Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Fender american special strat OR fender jazzmaster 60's lacquer

Page 1 of 1

Hi,

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a new guitar.
But I can't really decide. I have found the american special strat and the jazzmaster 60s lacquer to be in my budget range. Any thoughts on either? Or perhaps a third option such as a hallmark c60?

I would mainly be playing surf, but do on some occasions play some blues and a bit of rockabilly.

Your input is much welcomed Smile

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017 12:13:44

If you are looking at a Strat for surf, look at the 60s Lacquer Strat. If you are thinking American Special or Jazzmaster I'm going to point you at the Jazzmaster all day. But between the two 60s Lacquers, I have no opinion on that. Strat and Jazzmaster sound very different, so that would be down to preference.

Not a huge Hallmark fan, lots of people like them though. I felt the wood was too dense and that finish was a huge chunk of plastic.

Everyone has a Strat. Get the Jazzmaster. You can always use it for Alt-Country if the surf thing doesn't work out.

But seriously, two very different guitars. When I first started out playing I had my heart set on a Strat, but the one I wanted got sold before I could get it. I ended up with a Jazzmaster and traded it for a Les Paul within two years. I wasn't playing surf then and was more into Eric Clapton and Mike Bloomfield, so an LP was more in tune to the music I was playing.

Can you play them both? What sounds do you hear in your head? Which trem do you like best?

And there's always the Jaguar, too. Big Grin But think it out and one will speak to you in some way.

All opinions expressed by this poster are well thought out and based on actual experience and/or scientific experimentation, except for those which are knee-jerk reactions or good sounding fantasies.

Do you have either model now? Jake is completely right- they are very different. You really shouldn't ask others what guitar YOU will like. I used to play Strats and Jazzmaster (and Jaguar) off and on depending which song was next on gigs, but after using my Jazzmaster for months straight without the Strat along as well I found when I did bring it out again that playing the Strat pre-show just too strange and kept it in the case. The amount of travel in the vibrato was the main thing. I mean, I knew this forever, but it really stood out ten-fold now. There are not only sonic differences in those models- they function very different physically. If you have no preference buy for what sound you like, but I can't choose a Strat over a Jazz/Jag vibrato for most of the material we currently play.
ALSO: DO NOT discount a Squier VM Jazzmaster to get the JM experience for dirt cheap. It's the best way for anyone on the fence about one to get into one without any big investment.

www.jetpackband.com
https://www.facebook.com/JetpackTheBand

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017 13:42:34

Hi Guys.

Thanks. Thats the kind of input I was after. Always nice when more experienced players who have been "around the block" can chime in with their two cents. Smile

I have a 60s lacquer Jazzmaster, and I love it. The 60s lacquer series have nitro lacquer and proper hard cases. I was properly impressed with it, but I haven't see an American Special. To be honest I'm not a big strat fan, so it wouldn't even be on my radar.

My suggestion would be to either go to a shop that stocks both and try each one - or buy both on a credit card and send one back.

They are very different guitars with very different range of sounds.

One more point to consider - the 60s lacquer has a 7.25" neck radius with skinny vintage frets, the strat has a 9.5" radius with jumbo frets. You'll know which you prefer

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

+1 da-ron. It depends on what you find comfortable; close your eyes & play the neck. I've played the 60's series JM (lovely bang for the buck) and owned a 60's series Strat, ditto. A Squier VM series also has a 9.5" radius but, again, that skinny neck (for me).

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Jazzmaster 60's Lacquer! I really want one but can't afford it anytime soon. Let me live vicariously through you. HAHA. For real though, I'd snag one of those. However, da-ron makes a good point about the radius and fret sizes. It has to ultimately be comfortable for you either way.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017 15:36:53

Thanks everybody.

After much thought I have pulled the trigger on the Jazzmaster. (And I cannot wait for it to arrive!!)

I think the idea of a strat might have been a bit of nostalgia kicking in as my first guitar was a Squire Strat, and that I always wanted the "real deal" of owning a MIA Fender.

After doing some more research and listing to countless hours of reviews, demos and clips of both guitars (and you guys) I have no doubt the Jazzmaster is they way to go here. Smile

The first sniff when you open the case and you won't regret it Wink

If you think you regret it (you won't), keep sniffing! Enough sniffs and you'll forget what you regretted. Big Grin

Neptune Trojans

Enjoy your JM! Make sure to give us a full report on your thoughts after you get to play it.

I think you won't regret it. However, beware that your G.A.S. may be ignited.
Big Grin

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Skippy and the Skipjacks: 2018-
Skippyandtheskipjacks.net
https://www.facebook.com/skippyandtheskipjacks
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-2015
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007
http://www.dblcrown.com/delvamps.html

Good choice! I may end up with one myself once I pay off the Jaguar.

All opinions expressed by this poster are well thought out and based on actual experience and/or scientific experimentation, except for those which are knee-jerk reactions or good sounding fantasies.

Its here!!

The postman delivered my Jazzmaster yesterday. As soon as i opened the case and beheld the beauty of this guitar i instantly became lightheaded. (this may have been attributed to getting high of the lacquer fumes, or the pint of Guinness I had to down to steady my excitement Smile )

Once i got it out and played it, I could not put it down. Its really just everything I have been looking for in guitar. However I see now why people talk at great lengths about replacing the bridge. This is but a small (and expected problem) in the grand scheme of it all.

Thanks everybody for helping me on the right track here!
Cheers!

acidjoker wrote:

Its here!!

Pics or it didn't happen. Smile

Once i got it out and played it, I could not put it down. Its really just everything I have been looking for in guitar. However I see now why people talk at great lengths about replacing the bridge. This is but a small (and expected problem) in the grand scheme of it all.

Lots of folks replace the bridge with this or that but, imo, with a decent setup (lots of advice here on that) the existing bridge should work fine assuming setup + heavy enough strings.
Congratulations! Cool

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Plugged into my sonic blue super champ x2
(Pictures dont do the guitar justice) Smile

Fun times! Looks like a good match. Smile

Wes

I really like the bridges on these, but they can have a tendency for the screws to undo, and they may rattle. Two things you can do - to stop the rattling, buy some small nylon or rubber washers to put between the springs and the back of the bridge. I think M3 ones (3mm) should do it.

To stop the screws from undoing, take the screw out, thread a piece of sewing thread (button thread or upholstery thread is best) into the hole, then put the screw back in. You'll find the screw is much tighter but can still be adjusted. Trim the thread top and bottom and you're good to go.

You can buy a Mustang saddle to use instead of the threaded saddles if you have a problem with the top or bottom E sliding across the saddle. Usually you find your playing style adapts though

Last edited: Apr 04, 2017 15:47:29

Page 1 of 1