Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
120 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink NGD Joe Mascis Jazzmaster

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Opened mine up but didn't have very long to play it. Looked in very good shape with the exception that you can faintly see what appears to be a knot in the wood grain through the finish sticking out from under the pickguard. No biggie as the rest of the guitar seems in excellent condition (as it should since its new) and sounds great plugged in.

Definitely sounds hotter than the CP JM I used to have. Not a bad sound at all, just different. But I could potentially see a pickup change sometime in the future when my gear budget replenishes.

I actually like the pickguard better than I thought I would. Still, that too may be an area to change at some point.

In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy rocking out with this sweet little Squier.

Sean

montereyjack66 wrote:

CaptainSensible wrote:

Is there a pickguard that fits without having to drill extra holes, etc.? Not sure I'm a Silver Anodized Aluminum kind of guy.

I got one too about four months ago and am not a fan of gold. I took a chance and bought a$20 red imitation tortoise shell JM pick guard and it dropped right in. Hope that helps.

Did your replacement pickguard leave a gap above the neck pickup controls?

Sean

CaptainSensible wrote:

montereyjack66 wrote:

CaptainSensible wrote:

Is there a pickguard that fits without having to drill extra holes, etc.? Not sure I'm a Silver Anodized Aluminum kind of guy.

I got one too about four months ago and am not a fan of gold. I took a chance and bought a$20 red imitation tortoise shell JM pick guard and it dropped right in. Hope that helps.

Did your replacement pickguard leave a gap above the neck pickup controls?

Well, the short answer is NO. However, I'll add the caveat that I am probably less exacting in my standards about most things in life than others may be. I have had pickguards do that sort of thing to the point where I would say "not happenin'" but in this instance, I found everything quite acceptable.

mj
bent playing for benter results
Do not attempt to adjust your TV set.
https://www.facebook.com/Bass-VI-Explorers-Club-179437279151035/
https://www.facebook.com/Lost-Planet-Shamen-366987463657230/

Cool

Ok, I've had a few weeks with the Jazzmaster now, and I haven't touched any of my other guitars. I really love this thing but the only thing that really irritates me is this stupid tune o matic bridge. It won't stup buzzing and rattling. I was tempted to put a dot of Locktite on the screws but I hate these kind of fixes. So out goes the bridge.

Mastery won't fit, staytrem had a replacement but is out of stock, so I decided on a roller bridge, but I keep reading stories the radius doesn't match the neck. Does anyone here have some experience on the subject? I'm not sure what to do at the moment.

I had problems straight out of the box with the Tune-O-Matic bridge on a Bigsby-equipped guitar ― not only rattling but also the strings binding so badly the bridge was actually trying to rock a little with each dip of the Bigsby in spite of copious amounts of graphite powder applied to the saddles.

I replaced it with a roller bridge I had lying around and haven't looked back. The radius is off (my guitar's neck is 9.5", like the Mascis I believe?) but I hardly notice it when playing, and tremolo action is very smooth. I know some claim that roller bridges are tone killers, but I can't say I hear a difference with the TOM ― that is, apart from the lack of rattling. Then again, I don't have audiophile-grade ears.

My advice is get a cheap roller bridge off eBay. If the radius mismatch doesn't work for you, you can still get a Staytrem when they go back in stock.

EDIT: This is what my replacement roller bridge looks like.

You can get a Wilkinson branded one for about €20 or a noname copy for even cheaper. Radius is 12", be sure to check string spread and post spacing as well though. Mine dropped in perfectly, but my guitar isn't a Fender or Squier.

EDIT 2: I might be wrong, but I think the stock Adjust-O-Matic bridge on the Mascis JM has a 12" radius, so it's mismatched out of the box. If that didn't bother you before, then the Wilkinson-style roller bridge probably won't, either.

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017 12:43:35

Thanks Lee! I've just ordered one on ebay so hopefully my problems are over in a week or two.

Gilette wrote:

Thanks Lee! I've just ordered one on ebay so hopefully my problems are over in a week or two.

My pleasure Cheers
One more thing, according to this the Wilkinson bridge should drop right in Smile

So, I had to go the cheap way by ordering a 6 dollar roller bridge from Ebay. I assumed it would fit but of course it didn't. It turns out that there are 2 sizes for the post it fits on, and I needed the larger one. With the aid of the old drill press it now fits and I have to say it's way better than expected. Set up needs some tweaking but it feels great and sounds better without the buzzing and rattling.

When I bought mine, it came with ts own correct diameter posts, which fit perfectly in the inserts left on the guitar.

Glad it worked out OK in the end!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2