Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Don Parra - Rest In Peace - Bass Player, The Torquays

Page 1 of 1

Lost a friend and band mate...Don Parra has passed away.

Fellow Torquay, Steve Soest, called me this morning to share the sad news that Don had passed late last night, June 2, 2017.

Among the many aspects of his time with us, he was the most excellent bass player in The Torquays and always had a unique outlook on surf band life and music. Shared the stage with him many times and have lots of fond memories of those occasions.

Rest in peace, Don

• Surfbeatnik

This is very sad news indeed. Don was the nicest of guys, and his passing is way to early. I will never forget his smile and happiness to see me at
Torquays shows, or even anywhere we happened to see each other.
One of my best memories of Don was when the Torquays were playing the city of Orange "international street fair". He had a leg or knee issue, and was walking around slowly with a cane. He needed to go to the restroom, and the porta-Pottys were far away. He left to go, then when they needed to start playing, he wasn't back yet. So they asked me to sit in on a few songs. He came back and was embarrassed but so thankful that I was able to fill in for a little bit.
We would always joke about that later over the years.

I'll miss you Don!
Say Hi to Baja Marty and all our other surf friends up there.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Sad news indeed...Duff, was he playing in any of your recent projects?

Craig Skelly

Little Kahuna
www.littlekahunamusic.com
The Breakaways
The Curl Riders

From what Steve said, He was recently playing in a
Band called the Bell Airs, but they were not surf.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Sad news indeed, I really liked Don's playing, and while I didn't know him personally that well, he was always super nice when we met.
RIP Don.
Ran

The Scimitars

This is really sad news. I unfortunately never got to see the Torquays but I basically wore out my copy of Somewhere in California. RIP.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

People that are remembered well surely have a smile knowing that they are missed. Smile

RIP Don

R.I.P., Don. Here is how I would like to remember Don, from a show at the Foothill, 7/7/2000

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

This is very, very sad news. (Am with Brian in the worn-out Torquays tracks department.)

Duff, thank you for taking the time to share the news here.

RIP Don. Angel

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Revisited Road Trip last night. Thanks for the music. RIP

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

After the Torquays called it quits in 2011, I talked to Don only occasionally. But I did call him last Thursday to find out if he would have interest bringing in his bass and joining our fairly new, bass-less, non-prominent surf band...to help make it prominent.

Don and I have always shared a common taste in music. After chatting about the new project we both agreed that the vision would be a good fit, but he needed to consider all things and he would get back to me. With his limited available time (already in 2 bands) and knowing of his devotion to wife Shirley and not wanting to subtract family time, I didn't get my hopes up. Two days later, he passed away. Although sad and numb, I'm glad we had the opportunity to connect and share some mutual goodwill.

As a Torquay, he never backed down from a proposed tune to work on, no matter the work required and was a real pro with always being prepared and ready to play. If a song ever crumbled, it was usually me, but never him. When the tune allowed for it, his playing stood out - think Yellow Jacket! He had a gunslinger approach with no fear.

He was always kind and ecouraging to me and I only have positive memories of Don. My sincere condolences go out to Shirley, his two daughters, and other loved ones. May his memory be eternal.

Armin

@TheDeweysSurf
armin, dave, john, jeff
guitar-bass-drums-guitar

The Torquays

So sorry to hear about Don. We played with him in a few bands, starting in 1981. Worked up some originals with him s few years ago. Always fun, knowledgeable and a helluva wiz on the Telecaster. He had a Wurlitzer electric piano he used to let me bang away on at gigs. Can't say enough great things about him or his family. Found these pics from his time with Page One, 1982. Loved his work with the Torquays. I know he always wanted to be a part of something like that.

Nick Santangelo

Page 1 of 1