Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Truefire Surf Guitar Course

Page 1 of 1

Saw this Truefire course on pre-release today, from the video it looks good.
https://truefire.com/surf-guitar-lessons/essentials/c1204

(p.s. I have no connection to Truefire)

@ecv: I swear I was just about to post the same thing!

Anyway, I'm excited that finally Truefire has done s Surf course!

I checked out the video. Looks like a decent course. He covers a lot of ground, and I like that acknowledges that surf has evolved over the decades. I thought the Cuban inspired tune was pretty cool and would be worth putting some effort into learning. I'm not a fan of what I saw of his double picking technique. I'm sure he wanted to get some in there, but as many of us know, you have to put in the time to really get it. All in all, for those of you interested, I say go for it, you'll probably learn some good stuff.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Surf is a VERY overlooked genre by almost all online courses. It's really hard to find them, so I think I'll grab this chance...

panz wrote:

@ecv: I swear I was just about to post the same thing!

Anyway, I'm excited that finally Truefire has done s Surf course!

Ditto that!

I thought his playing and surf music tips were excellent this course would be great for anyone advanced or a beginner one of the best I seen

Facebook pages theSupertones
or @ Timothy C Sullivan

I just signed up and its now ready for download/streaming, looks good, hoping to improve 'my chops'

'Surf Music Lasts Forever'

I've bought courses by Jason Loughlin before and theyre quite good. I would expect the same of this one.

Bought it today, the lessons are in song format as opposed to licks. Initial impression is good.

ARGH!!!!! I just wish for once, one of these things would research deep enough to at least get their history straight. It's really not that difficult! Especially these days, all the info you need is readily available on the internet! It is inexcusable to cite bands representing incorrect decades. Picard Face Palm

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017 19:50:42

Here is Jason performing the Tiki piece from the Truefire course:

Aqaurium Solarium

He might not have nailed the core of classic surf in his lesson (and yes his history lesson is a bit shaky), but you have to appreciate etudes based on Tiki, Hawaiian, and Cuban (Manuel Galban) styles, all of which he nailed, IMO. Sounds like he was purposely trying to expand the teaching repertoire and he did. These courses run about $15 on sale..very decent entertainment value in my book.

BTW, Jason just released an excellent Truefire lesson on country guitar solo styles..just as diverse as the surf course. Nice Mexican etude that many surf players will appreciate.

Page 1 of 1