Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink For those of you that don't get weather. :)

Page 1 of 1

This was a light hail storm we had today. I have a metal roof on the garage and the noise is louder than the music. Smile This damaged siding and newer cars but the older stuff is tough enough to withstand this size stones. I used a caliper and the largest one I measured was 15/16".
https://youtu.be/61Pm0Srh5Gg

Good video. You should send that to your local Weather Service; their SKYWARN instructors are always looking for fresh clips of that stuff for their educational briefings.

We're getting the occasional one of those a bit later this year, since we had a pretty calm spring season. Washing the little Mazda the other day (my radio-equipped storm spotting horse) I noticed some previous wounds; so the matching touch-up & clearcoat will get some use. We're pretty fortunate here as the topography seems to "split" the cells as they cross The River & dump, then gather more energy as they cross flat cranberry country - rinse, repeat. Even small hail hurts if you're out in it; the whole Isaac Newton terminal-velocity of falling object from 10-20,000 feet thing, dontcha know.
Cool

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Badger wrote:

Even small hail hurts if you're out in it; the whole Isaac Newton terminal-velocity of falling object from 10-20,000 feet thing, dontcha know.

About 140 MPH isn't it?

Hail in June? Wow!
Early Heat wave here in so cal,
It's going to be 120 in the desert, luckily only mid 80s
Near the coast.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Wow! Last night was NUTHIN here in New Orleans. Even saw blue skies when I woke up.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Heatwave over here too. Hottest June since 1976.

+1 To what Jeff said. 124° up in Ocatillo Wells.

I'll be near the Coast this am, where it'll be nice, then I'll head Inland this afternoon and get cooked.

-Cheers, Clark-

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

crumble wrote:

Badger wrote:

Even small hail hurts if you're out in it; the whole Isaac Newton terminal-velocity of falling object from 10-20,000 feet thing, dontcha know.

About 140 MPH isn't it?

Great question. This from some cool folks who actually get paid to think lofty thoughts about this stuff:

How fast does hail fall?
We really only have estimates about the speed hail falls. One estimate is that a 1cm hailstone falls at 9 m/s, and an 8cm stone, weighing .7kg falls at 48 m/s (171 km/h). However, the hailstone is not likely to reach terminal velocity due to friction, collisions with other hailstones or raindrops, wind, the viscosity of the wind, and melting. Also, the formula to calculate terminal velocity is based on the assumption that you are dealing with a perfect sphere. Hail is generally not a perfect sphere!

Pesky things those hypotheticals, I guess. I just know they sting pretty good. Smile

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

I moved from California to Ohio this year and I've seen more variety of weather in the last 5 months than the previous 38 years.

Enjoy,
I'll stay here thank you.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Page 1 of 1