Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Noiseless Jazzmaster pickups

Page 1 of 1

Hello,

Im on the waitlist for a Danocaster Jazzmaster and I'm debating whether to ask for noiseless Pickups due to my house and usual gig places being very unfriendly to single coil noise. I've heard Kinman and Novak hum free models are the best at retaining the core vintage JM tone that's great for surf. Anyone else here have good experience with these pickups or anything similar?

Well Ben, first off, Congrats on the Danocaster Jazzmaster. I've ogled a few of those from time to time. Very nice guitar.

Since most of us are vintage purists, I doubt that there are very many SG 101 members who have installed noiseless JM pickups. I don't think there are very many people who have been unhappy with Curtis Novak pickups.
(I've thought about installing A set of Novak Mosrite/Jazzmaster pickups in one of my JMs.)

Question: Will the guitar be used more or less exclusively for Surf/Instro? Joe Barden makes a set of noiseless (read: humbucking) Jazzmaster pickups, which I believe, have a four conductor lead, so you can tap multiple tones, if needed.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Keep us posted; I'm a bit curious about the noiseless JM pickups, myself.

-Cheers, Clark-

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

Just curious, have you tried playing a jazzmaster in your house? They're already wired to be humbucking if you use both pickups, which is the most common setting. It's the same idea as a humbucker pickup, but instead of the two coils in one pickup reverse wound, one of the single coil pickups are reverse wound.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

DannySnyder wrote:

Just curious, have you tried playing a jazzmaster in your house? They're already wired to be humbucking if you use both pickups, which is the most common setting. It's the same idea as a humbucker pickup, but instead of the two coils in one pickup reverse wound, one of the single coil pickups are reverse wound.

I'm aware. But I don't intend to play the middle position only. I'll be playing all three just as much.

Reverbenator wrote:

Well Ben, first off, Congrats on the Danocaster Jazzmaster. I've ogled a few of those from time to time. Very nice guitar.

Since most of us are vintage purists, I doubt that there are very many SG 101 members who have installed noiseless JM pickups. I don't think there are very many people who have been unhappy with Curtis Novak pickups.
(I've thought about installing A set of Novak Mosrite/Jazzmaster pickups in one of my JMs.)

Question: Will the guitar be used more or less exclusively for Surf/Instro? Joe Barden makes a set of noiseless (read: humbucking) Jazzmaster pickups, which I believe, have a four conductor lead, so you can tap multiple tones, if needed.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Keep us posted; I'm a bit curious about the noiseless JM pickups, myself.

It'll be for surf, and for my own little pieces of music, which takes inspiration from 70s/80s new wave.

I've heard of the Barden, but also heard that they sound the least like the vintage JM tones compared to other options.

If that's the case, I wouldn't hesitate to install the Novak noiseless.
I'm not familier with Kinman's pickups, but my friends who have installed Novak's have been very happy with them.

The reviews I read about the Bardens is that they are pretty good at delivering modern/aggressive tones. Vintage, eh, not so much.

-Cheers, Clark-

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

Let me ask you and the others this then, since you guys don't got for noiseless types. How do you prefer to control the noise in less than friendly venues?

Last edited: May 27, 2017 14:19:57

Is the control cavity of your guitar shielded? Well shielded?

I'm going to assume (And I usually prefer not to assume) that you do have a good quality cable, correct?

The last, cheap thing you can do to to mitigate unwanted noise, is to roll back the tone control. That will usually do it for me. Rolling it from 10, down to 7 or so, will get it to where I can at least tolerate the noise.

Above and beyond that, we single coil aficionados have to be willing to suck it up, after that point. That having been said, I do have a Strat
with DiMarzio Virtual Vintage pickups, if I know I'm going to play in some place where it's going to be an issue.

I guess that would make me more of a pragmatist, than a purist.

-Cheers, Clark-

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

Last edited: May 27, 2017 21:30:39

Always_Ben wrote:

Let me ask you and the others this then, since you guys don't got for noiseless types. How do you prefer to control the noise in less than friendly venues?

It has just never been an issue for me. Power in Seattle isn't great, but you can't hear the 60-cycle hum over a band so it is kind of irrelevant.

I've heard some hum in my days, but I can't imagine it ever being so bad that it caused someone to not want to use single-coils. Just gonna echo what was written above, about checking your shielding. Pickups potted enough?

Have you considered keeping the normal Jazzmaster pickups and getting one of these? BOSS NS-2 Noise Suppressor

SSIV

After much looking around, I settled in Kinman. Bloody brilliant. PM replied to Ben

https://www.facebook.com/lostremoleros/

As Danny said ...I mostly use the middle position , never an issue .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiRvBmixxtI&t=0s

Demo of the Kinman pickups that I requested of someone on Youtube. What do you all think?

Last edited: May 29, 2017 14:58:57

They sound definitely humbucker-y to my ears. I really like how they handle the dirt, but for clean tone I'd rather put up with hum... but that's just me.

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

LHR wrote:

Have you considered keeping the normal Jazzmaster pickups and getting one of these? BOSS NS-2 Noise Suppressor

Based on your recommendation, I ordered two - one for my guitar pedalboard and one for my bass pedalboard. Works a treat! Since the majority of my guitars have single coil pickups, I'm really loving this pedal. Thanks, LHR! Cool

The doofus formerly known as Snorre
Surfysonic on YouTube
World Famous Philistines: 2014 - 2015
K39: 2013 - 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv9JADQ4ukw

I'm glad to see that you found something that is working out well for you. Even when you install high quality components, there is always the possibility that, for some reason, that they don't work as well as you had hoped.

-Cheers, Clark-

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

LeeVanCleef wrote:

They sound definitely humbucker-y to my ears. I really like how they handle the dirt, but for clean tone I'd rather put up with hum... but that's just me.

Since everyone has their own takes on sound, for you, what makes it sound humbucker like?

Last edited: Jun 05, 2017 18:45:42

Page 1 of 1