Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
248 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
248 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
168 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
115 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
108 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
69 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink IvanP playing "Dawn in Cadiz" by the Madeira

Page 1 of 1

Here's my new Foam Greenie in action (see here for more about the guitar) - playing The Madeira's "Dawn in Cadiz", co-written with the brilliant Alex Anthony Faide of Los Twang! Marvels. The guitar is set up with 10s right now, which I'm not used to playing - very delicate. The tremolo bar is also bent up a great deal, which is a bit awkward, I'll get that fixed soon. Playing through a reissue Fender Deluxe Reverb amp (with volume at 2) and nothing else. Hope you like! (And HUGE thanks to Alex for his amazing contribution to this song!)

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Wonderful everything! Love this song, watching how you play up close is a treat as always, so thank you. I had no idea how one even approaches playing some parts until this.
Congratulations on the Strat too, sounds so crisp and lively. I always secretly thought you should have a green one Cool and this is a great green.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017 12:56:47

A pretty song, played expressively. I enjoyed it.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Ariel wrote:

Wonderful everything! Love this song, watching how you play up close is a treat as always, so thank you.

Thank YOU, Ariel!

I had no idea how one even approaches playing some parts until this.

The majority of the lead was written by Alex Faide. It was quite a struggle to learn all of his parts, believe me! I worked very hard on that!

Congratulations on the Strat too, sounds so crisp and lively. I always secretly thought you should have a green one Cool and this is a great green.

Awesome, thanks again! Yeah, it's an amazing guitar! I truly love it!

Squid wrote:

A pretty song, played expressively. I enjoyed it.

Thanks, Squid!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

This comes across as a piece for classical guitar, despite performance with the tools for surf guitar. I mean this as a high compliment. It seems made for solo guitar. This is partly because your advanced guitar techniques would be largely obscured by performing with other instruments, and partly because it seems complete as is. The classical guitar quality is also suggested by the cleanliness of the technique, which suggests extensive practicing.

So, I should have written BRAVO !

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

I think playing outside gives the amp tone a real clarity and infinite space. Just ridiculously beautiful.
I say swap out the pick guard for something in mint green Smile

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

MOST EXCELLENT !!
Thank you for the private performance.
Looks like a great guitar and the sound from the amp was remarkable too!
I went and listened to the same some on your album to hear the recorded version. I like that song.

THANK YOU! I now have something to go over for the entire winter. Laughing
Seeing you do this live through someone else's gear & here is why my comment about the gear mattering less.

It seems like this guitar is going to be a good stablemate. It SOUNDS wonderful, just amp/guitar. And I'd venture that this song or one like it is able to tell the tale about how you feel about the larger frets. I must agree with Dane it's one of the most beautiful you've ever done, period.

And I'm probably not alone in really enjoying these backyard/at-home "lessons"
4x Thumbs Up

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Ivan..
A side question just out of curiosity..
What sort of zoning goes on in Hillsdale, Michigan? I'm looking at the background in your video and matched it up with where you live courtesy of Google Maps. It appears your next door neighbor in that tiny house has no real driveway and partially uses yours to park on the grass next to his house. He seems to have a garage; just no driveway. A bit odd.

BTW - lovely tune and video
J Mo'

Squid wrote:

This comes across as a piece for classical guitar, despite performance with the tools for surf guitar. I mean this as a high compliment. It seems made for solo guitar. This is partly because your advanced guitar techniques would be largely obscured by performing with other instruments, and partly because it seems complete as is. The classical guitar quality is also suggested by the cleanliness of the technique, which suggests extensive practicing.

So, I should have written BRAVO !

Well, Conrad, that is TRULY high praise. Thank you VERY MUCH, I deeply appreciate it. Again, I must give most of the credit to Alex who composed the majority of the melody. His talent is extraordinary. It was an incredible challenge to learn to perform this whole thing the way he composed it.

PolloGuitar wrote:

I think playing outside gives the amp tone a real clarity and infinite space. Just ridiculously beautiful.

Big Grin Thank you, my friend. I'm really glad you liked it so much!

I say swap out the pick guard for something in mint green Smile

Big Grin Done.

Joelman wrote:

MOST EXCELLENT !!
Thank you for the private performance.
Looks like a great guitar and the sound from the amp was remarkable too!
I went and listened to the same some on your album to hear the recorded version. I like that song.

Thank you, Joel! The guitar is remarkable. It is currently with my guitar tech, getting a makeover (in particular, getting fitted with heavier strings, but also getting new plastic parts.) The amp is a completely standard DRRI, nothing terribly special about it. But together they make a nice tone for sure! Smile Glad you like the original recording, too! Very proud of that one.

Badger wrote:

THANK YOU! I now have something to go over for the entire winter. Laughing

Big Grin You're very welcome, and I'm sure it won't take you nearly that long!

It seems like this guitar is going to be a good stablemate. It SOUNDS wonderful, just amp/guitar.

Yes, I agree, Wes, it's a special guitar. I'm very grateful to have gotten it.

I must agree with Dane it's one of the most beautiful you've ever done, period.

Thanks! Again, it was a collaboration where Alex contributed quite a bit more!

And I'm probably not alone in really enjoying these backyard/at-home "lessons" 4x Thumbs Up

Excellent! I'll do more as soon as the Foam-Greenie is back from Elderly. (Actually, I've also got the Dakota Red '65 reissue in the shop there now, and once it emerges it'll be a fairly different guitar. I'll shoot some videos of both in action at that point.)

Thanks again, all!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Page 1 of 1