Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink 6G15 build

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

warioblast wrote:

Should I twist the wires from the OT Confused

I'd only twist the heater wires and lay them close to the chassis. Keep the rest short and tidy and you should be fine. Good luck! Looking good so far.
Smile

Last edited: May 31, 2017 15:44:27

Soldering is done... Hopefully Big Grin

Very cool! Nice detail work.

I finally got time to fire it up.
I took a few voltage readings before installing the tubes. I had 350V after the rectifier.
I turned it on and it worked right off the bat. Big Grin
It doesn't hum and sounds pretty dreamy; yeah I'm a little biased 8^).
It's definitely a step up from my Surfy Bear; it doesn't have that glassy, slightly compressed feel to it. Well worth the effort.

I noticed some small volume discrepancies on some portions of the Mix & Tone pots; for exemple, the volume drops as soon as I turn up the Mix knob from 0.
I don't remember my Surfy Bear acting like this.
My footswitch isn't build yet. But when I ground the input of the jack footswitch and 'cancel' the reverb, the volume seems even; it just sounds bigger with the verb on, which seems normal to me.

Anyway, I'm super stoked. Big Grin

CONGRATULATIONS! Cheers

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

Rock

First coats of primer.

Looking good Cool

He who dies with the most tubes... wins

Surf Daddies

A little update on my way of the cross. Smile

Part 1:
As I was sanding my primer coat, I realised it would be better to make everything fit first.
So I drilled 4 holes on the bottom of the cab. I had to drill, by hand, from the inside of the cab to make sure my holes were aligned with the chassis. I couldn't find the bolts I wanted, long & thin. So I had to drill a bit deeper so I could tighten the nuts from the top side of the chassis.
I started manually and I wanted to make the holes look nice I took out the drilling machine. I f'd up and had to use mastic... The holes will be hidden by the rubber feet.

Part 2:
I added wood blocks for the pannels mounting.
The back went smooth and nicely.

Now for the front side, and after numerous hesitations, this is how I ended up.
I had to drill 2 holes on the sides to fix the block above the chassis. Those holes will be covered with mastic.image
I don't have room anymore to mount the reverb tank on springs.
The front pannel will be mounted from the inside.
I drilled the holes for the handle too.

The cabinet and the pannels warped a little; not my fault :-D, but in the everything fit rather nicely.

Though during my short initial test I didn't notice the tubes getting hot, I will be drilling holes on the back pannel.
I'm still looking for ideas.
This is what I have right now.
A dottern pattern.

Some bullets holes

My cousin loaned me her a stencil painting box. For the paisley pattern I will be putting on the cabinet, I'm hesitating between shades of purple and gold.

Bullet holes would be interesting (or not) depending upon your goal for a "vibe." (1.25cm diameter - got it with the big ones & still going.)

On the colors, I'm not a big purple fan for my stuff. BUT, I will tell you my fishing partner's bass boat was done at the factory in a one-time metallic purple sparkle (think like a Wronski-monster) and then modest striping & trim done in a medium metal-flake gun-metal gray. It is KICK ASS visually. The same trim could be done with gold (but maybe too many universities that have that as their school colors). In your face purple can work.
Cool

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

I finally finished my cabinet. I'll post pics later. I wanted to show you guys how it looks and sounds with a little video but it turns out my build isn't as noiseless as I thought. Cry

I have 2 issues:
_ past the 1st third of the tone knob and depending on the orientation of the cabinet, I get a repetitive, percussive sound, almost like a morse code. It's the same sequence that goes on and on. Mixer knob affects its volume, but the dwell control has no impact on it.

_ I was trying to find out if my reverb was humming or not. My amp is already humming a bit so I put the reverb in a true bypass box. I discerned a little background noise. If you don't pay attention you don't really notice it. So it's not a big concern but if I could get rid of it Smile
It's hard to describe what I'm hearing. It's not a hum. It's not a hiss. It's more a shushing.

tubeswell wrote:

Scratch builds show real ingenuity.

Give some thought to the grounding scheme while you are at this early stage. Merlin Blencowe's chapter on grounding has some good tips, especially the hum-loop blocker. See figure 15.16 in the article on this link. http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/Grounding.pdf

Agree with tubeswell on this (who helped me de-bug my home built 6g15). I followed merlins formula ala marshal ground lift and ended up with a beautifully quiet unit with an enviable sound. Good luck with the build, looking great

I'll give it a try; though I wouldn't qualify what I'm hearing as hum. It looks like what Fender did on the reissue ? Did you also isolate the jacks from the chassis ?

I couldn't get a proper flat finish with the painting so I decided to give it a fake tolex look.

I initially wanted to fix the front pannel from the inside but one of the screw was out of reach.

On the positive side I learned many lessons from this build.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017 08:59:48

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3