Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Minimizing distortion

Page 1 of 1

I don't really like any distortion coming through for surf but even with my 100W Carvin amp I get quite a bit. It seems this is the combined effect of the 6G15 RI reverb tank and my pickups themselves. In other words, it's all happening before the amp. By turning my guitar's volume knob to around halfway I can basically eradicate the breakup. Is this prescribed methodology?

Or would it make sense to just get some lower output pickups? Considering how easy it is to bump a Strat's volume knob back up to full, I think I'd prefer to not have to rely upon it's adjustment to 5.

To simplify my question, what's the best way to maintain a clean sound at high volume?

Have you tried a lower-gain V1, the first preamp tube in your Carvin amp?

If you haven't already, swap the power tube in your reverb to a 6k6. You also may want to try a 5751 tube in place of the 12ax7. You can also try and lower your pickups and see if that helps.

You could also get an Electro-Harmonix Signal Pad (basically a passive volume pot in a stompbox). If you can solder, you can build something similar very easily for pretty cheap.

A volume pedal would also work.

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

OP - Sounds like you are spot on the root cause, you prob have hot pickups slamming the front of the reverb, causing the reverb tubes to distort, just like an amp would. Try to play into another amp, and if it's the same, then you got your prob. The solution in that case would be to lower your input volume somehow, like LeeVanCleef mentioned. Changing your pickups would work, but is prob the most tedious path.

If this is only happening with your Carvin amp, then maybe the reverb is overloading the input stage of the Carvin. In that case, the 6k6 could help, or that would be where you'd put the volume pedal etc.. and/or investigate if your Carvin input is set to high gain or such. i.e. turn down the input gain of the Carvin to very low, and turn up the master or whatnot.

If it's not one of those things.. then you prob got a different prob, and you just have to start problem solving it. Hope that helps.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017 11:48:00

@redfeather what type of guitar and pickups?

If you take the Reverb Unit out of the picture, do you still get distortion with the same amp settings?

I've seen bad tubes and failing reverb unit transformers cause strange distortion. This happened to me at least once with an RI reverb unit.

Generally a strat type guitar with stock pickups. No, the amp doesn't leap into distortion on its own--it's definitely brought on by the reverb unit. And here's an interesting detail: I just had the power transformer and tube replaced.

It seems like it's just a matter of the signal coming into the reverb unit being a little too hot. Thank you everyone for the input. I haven't tried any of these suggestions but I just may. It might be time to go for the 6K6 swap.

And lowering the pickups! What a simple and brilliant solution! I actually did that recently to equalize the output of a bridge humbucker as compared to the middle and neck single coils and it worked perfectly. It's almost like those screws that hold them in were meant to be used...

Surf Skater gets a cookie! I lowered my pickups and resolved the issue.

Mmmm...cookies!

Page 1 of 1