Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Please vote Link Wray in to the RnR Hall of Fame!

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Ok, we all know it is a small chance, but it's his second nomination!

Here is the direct link: https://www.rockhall.com/fan-vote/2018-fan-vote

My other suggestions are MC5 and Sister Rosetta Tharpe!

www.alohasluts.com
Aloha Sluts on BandCamp
www.arnyzona.com (my photography)
Aloha Fest on facebook

Good lord: Bon Jovi currently in first place, MC5 in last. Link also down near bottom. Kick out the mediocrity, Mother****ers!

Bon Jovi - yes he "gave music a bad name". Are there acts around that make you cringe and wonder what evil you did in that they are still around? B.J. is one of my earthly punishments, perhaps just by way of living on the east coast. He and Springsteen consistently get a station change in the car - who wants to be irritated when they drive with painful-to-listen-to music?

As for ol' Freddy Lincoln Wray, he's been gone the better part of a dozen years. His last widow buried him overseas and really has no real "juice" with the RRHOF; so I rather doubt it will happen. If those morons at RRHOF are considering BJ, why insult the memory of Link Wray with being a member of that increasing dopey club with some (not all) absolute JUNK as members?
On that general principle, I'd vote to keep Link out.
MHO as always
J Mo'

Yeah, that whole thing is stupid. They don't deserve Link Wray.

This is just plain WRONG!
Kick out the votes M** F****!

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

If I sent the link to my Polish mates, Depeche Mode would race to the top.
They love 'em.

So I won't.

Who gets in? The top 5? If it's just a popularity contest, then the system is flawed. Link is 20 thousand votes behind the 5th place band, and 50 thousand votes behind the 1st place band. Good luck finding 20,000 people who even know who Link Ray is, unfortunately.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

I think the RRHOF board is going to have to intervene, and award Link membership for his historic contribution to Rock and Roll. They should make a big deal of it at the ceremony, and then announce the creation a special Link Wray award for historic artists.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Oct 06, 2017 12:05:19

RnRHOF is a joke ...I refuse to even vote in this farce .

Here's how the induction process works. https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/induction-process

And here's the nitty gritty of it all. All the public vote counts for is 1 of over 900 ballots.

"Ballots are then sent to more than 900 historians, members of the music industry and artists—including every living Rock Hall inductee—and the five performers receiving the most votes become that year's induction class. Beginning in 2012, fans were given the chance to vote for the nominees they'd like to see inducted into the Rock Hall. The top five vote-getters in the public poll form one ballot, which is weighted the same as the rest of the submitted ballots."

Part of me wants to see Link as a rocknroll hall of fame member as he earned it, but i cant help thinking that part of the appeal in my humble opinion is that he was a cool outsider and his music was about that so if he was in the popular good old rocknroll hall of fame with the likes of bonjovi some of that appeal might be lost

Participating in this legitimizes the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Please don't participate.

It's been a Pop Music hall of fame for a while. But as long as it means so much to Link's daughter Beth, I'll be on her side. And that's my only reason.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

It's a 20 million dollar a year business. 20 million! That's pretty much all anyone needs to know. It's not about music, it's run to make the owners money in the guise of Rock and Roll History. If you look at who isn't in, and the huge number of women who aren't in, it's pretty obvious that the "committee" puts who they want in. Look up Dave Clark Five, for instance. They got more votes than Grand master Flash that got in, but the committee thought they "needed a rap group" that year.

Michael Nesmith of The Monkees had the best quote about the HOF. "I can see the HOF (Hall of Fame) is a private enterprise. It seems to operate as a business, and the inductees are there by some action of the owners of the Enterprise. The inductees appear to be chosen at the owner's pleasure. This seems proper to me. It is their business in any case. It does not seem to me that the HOF carries a public mandate, nor should it be compelled to conform to one."

I do like that they sometimes nominate people who the mainstream public don't know, like Link Wray. It might legitimize him a little in the eyes of the great uninitiated masses.
But probably not. Confused

And it won't change how I feel about him either way.

Well said Sonichris.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Thanks for the info. I was unaware of details in operations. Smile

No, thank you.
I frankly don't care whether Link Wray is "legitimized" (as Chris very aptly put it) to the people who would put such a list forth in the first place.
[/curmudgeon]
Cool

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Glad to hear so many folks talking sense here! The HOF is like a dumb talent programme with everyone sucking up to each other, all hugging and blubbing over how great they all are. Makes me puke and Link is too cool to be there.

Goucho said he wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have him as a member

I feel like voting Link Wray in posthumously is unfair. He isn't able to decline.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

If it wasn't for 3 on the bottom of the list, with the exception of Nina Simone the others would look and sound drastically different or not exist at all. All a bit of a joke really.

https://www.facebook.com/lostremoleros/

Goto Page: 1 2 Next