Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink I feel like getting a Mustang - recommendations?

Page 1 of 1

Can't afford/not willing to pay for a vintage one - but any thoughts on what is the best of the modern crop: Squier VM? The new trem less Fenders? a second hand one from the last 10 years?

My son has a new Fender Mustang/Duo Sonic. While it's a great guitar, it's not exactly a surfy sounding guitar. Partly because of the hardtail. I found it more suitable for garage rock.

I have played a few VM Squiers but I found them a bit anemic. That might have been due to bad setup and tired strings though. But don't take my word for it, just find a store that stocks a few to see for yourself.

My sister has owned a couple of the Japanese made Mustang reissues. They're pretty nice. The quality is there, minus the vintage price tag.

Are there many of those on the market there in the UK? (Or Europe, for that matter.) If that option is available to you, I'd say they are at least worth a look.

-Cheers, Clark-

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

Be aware that if you like to pick right at the bridge you will be frustrated by the form of a Mustang vibrato. The big cigar tube forces your hand higher up the strings and you end up picking between the pickups.

I love Mustangs so I fully support your Mustang GAS. I have a '65 Fender Mustang, a Squier VM Mustang, and one of the new Duo Sonics in Capri Orange. Fender Cyclone IIs are also great short scale guitars with Jaguar pickups that do surf very well and a good used one can be found around $600-650.

I stumbled upon the '65 Mustang in a used guitar shop and bought for just a little over $600 - it was pretty abused but I got her cleaned up and restored her where needed ('60s tuners, pearloid pickguard). She sounds wonderful. The only downside for me is the really slim neck, but it's a minor negative for me. You never know, you might be able to come across a true vintage for a decent price.

My favorite neck of the three Mustangs is the chunky Squier VM Mustang. I replaced the stock Seymour Designed pickups with Seymour Duncan Antiquity II - The '60s "Myth for Mustang" pickups. Other modifications include a StayTrem bridge (the VM Mustang has a neck radius of 9.50"), wrapped the bridge posts with duct tape to stabilize them, replaced the stock pickguard with a Spitfire tort, and the most recent mod is having the headstock finished to match the body (not perfect but close to the vintage white). Plays and sounds great - very surf worthy.

The Duo Sonic is a lot of fun, too. I primarily use her for punk/garage rock stuff but she handles surf well enough.

Here's a shot of all three guitars:

The doofus formerly known as Snorre
Surfysonic on YouTube
World Famous Philistines: 2014 - 2015
K39: 2013 - 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv9JADQ4ukw

I don´t like the regular newer Mustangs at last... Optic is great, but playing...
I have a 72 reissue CIJ in OTM with racing stripe and shaped body. One of the good Mustangs.
And a 69 Beck model. Orange. racing stripe, contoured shaped body.
Both matching head of course.

I would recommend the 72 reissue CIJ. Best in playing AND sound!!!

Mustangs always sound thinner than Jags or Jazzys. But if you find a good one, the tone is very nice!

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017 01:19:14

Thanks for the replies. All helpful!!

Snorre - that Olympic White Squier Mustang looks great. Very tempting.

ecv wrote:

Thanks for the replies. All helpful!!

Snorre - that Olympic White Squier Mustang looks great. Very tempting.

It's a little different from Olympic White - Squier calls it Vintage White, a more aged yellow look. I love it! The guy I commissioned to match the headstock was close but it's more of an Olympic White - I'm hoping that by aging naturally it might catch up to be a closer match to the body.

The doofus formerly known as Snorre
Surfysonic on YouTube
World Famous Philistines: 2014 - 2015
K39: 2013 - 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv9JADQ4ukw

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017 23:05:54

How the heck do you get the vibrato on these to stay in tune?? I have one and no matter how I play it goes out of tune with a little vibrato use. It makes me never want to play the thing.

