Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Vy-Dels' "Unknown release date

Page 1 of 1

Hi -

It's in the topic title: Does anybody happen to know when the Vy-Dels' "Unknown" was first released ?

I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Snagglepuss

According to the liner notes in the Surf Age Nuggets box set, it was from 1965 on Garnet Records.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

I wrote those notes for the Surf Age Nuggets box set and I took the release date for The Vydels' great "Unknown" single from Don Riswick's book "Nothin' But Instrumentals - A Compendium Of Rock Instrumentals". - Alan Taylor

Don Riswick must've had some specific information that helped him peg this single with a 1965 release date. There is no forensic evidence on the record, itself, to indicate when it was released. The master numbers for these two sides do tell us that the record was pressed in Chicago at the Columbia Records pressing plant there. Apart from that, I'm not sure how one could determine a 1965 release unless Don had additional information (from someone that was in the band or more knowledge about the Garnet label).

I've referred to Don's book many times over the years. I wonder whatever happened to him and why he never published a 2nd edition.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Page 1 of 1