Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink 15" speakers or bust!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

I've heard mixed reviews on Neo magnet speakers. I've never played through one so I can't offer much in the way of help there, but I do prefer matched speakers. The exception to that is our 2-15 small box Showman cab that our bass player uses has an EV-15B in the lower position and a 15L in the upper. Those seem to be very complementary and well matched. I played for years in a top-40 band where our bass player used a pair of Sunn 200S cabs set up that way and with them powered by an SVT......... He took no prisoners.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

I got a nice brown Super amp and play it most of the time.

Haven't heard / played my JBL 15"s for long time. Maybe I got so much used to the supers 10" Alnico sound (2 Emminence 10" Alnicos - I think EM1050AL or similar). Last time I played the 15s it was kind of strange to me :-|... And I struggled dialing in a good garage / fuzz sound...

Hmmm... I think I should play them more often. Habituation changes ones perception (I used to absolutely love the 15" JBLs sound). But in general: I really really like 10" speakers.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017 05:48:33

eddiekatcher wrote:

I've heard mixed reviews on Neo magnet speakers. I've never played through one so I can't offer much in the way of help there...

You actually HAVE, Ed! My Vibroverb has a single 12" Jensen Neo. I know it's not the "testing" experience you're talking about, but it's something. I love that speaker.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 12:49:56

Tqi wrote:

I will fight to the death to defend the 2x10 and the 4x10, and especially the 2x2x10.

To the death.

That's a bit extreme. How about two out of three thumb wrestling matches?

Thanks Jamie, I remember you telling me that, my bad and once again I really appreciated the use of your Vibroverb. However due to fact that it was so close to the floor, and I couldn't really hear myself much at Trader Vic's, in that environment, it wasn't a true test of what the speaker could really do. Had I been able to get the amp up to where I could hear it better, it might well have knocked my socks off. (Actually when I think about it, from where the amp was sitting, it probably did knock my socks off) Hope you get the humor in that.........! We'll have to jam sometime at the MM warehouse and really run it through it's paces.

All in all, this speaker banter is pretty subjective anyway. What does one do with a basement full of big heavy speakers? He lugs them around. I did get smarter years back and build those open mini-15 cabs. Best thing since swiss cheese.

Cheers!

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

eddiekatcher wrote:

Thanks Jamie, I remember you telling me that, my bad and once again I really appreciated the use of your Vibroverb. However due to fact that it was so close to the floor, and I couldn't really hear myself much at Trader Vic's, in that environment, it wasn't a true test of what the speaker could really do. Had I been able to get the amp up to where I could hear it better, it might well have knocked my socks off. (Actually when I think about it, from where the amp was sitting, it probably did knock my socks off) Hope you get the humor in that.........! We'll have to jam sometime at the MM warehouse and really run it through it's paces.

All in all, this speaker banter is pretty subjective anyway. What does one do with a basement full of big heavy speakers? He lugs them around. I did get smarter years back and build those open mini-15 cabs. Best thing since swiss cheese.

Cheers!

ed

Ed, it was my pleasure! The least I could do with you so graciously letting us use YOUR amps so many times over the years! You are dead correct about these things being so subjective. I found out with my vibroverb that I REALLY don't care for 10" speakers for my sound. Way too thin and not near enough low end for my tastes. The 12" seems to be perfect, and given that it's my gigging amp, I'll take it as light as possible... hence the neo. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I do ultimately love a 15", and would love to build a 1x15 cab for bass AND guitar (2 will work! haha), and as soon as time and money makes that possible, I'm all over it.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 12:50:20

You guys are always welcome to use our gear. I get a kick out of hearing it from the business end.

Ed

Hey all,

question for all the JBL d130 / k130 users:
do you only play clean surf or do you also get good results using some dirt (Fuzz, OD) ?
Matze

eddiekatcher wrote:

What does one do with a basement full of big heavy speakers? He lugs them around. I did get smarter years back and build those open mini-15 cabs. Best thing since swiss cheese.

Way back in 1994, maybe 1995, one of my high school band mates called to ask if I was still playing and if not, did I want to get the boys together to perform up in Hollywood.

I wasn't, hadn't since I came back from Nam and graduated from college and had zero desire to play.

Cut to the chase, after several phone calls he persuaded me to play so I went to my Mom's house to see if my gear was still there. I found it and that damn Showman speaker cabinet felt like it weighed a ton.

I remember one of my dads friends was Sam Hutton who worked for Fender for 20+ years, so I located him. At that time he re-Tolexed amps.

I drove down to see him and told him of my plight: I did not want to pick up that damn speaker cabinet and shove it in the back of my 56 Pontiac Safari.

His suggestion: he would build two small cabinets and put each JBL in each one. Great advice I wish I had followed.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017 18:08:47

surfing-matze wrote:

Hey all,

do you only play clean surf or do you also get good results using some dirt (Fuzz, OD) ?
Matze

I've been using two amps since around 1960, a Vibrasonic and Showman, both with 15" speakers.

Being an Arizona boy long before my dad made the trek to CA, my first introduction to twang and the guitar came around 1959 when I heard Frantic Johnny Rogers record Ramrod. The story goes that FJR made the first recording of that record.

Anyway, since I play more R&B and rockabilly, (I try to replicate the boogie woogie down beat of the late 30's because I am a dancer more than a guitar player) but definitely merged with tone that is commonly referred to as the California beach sound, (surf music) I can state from my perspective that an amp with a 15" speaker can sound great outside the limited parameters of the California beach sound.

That said, tone is subjective, so what sounds great to me, may not to someone else.

If you like melodic sounds rather than thunderous noise to boogie to, then in my opinion a 15" speaker will not be in your gear arsenal.

surfing-matze wrote:

Hey all,

Matze

I love my vintage fuzz tone through my 15's. Very happy with it.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Here's a pix of three of my small 1-15 "Katcher Kabs." The guitar cabinets are 11 1/2 deep, 1/3 open in the back, the bass cabinet is 15" deep and closed back. EV-15L's in the guitar cabinets, Peavey 1502-4 Black Widow steel guitar speaker (4 ohm) in the bass cab.

Both guitar and bass cabinets are surprisingly light and easy to move.

ed

Whoops!

Duh

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3