Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink My new Surfy Bear project

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

I'm embarking on a SB reveb/tremolo project and I need advice. I've gone crosseyed looking through all the posts about this topic looking for guidance, so instead I'm just going to start throwing out questions on the forum to all you folks out there who have successfully built one of these. Sorry if this is all covered territory...

A couple of questions: I see some of these units with Fender style "on" lamps. Does it need to be 12 volt? What do I need to get?

I've read a lot about ventilation...I'm putting my units into a Harbor Freight 17" tool box, do I need to worry about adding vent holes?

Where is the best place to mount the reverb tank? Does it need to be cushioned?

More to come! Thanks in advance...

I'll take a shot at this. The light you use depends on where you split the power source. If you tie into 12v dc, then use a 12v light. If you use the 120v circuit, use a compatible light. I have no vents in any of my enclosures but they aren't small, either. I think your tool box will be fine. The tanks I have bought from Amplified Parts can be either horizontal or vertical mount. Purchase the mount style that you prefer. From what I have seen, people have used both with good results. The tanks had rubber mounts on them so unless you decide to hang the tank with springs, I think you are ok. Don't forget to remove the foam rubber part from the tank. Smile

What is the 120v circuit? I'm getting a 12vdc power adapter so I guess I'd be tieing into that. Is there a Fender type lamp that is 12v? I can't seem to find one...

This is the adapter I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231925527946?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If you only have 12v dc inside the unit, then you use the 12v light. There are numerous places to find 12v lights that you can use. Here is an example of some: https://www.waytekwire.com/products/1387/Indicator-Lights/
I'm sorry if I made this confusing. Smile

Cool, thanks. These will work just fine.

New question: I have seen people putting knobs with set screws on their Surfy Bear builds. Do they need this type of knob or are the push-on types the way to go?

All of mine are the set screw type. I did that for the adjustability factor.

BasilK wrote:

I've read a lot about ventilation...I'm putting my units into a Harbor Freight 17" tool box, do I need to worry about adding vent holes?

I put mine in a 20" metal toolbox I picked up on Amazon. The board is attached by a screw to the toolbox; the screw is supposed to transfer the heat to the toolbox, and then the box acts as a heat sink. I have never felt my unit become warm at all.

Where is the best place to mount the reverb tank? Does it need to be cushioned?

My toolbox has a removable tray. I placed my reverb tank in the tray. All the space underneath is storage for cables and other miscellaneous stuff. I didn't cushion or even mount it into the tray. I may do that, as a kick to the unit doesn't give quite the splash I'm looking for.

The Reverbivores - we're local favorites!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017 16:00:48

I think I'm going to attach my reverb to the bottom of the toolbox and leave it there. I'm also adding the tremolo board - will that attach similarly and have the toolbox be the heat sink for that too? Thanks!

The tremolo is different. No heat sink. I believe you will see that it is common to attach the pots to the board and mount the pots to something and use that as the board mount.

I've seen the pots on the trem mounted that way, but wouldn't that be for a pedal application? Inside the tool box, I plan to attach the trem board next to the reverb board. I assume it will fit. The controls will be on the front of the box.

BasilK wrote:

I've seen the pots on the trem mounted that way, but wouldn't that be for a pedal application? Inside the tool box, I plan to attach the trem board next to the reverb board. I assume it will fit. The controls will be on the front of the box.

That can work, as long as you run the 3 wires of the brown/black switch very close to the metal of the toolbox. These wires are like antennas and will pick up any static or noise.

Good to know. Would sheilded wire work better?

BasilK wrote:

Good to know. Would sheilded wire work better?

Hmmm, dunno. Probably, if you can find a wire with 3 leads. Smile

Try wrapping them in alum. foil from the kitchen. It's a cheap exp.

The next time I install a pickguard I'm planning to coat it with contact cement and slap it down on a piece of aluminum foil. Definitely cheaper than one of those aluminum backers and definitely easier than lining a bunch of strips of tape up on it!

Wouldn't foil add to the interference, like when we were kids and we'd put foil on our tv antennae to get a better signal?

^^^^
Not from what I have found so far. It stopped my hum on my combo reverb - tremolo project.

Well I'll give it a try if I have a problem with hum. Any tips or tricks I should know about doing the reverb and trem together? Obviously I don't really know what I'm doing, but luckily I have a couple of friends who do. It looks pretty straight forward, but I want to complicate things by adding the foot switch options and also the dual mixer control (which also goes to a foot switch.) Those are the confusing bits for me. I have a Crate 3 button foot switch that should work perfectly for those functions. Does anyone out there have close up photos of thier wiring? Specifically of a power on/off switch and a pilot light? Has anyone out there done the dual mixer control mod? Please send add some close-ups if you have them. Thanks to everyone who's been offering advice!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next