Dannylectro, that's a damn good question. In an attempt to improve Leo's silly budget design, I fitted my bridge with some 80's Kahler roller saddles and fixed it rigidly in the body, thereby eliminating any bridge issues. But then I found that the stupid cigar tube assembly just doesn't return to pitch because it's just metal posts rocking on the edge of the vibrato plate holes. Simply too much friction. So now I have a Jazzmaster vibrato on order, from which I'm going to take everything but the mounting plate and refit it all to a Mustang shaped plate.

Redfeather wrote:

So now I have a Jazzmaster vibrato on order, from which I'm going to take everything but the mounting plate and refit it all to a Mustang shaped plate.

That sounds like a great idea. Someone should make an upgraded vibrato with these features. Please post pics when your creation is complete. Thanks

My Jazzmaster vibrato assembly came in the mail today and I've disassembled the Mustang vibrato to find that the holes through which the two cigar posts run are all chewed up and out of round. Having .12 strings and the springs on the lowest notches apparently destroys a Squier Mustang vibrato in very short order. What a piece of crap. That said, an actual Fender Mustang vibrato may be way better, even if it's still a silly design.

To tie this in to the original post, I guess I'll say that my recommendation is to either avoid a Squier Mustang or be prepared to modify it for proper vibrato functionality. I will make my modification process a new thread in the gear section.

Redfeather wrote:

What a piece of crap. That said, an actual Fender Mustang vibrato may be way better, even if it's still a silly design.

It may be better but it still does not stay in tune Crying

dannylectro wrote:

How the heck do you get the vibrato on these to stay in tune?? I have one and no matter how I play it goes out of tune with a little vibrato use. It makes me never want to play the thing.

In my experience, chronic tuning problems with vibrato quitars is more often caused by nut slot issues than by the tailpiece. Have you tried the old "pencil lead in the nut slot" trick? If it helps, even for a short time, you should have the nut slots widened.

When the Squier Vintage Modified series first came out, I decided to get a Mustang from the series, since I already had nice versions of jags and JM's. It was my first mustang. And the tremolo was horrible, no matter what I tried. and I tried everything. I'm no rookie when it comes to guitar set up, but that guitar would barely stay in tune, and if I thought about touching the trem, all hell broke loose..... After exhausting all other options, I finally decided it was definitely the trem.

So I bought a vintage trem, and you know what? it still sucked. Slightly better, but still sub-par. I F'ed with it for a week or so, then decided that Mustangs are not the guitars for me. IMHO, YMMV, GLWYM (good luck with your mustang)

P.S. I bought a vintage '65 Mustang a year later, and while it was a very cool guitar, it suffered the same problem. It would at least stay in tune for a while if you didn't touch the tremolo, and if you did go for a wobble, you could manipulate the trem back to tune, more or less. But, it was a struggle, and that is something I've never had to worry about with a well set up JM or Jag, or even a Strat.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

mike_fried wrote:

In my experience, chronic tuning problems with vibrato quitars is more often caused by nut slot issues than by the tailpiece. Have you tried the old "pencil lead in the nut slot" trick? If it helps, even for a short time, you should have the nut slots widened.

It has nothing to do with the nut in this case. The nut is delrin so it's super slippery and it's been cut by a experienced professional luthier. The problem is the Mustang vibrato just plain sucks. Hopefully Mastery or Stay Trem will come out with a superior upgrade for these guitars. Love the pickups but HATE the vibrato design.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017 12:31:20

I posted this before... I bought the new silver Mustang with the P90s for $499. I do wish it had the trem, but I like the tone. Several friends asked about the sound, so I wrote this simple Surf Lullaby tune playing both parts with the Mustang. I think it will sound great on rhythm parts. I'm playing with a memory man through a 69 Bandmaster Reverb.

https://www.reverbnation.com/shootthepier/song/27052186-surf-lullaby

Shoot the Pier on Bandcamp
Shoot the Pier on Reverb Nation
Shoot The Pier on Facebook
We are on Instagram under "@shootthepiersurfband"

My Country EP ... Florida Dirt Fire
https://floridadirtfire.bandcamp.com/album/florida-dirt-fire

My French Love Songs ... I really needed a change...
www.lonelyrose.bandcamp.com

Page 1 of 1