Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink 15" speakers or bust!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

I was reading in FB surf groups about how surf "can only be played on 15" speakers. Is this because they compress the sound better? Do they help for getting a splashier reverb when using a tank?

The Men in Gray Suits (Montreal, Canada)
Facebook: The Men in Gray Suits
Instagram: The Men in Gray Suits

It's because that's what they played back in the day...

If you're playing through a 100 watt amp into a 15" speaker, you get a ton of bottom end. When you start tremelo picking that low E string it will hit you in the chest like thunder. It also helps to keep the treble that is inherent in single coil guitars like Strats and Jaguars from being too harsh and cracking your skull open at those volumes. I play a Gomez Surfer into a 15" tone ring cab with an Eminence Commonwealth. It's a big amp with a big sound. It'll rattle your neighbor's windows.

But no, you don't need 15" speakers to play surf. People who say that are probably just traditionalists who think there is only one way to do it and that is how they did it in 1962. It's like people who frown at you at a Bluegrass festival if you play anything other than a Martin Dreadnought.

Kevin
The Out of Limits
www.facebook.com/theoutoflimitsband
https://theoutoflimits.bandcamp.com/

Ah, makes sense. I have a Fender Twin silverface ('72) with two 12s in it. I was throwing around the idea of converting it to a single 15"...

Fender made a 1x15" twin in the 70's, and called it the Vibrosonic Reverb. It usually came with a JBL D130f just to handle all that power. I had one early on, and My band mate had a matching twin. I think the twin was louder, the Vibrosonic had more low end, but a knob turn or two and the twin was just as boomy. I use the twin every time we practice, and it's a very good sounding amp.

There are a few on the facebook page who don't have much of a clue, honestly.

Kind of off topic, but here is my old Vibrosonic REverb, being sold by Wildwood guitars. I recognize it from a few battle wounds on the back (weird half moon cut out and paint marks). $1900. Yeah, good luck with that Wildwood.
https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/B13536/vintage-1975-fender-vibrosonic-reverb/

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

That is about as true as the notion that there is a surf guitar.

Before everybody gets all worked up, it should be made known that the above claim was made by Lorenzo AKA Surfer Joe. And I think he was (mostly) joking!

Here's the original FB thread where he stated this: https://www.facebook.com/lorenzovaldambrinisurferjoe/posts/10155767114504450?notif_id=1507770969925089&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic_tagged

Here's his original post: "2am in Gijon, taking a break after the first set of 1 1/2 hours. I am trying desperately tonight to play with a Vibrolux amp available at the venue.
I will now say something that many of you will not like: surf music can only be played with 15” speakers. Period. All the rest does not really count. Whatever you say will never convince me of the opposite."

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 13:53:19

Big Papu delivered the major body blow to Lorenzo's claim with the following response: "Astronauts played with D 120s....are they not surf?"

That one had to hurt!! LMAO

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 11:52:13

15" or 8". Perhaps one of those oval Kent speakers too. Lol

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

I eternally struggle with my sound that when I come across threads like this I sit up and take notice. I'm always on the lookout to improve my sound!

I don't think Lorenzo is joking. And Randy Holden certainly isn't joking.

But, yes, there is some awesome joking going on....

Ralf Kilauea "I sold all my Vibroverbs, shitty 10" speakers... I sold my Vibro King. The most expensive Fender Amp, hahahaaaaa, but with 3x10" speakers! 15" speakers simply rule for Surf. Everything else is pussy surf..."
Chris Barfield "I converted my Vibroking from 3x10" to 1x30".

I'm of the opinion that it's the music itself that counts. The gear is just for fun.

Why stop at 15"? Why not 18"?

