is kind of a "push/pull" thing. I am getting some unwanted buzz on the low E and A strings when fretted but I don't think it's the bridge; I probably just need to put a bit of relief back in the neck but what then happens is there is less string tension on the bridge saddles (especially if I lower them a hair to get the action down a bit more) and alot of the bridge buzz returns, even on open strings. Any suggestions re what to use to shim the neck? I have plenty of expired credit cards, etc laying around.

Shimmed is how they originally came!

In my experience it seems you're talking about a couple of different things here. If it were me, I'd shim the neck with a small piece of 400-grit sandpaper or thinner, doubled-over or not, to get maybe .008-.010" thickness. You can use something else; just happens to be what I use, doesn't compress over time. With shimming, a little goes a long way. Then you can raise the whole bridge a bit to get some better break-angle without sacrificing the jangly character of the guitar.

Relief is a different deal and the basic Fender setup ref is a good starting point for that. On a VM you have, what, a 9.5" radius neck? Try .010 of relief (25mm) as they recommend measuring it. Also, when you adjust saddles, make the sure the individual saddle is level, BOTH screws tight to the bridge plate. This can be another unwanted source of rattling, the wrong kind.

Getting individual string heights right will result in following the radius of the fingerboard (so maybe 3 things not 2, lol). Again, I'd start with the Fender ref of 5/64 bass side/wound strings, and 4/64 for the unwounds. Then go from there. I've found I actually like the lower strings up a bit like that because it helps when you're really digging on them, but you get nice round notes when you need them. YMMV.

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Badger wrote:

I've found I actually like the lower strings up a bit like that because it helps when you're really digging on them, but you get nice round notes when you need them. YMMV.

I'm the opposite!

JakeDobner wrote:

I'm the opposite!

You are a fine guitar player; I'm the opposite. Big Grin

Where do you typically run your action Jake, and are you still with 12's on the Jag or... ?

Wes

Funny thing is....today I'm not getting any buzz. Just may be that the neck is acclimating to the 11-48's and truss rod adjustment I did when setting it up (there were 9's on it....yeesh). I am really trying to do the least invasive things.
Badger, when you use the sandpaper do you just shim the front half of the neck pocket closest to the guitar body to create a steeper angle or the whole pocket? I am just going to be patient, play the guitar for another week or so and then decide. I may go for those nice shims that the sell over at Stew Mac.

I just use a piece for the front half. I double over the paper, grits facing, so not bearing on the wood. Again, just what I use & it's not much in terms of thickness to accomplish quite a bit. Only know the thickness 'cause awhile back I said "huh, how about that" and put the dial caliper on it. Laughing

Wes

Badger wrote:

Where do you typically run your action Jake, and are you still with 12's on the Jag or... ?

No clue! I've honestly never measured. My Mandolin action could be a little lower, that is all I know.

I have two jags loaded up with .12s(both TI flats) and three with .11s.(DRs, GTS, TI flats)

12's are a bit much for my small, 60 yr old, arthritic hands...even on a 24" scale neck.

Goto Page: 1 2 Next