Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Fender Jaguar '60's Lacquer On the Way!

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

I broke down and bought one after finding an open box demo on sale on ebay. They say everything is there and it comes with a case and warranty. I play a lot of different guitars, my first good guitar was a mid-'60's Jazzmaster ('cause the Strat I wanted got sold before I could buy it), but this will be my first Jaguar.

Questions?
I'm going to use TI Flats. What gauge? Since it's a short scale, I can go heavier right?

Do I need to change the bridge? I've read so many pros and cons that I'm not sure what to think. If the stock one sucks, I guess I'll try the Warmoth Mustang bridge. Any consensus?

I'll need to buy a strap, too. Who makes a tiki design?

I guess that covers it for the moment. If you have a '60's Lacquer Jaguar (or Jazzmaster) share your findings.

All opinions expressed by this poster are well thought out and based on actual experience and/or scientific experimentation, except for those which are knee-jerk reactions or good sounding fantasies.

Congrats Pablo! That was my first Jag as well.

You will probably need a good setup. I play 12s and if you choose to too, you may need someone to file the nut for you.

Don't change the bridge until you actually need to solve a problem. Smile

I do recommend the Stay-Trem. About $30 and it saves a lot of frustration.

Have fun!

Jonathan the Reverbivore

The Reverbivores

Please check out our latest album The Reverbivores Watch TV!

www.thereverbivores.com
Facebook
YouTube

First off, Pablo, congrats on the new Jag.

About 12 or 13 years ago, I got an MIJ Jag, and I too put the Warmoth Mustang Bridge on it. It was a slight improvement, at best. I'm with Jonathon, on this one: Don't change the bridge until you actually need to solve a problem.

A couple of years ago, I bit the bullet, and put a Mastery Bridge on it. BIG improvement. I also put the Stay-Trem on it as well, which has saved me a lot of aggravation on the whole floppy-arm problem.

It's been a little more more money than I had planned on spending on it (I upgraded the pickups, in the process), but I'm really happy with the results.

Edit: It looks as if D'Addario/Planet Waves makes Tiki design guitar straps.

-Cheers, Clark-

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017 23:16:43

Tagged; interested in your impressions. My local shop is ordering me one in so I can play it against a particular XlntCond used AV65 they have there. If the Classic Lacquer series JM/Strat/Teles are any indication, this particular line is good things continuing to come out of Ensenada in terms of bang for the buck. My plans for whichever one I get are simply a good setup (including shim if needed & nut slots) & 12's.

Looking forward to your thoughts when you get the guitar. This is the Fiesta Red one, right?
Smile

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Yes, Badger, it's the Fiesta Red one. I'd rather have it in Surf Green like the JM, but Fender doesn't offer that option. Thanks for the comments, all. Once I get it set up, I'll see if I need to change the bridge. If my 2007 MIM Strat is any indication, I think I'll love this guitar. I can't justify getting an AVRI, and the CIJ's don't show up that often around here, so it should scratch the itch. I've got my parts-Strat to cover that voice, but a full out flat-wound string Surf Machine will be fun!

I remember seeing a new Jag in 1968 at a music store that was a dark blue, as I recall, about the same color as Mustang's were back then (the guitar, not the car) and I've always thought it was one of the most beautiful guitars I'd ever seen.

Color be damned! It's time to twang! I haven't bought a new guitar in a long time.

All opinions expressed by this poster are well thought out and based on actual experience and/or scientific experimentation, except for those which are knee-jerk reactions or good sounding fantasies.

Pablomago - congrats on your new guitar.

Wes - I'm stoked you're getting one soon.

Even though I have my custom built, 25.5" Jag that sounds wonderful I still have a slow burning lust for a stock Jag.

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

CrazyAces wrote:

Wes - I'm stoked you're getting one soon.

Even though I have my custom built, 25.5" Jag that sounds wonderful I still have a slow burning lust for a stock Jag.

Yes, for me the Jag/JM/Strat are near top of the periodic surf table (with bacon & peanut butter) & nothing does Jag like Jag. I'd never go full-boat new AVRI, but people change guitars like socks and what was a $2300 guitar comes back in lightly used and becomes a $1400 guitar. Hence the desire to compare the 2, bang for buck (although the AV65 I played is lovely, binding & all). You know Dave's; if it's not there, wait 5 minutes it might be.

I'm not looking for another burst guitar but this AV is like thermo-nuclear-burst & sometimes Fender does their Fiesta Red lately in a way that it should be called Boss 302 Competition Orange. I'm hoping it is really Fiesta Red. We'll see Smile

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

I think you will really like the Jag. Congrats!

