Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink VENTURES "DON WILSON" CALLS IT QUITS

Page 1 of 1

This morning while talking to a fellow attorney who represents many of the old boys from the 1st Wave surf genre, I was informed that Ventures founder and rhythm player Don Wilson called it quits. That exit results in no original member left from the Ventures. That void will likely open the door for a multitude of tribute Ventures bands. Maybe one can be formed along with Norman's tribute to Dick for the SGC? Heck, maybe the present Ventures which without any original member is now essentially a tribute band can be booked?

Yes, I know many surf purists have never recognized the Ventures as a surf band. me being one of them, however, I doubt there is a guitar player out there who has not played Walk Don't Run as well as many more whose first song they learned to play was WDR.

When the Surfaris lost Jimmy Fuller last month, leaving only Berryhill to carry the Surfaris torch with his wife and kids, it is beginning to look like an end to the First Wave of guitar players from the genre.

How sad that is.

Maybe it's a coincidence you mention the Surfaris and the Ventures.
They are playing at Don the Beachcomber June 15 on a double bill.
I didn't recognize anyone in the Ventures photo on the bill.
The Surfaris has original guitarist Bob Berryhill playing with his family, but they sound very good on their live videos.

Gotta go see the Lively Ones at this year's SG101 convention.
It's possible It may be the last time a first wave
surf band with most of it's original members plays live.

Last edited: May 15, 2017 14:18:56

Dave, my post was not intended to be critical of Berryhill's performance with his family, but just to point out the exit of the last original member of the longest running instrumental band as well as the demise of many 1st Wave guitarists which has left a void in most of the recognized 1st Wave bands, such as the Surfaris.

As the attorney for a promoter of a music festival, I have tried to bring individual members of 1st Wave bands together to perform in one band, playing their respective hits, as well as music from other bands that each had likely played hundreds of times over the years. What band has never played Miserlou? Unfortunately, most no longer perform, or, some like Berryhill, have assembled new band members, in Berryhill's case family members, but nonetheless play original material.

Case in point: a few weeks ago I ran down one of the founding members of the Genteels, (Take It Off) with the idea of having him perform. He is now an undertaker in his 70's and wants nothing to do with performing. One could argue that the Genteels were not the seminal surf band, but also admit they contributed to the 1st Wave surf genre. Because I shared the stage with them many times, I can attest to that fact.

On a previous post I made a point of the proliferation of tribute bands (not making a case pro or con-just the existence thereof) and based upon the recent exit of Don Wilson, the last man standing from the original Ventures, plus Berryhill being the last man standing from the Surfaris. (I can't use the term "Original for the Surfaris because that name is linked to another band that preceded the Surfaris)

The foregoing makes the case for bands to organize and focus on paying tribute to the bands that preceded them. Both the Ventures and Surfaris have a plethora of material for a tribute band to focus on for just one gig. How cool is that!! What other surf band[s] fall into that category?

I was unaware that DTBC was having surf tribute bands in their lineup, so, now that you pointed out that Don has opened the door for such, then that should pave the way for a myriad of surf genre bands from O/C to have a location to gig. In consideration that summer is quickly approaching, then what better time than now would be to organize your own tribute band and ask Don for a spot? Is Don's phone ringing yet?

I know your post wasn't criticizing.
My post wasn't being critical either.
Don's has surf bands in their Dagger Bar
Every so often. No cover charge.

Their next Tiki marketplace has the
Tiki Creeps and Ding Dong Devils.
Both bands are great.

Don Wilson Retires! Thread

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Surfbeat,
You're a bit late with the news - like almost a year. Don Wilson called it quits in 2016. Bob Spalding, the "third" lead gutarist for the Ventures, now owns the group and name. His son, Ian, is on bass guitar. I think Gerry McGee is looking at his last year as lead guitarist. Leon Taylor is still on drums. They toured last summer in Japan but I don't see anything on the Ventures website regarding the usual summer Japan tour for 2017 as of yet.

Bob usually attends the "Ventures fest" in Pennsylvania held in October. In past years, he brought his son and some family members to the Fest.

Keep a good thought for this year..
J Mo'

Page 1 of 1