Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink NGD Fender Cyclone II

Page 1 of 1

I recently acquired this Fender Cyclone II and i love it. Very comfortable to play and it gives an awesome variety of sounds that remind me of both a Strat and a Jag. It has a brilliant clear tone, and can be very jangley and twangy.
It came with a Strat bridge cover, and as most of you know the cover looks cool but it's a hinderance to palm muting. So I got a replacement cover then cut it back and down so it sits within millimeters of the strings. Now I can easily palm mute and retain the sleek cover.
I also added two springs under each pick up so I can adjust the height.
It's a fuggin' surf machine.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017 14:07:14

Very cool guitar! Always wanted one.. looks like they got quite expensive these days.

Cheers,
Andy

www.LosVenturas.be

The Cyclone always looked like an ideal surf guitar. Congratulations, I'm sure you're going to have a lot of fun with this thing!

Thanks, fellas!

Agreed, it is an ideal surf guitar. I just love the Jaguar pick-ups in a configuration of 3, so many tonal possibilities.

I wonder how many Cyclone II's were produced.

It's not just another frankenstein guitar cobbled together with surplus parts, it's design is very purposeful and practical. I'd like it if Fender reissued it, but i assume that won't be happening anytime soon.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017 12:10:48

Belated congrats and thank you - your NGD Cyclone II and this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH9-86V_Itk got me gassing for one. I found a Candy Apple Red on fleabay last week even though I would have loved the blue one like yours. Last Monday, the same awesome seller put a blue one up for sale, so I jumped on it.

I don't really need two Cyclone IIs and I'm not usually a big fan of Candy Apple Red, but I have to say, this one is really gorgeous with the cream competition stripes - also, my wife (who is not usually a fan of red guitars) thinks the CAR is stunning, so it's here to stay. Here they are:

The doofus formerly known as Snorre
Surfysonic on YouTube
World Famous Philistines: 2014 - 2015
K39: 2013 - 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv9JADQ4ukw

Snorre, very cool! Ha!

I agree that CAR looks just perfect with the racing stripe. The pickguard suits it perfectly too. In that pic the MOP looks to be a warmer shade of color compared to the one behind it. Perfect match.

And i saw your other guitars... glorious collection of instruments you have there!

Last edited: Jul 07, 2017 23:14:19

Cheers, SandBug! Thanks - I thought I was quite content with what I had until I saw your Cyclone II, so here we are! I think I have a Strat bridge cover laying around here somewhere - I'll have to try it out.

According to the Fender Cyclone wiki page, the Cyclone II has 3 Special Design American Vintage Jaguar Single-coil pickups and they sound really great. The Cyclone II was produced from 2002 to 2006. My serial numbers are:

Daphne Blue - MZ2192617 (2002)

Candy Apple Red - MZ4104586 (2004)

Surfysonic on YouTube

I also had this candy apple red Cyclone II. I sold it, and I was happy that it was gone.
I really wanted it to have, I like the look a lot!
But the sound is terrible in my ears. It´s not a "surf" guitar for me. I missed the "cool" surf vibe in the tone at all.
The neck was one of the most horribles at all for me. BAd feeling all in all... For me simply bad Mexico quality at this time when those guitars where built.
The Jaguar pickups in this guitar have NO Jaguar sound at all. I guess this is because of the Strat tremolo system. The Strat trem gives the guitar this "rock" feeling imo, and this is what I not like on a guitar.
I really wanted to keep it and play it but it NEVER made it to the stage.
I guess they wanted to create a simply rock guitar with a cool "surfer" look?
Ok, those are simply MY experiences with this guitar. (I also have/had dozens of other guitars)Just want to share my experiences with the not Jaguar tone etc.
If anyone likes this guitar, this is good for him/her.

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

Last edited: Jul 08, 2017 03:03:01

I had one a long time ago and thought it was great, but the neck wasn't my cup of tea. I sold it for too cheap to someone on another guitar forum who promised me right of first refusal should he ever sell it again, but that didn't hold. It was a neat guitar that I thought had a pretty ballsy sound, which I attributed to the combination of the nice AV Jaguar pickups and Strat trem. Maybe I was right, but you'll enjoy those guitars as long as you have them.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

HallmarkSweptWinger wrote:

The neck was one of the most horribles at all for me. BAd feeling all in all... For me simply bad Mexico quality at this time when those guitars where built.

