Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Brownface Showman on Ebay

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Gilette wrote:

Makes you furious doesn't it? Life's unfair...

Those amps and guitars actually belonged to three different bands. Eddie did the restoration/recovering work on most of them, though.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

WoodyJ wrote:

Gilette wrote:

Makes you furious doesn't it? Life's unfair...

Those amps and guitars actually belonged to three different bands. Eddie did the restoration/recovering work on most of them, though.

Wow, lucky Eddy, it sure looks stunning. In a music shop I always get the urge to try out every piece of gear on display. Same thing here. You'd want to connect all of them together, turn them up and strike a few bars of Misirlou! Wink
Sorry for going off topic guys, back to the brownface Showman.

Yes please, back to my topic, and to my dramaticaly urgent help request! Smile

All of you holy GURUs out there in the forum, please share opinions and advices about the originality of this amp, given the money it will cost (I wouldn't make an offer greater than 1700 euro anyway).
Keep also in mind that here in Europe those amps don't come out very often on sale as in the US, and when it happens they definetely aren't cheap (prices usually start from 2500euro for just a 6G14-A Showman's head here in Europe).

PS: I hope you can easily manage to download the amp's pictures using the link I posted before on this thread ;)

Guido (Orno Breaker)

Your photo zip file downloads ok; looked at the pics, including the repetitive gutshots - more pics better than less. To my eye it looks like a Fender 6G14-A in its expected condition. The part about them being scarce where you are is something for you to consider. Given the price history you mention, IF that's what I wanted & could make that offer on it, I would do it. The desirability, however, is something for you to determine. But, to my eye, the amp looks legit.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Excellent advice, Wes!

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Skippy and the Skipjacks: 2018-
Skippyandtheskipjacks.net
https://www.facebook.com/skippyandtheskipjacks
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-2015
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007
http://www.dblcrown.com/delvamps.html

Thank you very much Wes!
About the "RA 1063" ink stamped in so many points on the chassis, both inside and outside, what should it mean? Is it a rework at the factory done in 1963 or what? Have you ever seen anything like that in a Fender brownface amp?
And what about the power tranny (18th week of 1963): another later rework?
Maybe I shouldn't care so much about these details... should I? Whatever

Guido (Orno Breaker)

Look here, another brown Showman just appeared on Ebay from the US, and apparently presents the same ink date stamp on the chassis.... late 1963, even thought everything else in the amp, included the tube chart, dates to 1961!!! Confused

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Vintage-1963-Fender-Showman-Blonde-Tube-Amp-Head-12-JBL-Tone-Ring-Speaker-Cab-/222449627309?hash=item33cb07f0ad:g:Em0AAOSw4CFY1ALJ#viTabs_0

Guido (Orno Breaker)

SurfinGuy wrote:

Look here, ...included the tube chart, dates to 1961!!! Confused

Obviously you cannot go only by a tube chart. Note the handwritten 'A' reflecting the -A circuit, and the correct number of 5881's (vs 6L6 in orig 6G14 circuit) and correct (6) pre-amp tubes (versus 4) which is a dead giveaway to a -A (harmonic tremelo uses several tube "halves" to get that).

The amp you're looking at is a -A regardless of not having 'A' on the tube chart. It's important to look at what's in front of one and not necessarily a tube chart. A transformer might get replaced under warranty, because some surf guy blew it up - or a circuit revision could've been done and implemented on the fly by Leo running out to the line and saying "start making this." This was not NASA building rockets back then; it was more like Kelly Johnson's "Skunkworks" building the U-2. You can even see Leo in the circuit design between the first one and the -A, as well as other amps later where he scoops the mids right off the bat tying a lower value resistor to the bass control.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Well, I think that the date ink stamped on the tube chart (not the circuit designation) normally represents the most accurate reference of the exact date of production of the amp.
About the new Showman appeared today on Ebay, it is clearly a 1961 unit (chassis' serial number, ink stamp on tube chart, trannys' date codes, some yellow caps). So the "RB 4563 - 4 Nov 1963" stamp indicates a later rework or reparation done at the factory, maybe under warranty.
I am really curious to see at which price that '61 Showman will sell!

Guido (Orno Breaker)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017 09:58:18

I have to disagree regarding the ink stamp. That could be a date that the amp was serviced, or.....?? It would be great if there was a retired Fender employee that worked on these things in the early '60's who could shed some light on this.

From a collector's standpoint, the chassis serial number, the transformer dates and the tube chart stamp are generally accepted as what determines what year the amp was assembled, not random ink stamps.

Guido, have you checked with any of the vintage Fender amp forums or the Brownface Fender Amp group on Facebook? That's where you will find the hardcore collectors who obsess over numbers. Here on SG101 we are mostly just players who desire an amp that sounds great.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The X-Rays (1997-2004)
(1978-1990)

Good advice, WoodyJack! I'm really interested in this entire thread as I've not seen anything like this before. Guido, you bring up VERY good points, but it is tough to speculate when we're all just really a bunch of amateurs when it comes to the nitty gritty. What you say does make sense, but it'd be best to find a credible source on this before you spend your money, if you are indeed in doubt. Otherwise, I'd go with Wes' advice on IF this is what you want...

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Skippy and the Skipjacks: 2018-
Skippyandtheskipjacks.net
https://www.facebook.com/skippyandtheskipjacks
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-2015
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007
http://www.dblcrown.com/delvamps.html

Sorry Jack, you disagree regarding what? I think we are saying the same things, or did I miss something? Smile I know my english is very bad, and I apologise for that.
The point is that, at least in my little experience, in a brownface Fender amp normally ther is no such date stamps on the chassis, stamps like the one on the amp I'm watching from Austria ("RA1063") and also in the amp appeared today in Ebay from the US ("RB4563 4 Nov 1963"). Referring to these particular stamps, given the fact that their dates are one or two years later than everything else in the amp (tube chart stamp, trannys codes, serial number...), then it's quite reasonable to think that it may be a stamp applied after a later rework or reparation done on the amp, maybe at the factory or maybe not. Is this conclusion wrong for you Jack?
But you are right, I am only fooling around with all these details only because I am not totally convinced about spending all that money in an amp that I cannot see and touch and (most important thing!) play before buying it Sad

Guido (Orno Breaker)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017 11:06:16

SurfinGuy wrote:

Referring to these particular stamps, given the fact that their dates are one or two years later than everything else in the amp (tube chart stamp, trannys codes, serial number...), then it's quite reasonable to think that it may be a stamp applied after a later rework or reparation done on the amp, maybe at the factory or maybe not. Is this conclusion wrong for you Jack?

Hey, Guido,

Yep, I totally agree with you there. I really have no idea regarding the purpose of the ink stamps unless they have something to do with servicing. My '62 Showman and my '62 brownface Pro also have 1963 ink stamps but pretty much everything else in those amps date them to 1962. Is it a mystery? Yes. Does it bother me? No, because I have no intention of ever selling either amp. From an investment standpoint? Perhaps, but I still believe that the chassis serial number, transformer numbers and the tube chart date code are really what matters.

Like you, I would also like to know the purpose of the inks stamps "just because". I rarely access the vintage amp forums but in the past I have never seen the ink stamp issue addressed. Maybe someone on here can chime in if they have that information. With that said, information disseminated on online forums - including this one - may not always be 100% accurate.

And by the way, Guido, your English is great, better than some of my local American friends!

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The X-Rays (1997-2004)
(1978-1990)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2