On a serious note, I have a 15" Jensen in my early 60s Vibrasonic. There is really nothing like the low end that speaker puts out. It really helps fill out the sound of the trio. Not to mention the difference it makes when playing a baritone guitar.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

I go by this rule of thumb that works for me sound-wise:
2x8=1x10(student,noodling around junk); 2x10 = 1x12(practice amp);
2x12=1x15(OK for a small club); 2x15=true surf sound(.. period)

Coupled with the 2x15 is the requisite amp volume. Sadly, many in the instrumental community are advancing in years and want the G.V.(Geriatric Volume) to which a 2x15 is not conducive. I've hit this situation a few times in my playing. It's rock'n'roll... it's suppose to be LOUD.

As it has been said, "If it's too loud, then you're to goddamn old".
J Mo'

It's a matter of taste. I love 15" speakers. Not really a case of more bass, just more of everything. A different kind of sound. Some people hate it. I go back and forth between 4x10 and 1x15, can't decide which is better.
MD

Sonichris wrote:

I don't mean that he's joking about his strong preference for 15" speakers, but he's joking in how strongly he stated that preference - he definitely does not REALLY mean that "surf music can only be played with 15” speakers. Period. All the rest does not really count. Whatever you say will never convince me of the opposite." Again, the ASTRONAUTS used 12" speakers - and they're like gods to him! He knows that, too!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I like Chris Barfield's 1x30" idea....

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

IvanP wrote:

Sonichris wrote:

I don't mean that he's joking about his strong preference for 15" speakers, but he's joking in how strongly he stated that preference - he definitely does not REALLY mean that "surf music can only be played with 15” speakers. Period. All the rest does not really count. Whatever you say will never convince me of the opposite." Again, the ASTRONAUTS used 12" speakers - and they're like gods to him! He knows that, too!

Well, that's very much Lorenzo, right? I mean, he did just play a 1.5 hour surf set through a 2x10 amp before saying you can't do what he just did. He's very black or white... Until he's not. I do believe he was somewhat irritated that he didn't have a 15" speaker setup. Otherwise, why mention it.

At least he had a Fender amp to use. I had to do it once with a Randall Chorus amp, a fine amp, but not what I was used to. I had to use a Marshall with a 4x10 once too.

gratuitous Astronauts photo.....with 1x12 Tonering cabinets.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 15:01:52

Again, I do really think Lorezno had his tongue in his cheek. Yes, he was irritated by the sound of the 2x10 amp, but he doesn't really mean what he wrote! Just enjoying stirring the pot.... Stir the Pot

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 15:07:43

One of my band mates called me today to relate there was a pot to stir here, and asked me to read this Thread and maybe join the ruckus.

Ivan, Chris, please don't put any nitro in your responses. This reply is simply my opinion, based upon MY experience, and surely not superior to anyone else, including both of you. You two know I respect your opinions and I only typed this paragraph to request, remember, I am an old man, so don't pack too much nitro in your responses (be gentle) if I appear to have contradicted anything either of you said. That would never be my intent.

My first amp was a 59 Vibrasonic which I still have; 45W/15" JBL D130.

Of course, I have a couple 61 Showmans which everyone knows their makeup.

I also have (had) a 62 Tremolux. Myself being an old, old man, a few years ago I said, self, you are too darn old to be toting around those Showmans, so, to find a remedy I pulled the Tremolux out of my folks garage. Shortly thereafter I tossed out the 2 12" Jensens and replaced with 2 12" JBL D120's. I also replaced the trannies, substituting Bassman trannies for the Trem.

A couple days later at band training I played the Tremolux. The following day that 12" POS went on CL where a local dentist called within a few minutes after it posted. An hour later I had two thousand bucks in my hand.

I also have a 63 Twin with two 12" JBL D-130's that I rarely play. It is no match for my 59 Vibrasonic, either tone or volume. Chris, please don't respond with nitro.

The foregoing is just my response to this Thread from someone who has been around for a while. I know some will say, too darn long.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, tone is personal, linked to an individual's perspective and preference. The dentist referred to above loved the Tremolux, I hated it. My ears want a specific sound which only my Showmans or Vibrasonic can provide. My opinion surely was not superior to the dentist.

As was often said in NAM, INCOMING!!!! I am ready.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017 22:37:45

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next