Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
248 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
248 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
168 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
115 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
108 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
69 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Princeton Amp Problems - Please Help!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

I probably did all of the above, tubeswell. All this because I wanted a black faceplate that says Princeton on it. Was it worth, I don't know... Laughing Thanks for taking a look at my amp for me.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

tubeswell wrote:

Its an old rule of thumb with amps, that if the problem happened after you did the mod, it was because of something you did in the mod.

That's got to be time-honored wisdom that applies to modding guitars as well. At least in this case, the amp repair will probably be pretty cheap - much less costly than a new speaker.

Typing from phone so excuse any errors. It is a blown speaker! I plugged my Jaguar into my Peavey amp and it was still very quiet, something was just not right. Turns out the switch was stuck in between lead and rhythm. I pushed it all the way down to lead and it was loud again. So then I hooked my Princeton up to my 1x12 cab once more and it sounded absolutely amazing!

I wanted to keep playing but amp is 8 ohm cab is 4, hope I didn’t do damage. Plugged Fender speaker back into Princeton and the awful buzzing sound was back. Definitely a blown speaker. Do I need to worry about Those loose washers? Please say no, lol. Thank you guys so much for all of your help, I couldn’t have found the problem without it.

Last edited: Jul 07, 2018 18:51:40

Great...I'm glad you figured it out!!!
Yes, you should take care of the loose washer issue. Obviously, you don't want a loose piece of metal floating around in there because that could easily cause a major short or shock!!! But, also...the control pots and input jacks rely on a tight and secure ground connection to the brass plate the are mounted to (on the inside of the chassis). This will be relatively easy and safe to do if you want to.

Ben, I think I did it! Thanks again to you and everyone else for all the advice. I figure as long as I don’t touch a capacitor I’ll live to see another day. Laughing

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3