Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink IvanP playing "Man of Mystery" by the Shadows

Page 1 of 1

My Shadows tribute band the Troubadours has our only show of the year four weeks from today (at Makahiki: A Night of Tiki in Indianapolis), so I thought I'd so some practicing. And then I thought I'd record myself a bit. Smile Enjoy!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017 18:39:29

Too much fun!!!
Oh, I hope someone records some of that Ivan.
Hat tip The Troubadours.
Yes

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

That's fantastic! Added bonus - a lesson on how to play the song properly!

Fabulous! Such a lovely melody played so beautifully. Wonderful!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

That tune was bugging me for a few days and I couldn't remember the title..then I just saw this. Sounds great here

Perfection.
I'd love to see that one and only (for this year) Troubadours show.
Nobody re-creates this music like you do, such reverence and solid execution...
Love it!

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

IvanP wrote:

My Shadows tribute band the Troubadours has our only show of the year four weeks from today (at Makahiki: A Night of Tiki in Indianapolis), so I thought I'd so some practicing.

Ivan,
Great job, playing a great tune!
Do The Troubadours perform Little B? (A tune with one of thee best drum solos around, imho!)

• Surfbeatnik

Wow, thank you all SO VERY MUCH!! I greatly appreciate all your kind words! I gotta say that it's hard to get a very big head about it when I remember that Hank had turned 19 - freakin' 19!!! - just days before recording the original! What a incredible talent...

Duff asked:

Do The Troubadours perform Little B? (A tune with one of thee best drum solos around, imho!)

Duff, funny you should ask this! I just wrote about it on FB a week or so ago. Please allow a brief story: Back in Yugoslavia in the early '80s there were not enough classrooms to have all the kids go to school at the same time, so starting in 5th grade they'd split us up and half the kids would go to school in the morning (8 am-1 pm), and the other half in the afternoon/evening (2-7 pm). We'd switch off, one week in the morning, the next in the afternoon. I loved the weeks where school was in the afternoon, since I'd be home alone all morning, and I could listen to the music I wanted. My favorite thing once my parents went to work was to put on side A of the "Out of the Shadows" LP, and turn it up on my dad's (very nice) stereo! I especially loved the final track on side A, Brian Bennett's drumming tour-de-force "Little B", also my favorite drum solo ever! I'm right there with you! It's the fact that the drum solo never wanders off the beat that I think makes it so powerful. And Bennett's technique was simply flawless, too - as was his creativity!

The Troubaours used to play Little B, though it's been quite a few years now. Fortunately, it's been saved on video - and on YouTube! Here is Dane Carter (of course also of the Madeira - though this was before the Madeira started) playing "Little B" back in '03 at Shadowmania North America in Toronto. We were opening for the Moonlight Shadows, featuring Bruce Welch and Licorice Locking of the Shadows. This is where I got to hang out with Bruce and talk to him for hours about the Shadows - as well as get to play his legendary Strat, the one Hank used in '59-'61. Anyway, Dane just kills on Little B! Enjoy!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Obviously great sounding and incredibly well played, but my favorite parts are those expressive moments that your face just can't hold back. It's fun to see you having so much fun with it.

Thanks for sharing with the rest of us and all the best on the gig!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Ivan, what happened to your "Little B" introduction? It set the stage for Dane's incredible performance.

Woody D
S3 #148
Henrico Va

So Ivan, nosy people need to know. How many times did you run through this little number before you hit the record button Hmmm... Question

Da Vinci Flinglestein,
The quest for the Tone, the tone of the Quest

The Syndicate of Surf on YouTube

http://www.syndicateofsurf.com/

http://sharawaji.com/

http://surfrockradio.com/

Fady wrote:

Obviously great sounding and incredibly well played, but my favorite parts are those expressive moments that your face just can't hold back. It's fun to see you having so much fun with it.

Big Grin Thanks, Fady! The guitar faces get a bit embarrassing, but what the heck, they just happen spontaneously so why deny them... Glad to see someone is enjoying them! I usually suspect people are just laughing - or cringing - at them! Big Razz

Thanks for sharing with the rest of us and all the best on the gig!

You're very welcome, and thank YOU!

woodz-dog wrote:

Ivan, what happened to your "Little B" introduction? It set the stage for Dane's incredible performance.

Woody, what do you mean? What was my introduction? And how do you know it? I uploaded this video to YouTube, but the video was shot and edited by somebody else and given to me many years ago. I don't remember ever seeing the unedited version with my in-between-songs chatter.

Syndicateofsurf wrote:

So Ivan, nosy people need to know. How many times did you run through this little number before you hit the record button Hmmm... Question

Well, I think I ran through it once before I recorded just to loosen my fingers and to make sure it's in my head. And I think this was the third take, but the first time all the way through. The first take I didn't like how the video was framed so I stopped halfway through. The second take I went to a wrong part at one point since I was paying more attention to the framing than the playing! And then the third time I was able to just think about the song. I've been playing this song for some 30 years, performed it with the Troubadours dozens of times, etc. It's just ingrained in me, so it's not so difficult at this point to perform it without mistakes, if that's what you mean. It's a deep part of my musical DNA!

Thanks again, all! Really glad you enjoyed it so much!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017 10:34:30

Ivan, the video I have is from 2001, so it is different from the one you posted. My mistake. I don't even remember where I got it. It's a wmv file and I can't get to post here. Not very high quality but I will send you a copy by e-mail.

Woody D
S3 #148
Henrico Va

Page 1 of 1