Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Solo Act

Page 1 of 1

Was wondering if anyone out there has done or is doing a solo or duo act playing surf tunes with backing tracks - no vocals - just instrumentals, even veering from the surf theme occasionally (old Ventures tunes, etc.) and some western swing, maybe. Not a lot of places interested in a band in this area (FL west coast) but thought some of the tiki bar places might be a place to start - at least it would be something different than Buffet and 'Brown Eyed Girl'. Thoughts?

When not playing with a band I use 2 inexpensive Zoom RT-123 Rhythm machines that I programmed bass and drums into, some classics and some contemporary. I can do about 3 hours of solo instros. After a while my friend joined me, adding sax and later some rhythm guitar. We play art shows, Surf Brewery and Vintage car and trailer shows at the Murphy Auto Museum in Oxnard. We sound pretty trad and can keep the volume very low if necessary.

That is what the Johnny Zoom Hi-Fi Show is, and he does a good job and seems to get some gigs? I say do it if you want to. It beats not playing or trying to do it without accompaniment (I am imagining), and like Stormtiger you might wind up picking up some bandmates while you do it.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

About 25 years ago, I had my first taste of live surf/instro music at a large public market here in Vancouver. The crowd was captivated by a busking duo of guitarists, one playing a Jazzmaster and the other one was an acoustic. I think they both played through a single amp. I was only mildly aware of surf/instro as my only reference at that point was a bit of Duane Eddy and the Ventures from my dad's records.
I did not know what it was, but it was fun, light, and perfect for the sunny summer day. Acoustic guitars are nice and percussive so it was a very nice blend of sounds despite there being no bass or drums.

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

Did it for about 2 years but the venues wanted vocals so I had to add "Brow Eyed Girl" etc..:
If you find the right places I'm sure anything's possible.
My experience was that anything above 3 on the volume of my Old Fender Champ was too loud for anyplace that pays well.
Still beats working for a living...possibly

http://blueruins.bandcamp.com

I do a solo act, but do include some vocals in the mix. I bill it as "Doug's Island Vibe Guitar Soiree"; it's a mix of Surf / Instro / Hawaiian Slack Key / Americana Roots and I added some open-tuned slide dobro to the mix last year. I try to play and eclectic mix of stuff that melds well together.

It seems to go over fairly well for the venues I perform at and I offer 1-2 hour gigs. I actually make more money playing solo than with my prior bands, but I'd much rather perform with a full band as it's much more stimulating and interesting for me as a musician.

METEOR IV on reverbnation

Last edited: Apr 01, 2017 07:28:00

Page 1 of 1