Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink 6G15 build

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

It's on !

Cool project Keep us updated!

I'll be watching this with LOTS of interest. Bonne chance pour le projet ! Thumbs Up

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

Thx for the interest guys. Smile
This is my 2nd build working with tubes, so comments & help are welcomed.
I slightly arranged the original layout to make for a filter cap. I'll be using a dual can; salvaged from my 1st build, a JTM50, which now is a JMP50; as the 1st mains filtering cap.

I started working on my cab with dowel joints.

I want my controls on the front.

Tomorrow will be gluing day and hopefully chassis day.

I love threads like this. Please keep us updated every step of the way. I can't wait to see your tolex choices!

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

I won't be using tolex. I will try it someday to see how it goes, but I don't like the outcomes of most 1st time users of tolex.

My dream cabinet would look something like this,Fender pink paisley combo but getting a nice paisley pattern paper or print is a PITA. And I would have to buy a spray gun too.

So there's a big chance I will paint the cab and use paisley stencils. I may try epoxy paint to make it sturdier though, but I'm still a bedroom player so the reverb won't be moving a lot.

I saw online that my local fabric shop was carrying an affordable Supro-like blue tweed.

The jury is still out. Big Grin

The cab is glued.
I cut my aluminium sheet but it turns out you can't bend a 2mm (0.0787") thick sheet with a clamping vice. I had no problems bending a 1.5mm (.0591") sheet so I figured 2mm wouldn't be a problem, boy was I wrong. Cry
I will try the grooves trick. Grooves

Hi,
New person here, sorry if the question is basic. I would like to know if you are building this from a kit, or ?
Thnx

It's a build from scratch. I made the turret board. The cab and chassis will also be home made.
I only have or have access to hand tools so I have to be smart and patient.

I had to order my parts from 3 different suppliers. Uh-Oh

Thanks for answering, looks good.

warioblast wrote:

The cab is glued.
I cut my aluminium sheet but it turns out you can't bend a 2mm (0.0787") thick sheet with a clamping vice. I had no problems bending a 1.5mm (.0591") sheet so I figured 2mm wouldn't be a problem, boy was I wrong. Cry
I will try the grooves trick. Grooves

Have you tried to apply some heat to soften the material?

I thought about it. Then I asked my uncle, who is a metal worker hobbyist, and he advised me not to. His advices on cutting the aluminium sheet straight were good so I trusted him Big Grin .
Also I don't intend to use front and back pannels, so I didn't want to mess with the metal surface too much.
But I guess I could give it a quick try on an offcut.

I've recreated the metal rim on a Silvertone Newport H42. I found the right aluminium profile at a place where they restore vintage trucks. The guy there told me to use a torch to soften the metal and tap it gently into the desired shape. Over a few weeks time the atomic stucture will realign itself and harden the material. It's a good idea though to try it on a scrap piece first. Smile

Last edited: May 11, 2017 00:46:47

Or you can make a DIY bending brake... It could be worth the effort if you're planning to build more amps.

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

I miserably failed Cry

I traced grooves, about half the thickness of the sheet. I used a pointy thing and then used a square file to make a V shape.

I secured the sheet in the vise but it wouldn't bend. I gave it a few more scrapes. I tried to bend it again, it slowly moved and then all of a sudden the sheet snapped.

What the hell ? I dug out a small plummer torch. Started to heat the sheet, but after a few seconds it started to smell funny. And then I realized I had not take out the plastic protections of the clamps. Whatever

I decided to call it quits for today.

I have just found a site that makes custom C-shape chassis. It costs about as much as I paid for the aluminium sheet. No
I won't even bother trying to find a local shop that can do it. I think I will order it. And in the meantime, work on the cab, redo a proper footswitch and rehouse my Univibe. And now I'm even worrying if I will be able to bend the 1.5mm aluminium sheet for the vibe.

Got my chassis this morning. Unfortunately I have a little adjustement to make because they made it 1mm longer than I specified. Cry

Good luck; this is an interesting (if frustrating for you) thing to follow. As Rip would probably say, "details..."
Thanks for sharing all.
Cool

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Scratch builds show real ingenuity.

Give some thought to the grounding scheme while you are at this early stage. Merlin Blencowe's chapter on grounding has some good tips, especially the hum-loop blocker. See figure 15.16 in the article on this link. http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/Grounding.pdf

He who dies with the most tubes... wins

Surf Daddies

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next