Yeah, the build quality on Mexico guitars were rather hit or miss then. I've had some magnificent MIM Fenders and then some complete dogs. My Cyclone IIs both need a decent setup and some minor tweaks to improve tuning stability, but I figured these would be things I'd have to deal with.

Richard wrote:

I had one a long time ago and thought it was great, but the neck wasn't my cup of tea.

I typically prefer either C-shaped or chunky D-shape necks as modern C necks are a bit too slim for me. However, my Cyclone IIs' modern C necks seem to be working out fine.

My Cyclones IIs do surf very well for me, but then again, most of my guitars do surf very well coming through my Gomez El Sonido/Nocturne '63 F-Bomb Reverb Unit and my Fender Vibro King. I'll post some demo vids soon. Cool

Surfysonic on YouTube

Last edited: Jul 08, 2017 11:51:15

You guys have got me GASing pretty badly... And there's one for sale locally (Daphne blue too!), but the asking price is a bit too high for me.

The one thing I don't like about the Cyclone II's looks is the trem. I like Strat trems, but on this guitar I think it leaves too much space behind the bridge and looks awkward.

Maybe I should get a Squier VM Mustang instead and stick some Jag pickups in it? I prefer the 24" scale length over 24.75" anyway... No lovely Daphne blue option though Sigh

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

Last edited: Jul 08, 2017 14:28:56

The new Fender Mustang or Fender Mustang 90 might be a good solution, or, if you can find one, maybe a used Jaguarillo, Jag-Stang or Fender Modern Player Mustang with the MP-90 pickups? Not a bad guitar and the MP-90s were pretty decent. I gave mine to a friend's son who fell in love with it. It had a nice daphne blue wash (to see the grain) body. The only negative for me was the heavy (i.e., boat anchor) weight of its poplar body.

I think I got lucky with these Cyclone IIs - they don't feel too heavy even though they also have poplar bodies.

Surfysonic on YouTube

Last edited: Jul 08, 2017 17:31:03

The neck isn't horribles for me at all. I dig it.

This guitar has a very surfy sound. No doubt. Definitely has a different tonal character than a Jaguar. Not as "plunky", less low end output. More Straty than i guessed it would be. I found myself adjusting the bass control on my Fender Quad Reverb amp from about 3 to 4. For me it translates to a clean, sparkly tone that takes "grit" very well. Add reverb and it simply shimmers. If i didn't know how to turn the controls on my amp then i might even say it could be too twangy.

The Cyclone II has it's own sound for sure. I'm pleased that it feels and sounds different, that's one of the things i enjoy about owning a variety of instruments.

LeeVanCleef, that's too cool. Go for it! So many neat ways to go about it. I was going to do the same thing before i got mine. I still plan on it, also want to build a 3 pick-up Jaguar. Currently i'm refining my bass boat metal flake technique before i proceed with those projects.

Snorre wrote:

they don't feel too heavy even though they also have poplar bodies.

Snorre, interesting that you mentioned that, I too noticed mine was relatively light feeling, i assumed it was partly due to the large routed cavity to fit three pick-ups. I don't know. Whatever the reasons, it's nice! I'm really happy you like yours too! Looking forward to your demo.

Last edited: Jul 08, 2017 18:56:41

I dropped the daphne blue off to my guitar tech for a proper set up. First thing he noticed was the neck needed a little tightening. I should get it back in a few days after he's given it a thorough going over. It was having a bit of trouble staying in tune after every other song (small bends and didn't use the term bar). I usually use D'Addario 11s on my guitars so I know that should improve things a bit since current strings are likely 10s.

I played the candy apple red today and went through 17 songs before it needed tuning again. I'll drop it off with the tech for a proper set up when I pick up the daphne blue. She's a keeper no doubt. Handles pedals really great (Carbon Copy, OCD, Octafuzz, EP Booster). Sounds great through the Gomez El Sonido/Nocturne '63 F-Bomb reverb unit. Middle pickup is interesting and both bridge & neck together has a chimey goodness. Rarely play neck on it's own and bridge sounds perfect. Bridge & middle have a very nice strat quack. Maybe I don't have things dialed in perfectly but all 3 pickups together sounded maybe a bit muddy to me. Overall, very pleased with the Cyclone II.

Just got my Johnny Marr Jaguar with new AV '65 Jag pickups installed back from the tech today as well so I'll be having a go with it tonight.

Surfysonic on YouTube

Page 1 of 1