I picked up the Jazzmaster version after waiting for one that had the right weight and fretboard. It's great other than the saddles rattling lower until my strings start to buzz when I fret. I've got some Loctite but haven't used it yet.

The pickups are fantastic.

Neptune Trojans

It's arrived!

I only played it for an hour so far, but I really like it. The color looks better then I expected. The metal bits don't look quite as nice as I remember from original Jags, but it plays and sounds real good. It came with a nice set up, though it only has .010's on it. I ordered some .012 flats and a Tiki guitar strap along with a couple of stickers for the case.

I haven't bought a new guitar in a long time and I'm really happy with the overall quality of this instrument. Fender's doing something right, for sure. Thanks for the suggestions and tips! And if you're looking for a good surf guitar at a reasonable price, you could do worse then one of these.

Congratulations! Big Grin That's good news; especially glad the color is right. Looking forward to testing (maybe) mine when it gets here. If I end up liking it, it will leave the shop with 12's and nut to match.

Wes

Pablomago wrote:

And if you're looking for a good surf guitar at a reasonable price, you could do worse then one of these.

Thanks again for your report; Dave's called & guess I'll find out tomorrow and see what the casting couch says (and the hangtag comparison) up against a nice used AVRI that I played awhile back.

Wes

I think I saw the same one on ebay as well...nice acquisition!

Got one on layaway now, so only a few more papers to throw & lawns to mow so to speak...

No vibrato lock (don't care); tiny touch of overspray on handful of frets from the amber neck coat but to be fair I've seen AV's & Johnny Marr's this way. Very nice neck, fret edges fine, pickups outstanding (as expected), fine vibrato action, plenty of board on both sides of the E's. Played ok with the 10's that came on it. Other than setup upon retrieving it (with 12's & my guy will file the nut accordingly), it seems good to go. (Played through an old BF Deluxe sitting over in the corner - damn are those nice.)

Not orange-ish, nice no-kidding Fiesta Red which, if it goes any direction at all, will go to pink-ish if I live long enough which is cool. Appears they actually let everything dry in between coats (unlike my AVRI65 Strat which chips just when looking at it cross-eyed). This Fender line includes a hard-shell case (vs. gig bag), so I will soon have someplace for many of the stickers I've got around here which will Eliminator some of the clutter.

Is the AVRI '65 (at used price) a nicer guitar? Absolutely. Is it $500 nicer to me, nope - like the JM's & Strats these seem to be pretty good value.

Wes

Good review, Badger. Yeah, a little overspray on the frets, and they could probably use a little polishing (or just played a lot). I'm going to have mine set up with .012 flatewounds as soon as they show up. Probably this week. I got a red tiki strap to go with it and I'm thinking of a Staytrem arm as the stock arm rattles a bit and the button is black rather then white.

I'm already working up tunes on it. Fun guitar.

Pablomago wrote:

I'm already working up tunes on it. Fun guitar.

It is indeed; been messing with mine for the last 24 hours and still enjoying 12's; that .024 3rd string has some serious plunk to it that took a few hours to get used to, but it's cool as all get out. Finished my usual tweak to the saddle screws, and put Eddie K's treble bleed on the volume control. One thing I discovered with that circuit besides the usual benefits, in keeping the highs present while rolling the volume back, is that - voltage wise - I can keep the tone I want with my Fuzzrite, while still just keeping it on the verge with the volume knob or going flat-out with the flick of a pinky. Don't use it very often but sometimes only a fuzz can do fuzz.

Have fun & enjoy making music.
Smile

Wes

I should add some pictures!

Waiting for TI .012 Flats, Steytrem arm and a red tiki strap, then off to the techs for final set up and tweaking. Maybe a fret polishing while it's there.

I put a Stytrem on my MIJ Jag and JM. (My USA made guitars didn't need them.) It made a yuge difference, not having it flopping around like the stock vibrato bars. It's money well spent.

-Cheers, Clark-

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

Pablomago wrote:

Waiting for TI .012 Flats, Steytrem arm and a red tiki strap, then off to the techs for final set up and tweaking. Maybe a fret polishing while it's there.

Having not gotten into the guts yet till I play these strings out, which size collet did you find in there? (I'm guessing 10mm)

Wes

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017 07:25:25

I didn't look, but John at Staytrem told me 10mm. I was thinking about getting a USA trem, but I figure I'll wear out the one it has before I spend more money then I have to.

Thanks, I figured 10mm. I'm happy with mine; the collet was fine & I don't make too many demands on a vibrato anyway. Tiny film of lithium grease & it stays where I want or flicks out of the way. I just bent the end about an inch behind the tip over a big lag bolt to get an additional radius in the arm. Spring is plenty stiff for me (I dislike mush).

Wes

Goto Page: 1 2 Next