SG101 on the Web

Follow SurfGuitar101 on Twitter

Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

Number9: Two surfers are getting ready to paddle out. Surfer one: "Hey, guess what! I got a new longboard for my wife!" Surfer two: "Great trade!"
69 days ago

Clarry: I thought my wife was joking when she said she wanted to go to a Monkees concert in Switzerland, then I saw her face, now I'm in Geneva....
65 days ago

Clarry: I went to Fight Club last night. I was so excited I wasn't paying attention and missed the rules. Anyway, Fight Club is amazing and I'm going to tell all my friends!!
57 days ago

Clarry: Our neighbours knocked on our door at 2.30 this morning. Can you believe that? The inconsiderate bastards. 2.30am. Luckily I was still up playing my drums.
57 days ago

DonKiyote: Had some bubble wrap delivered today. They asked me where I wanted it and I said just pop it in the corner.
53 days ago

DonKiyote: The best time to meet a friend is at 12.59. That 1 to 1 time is invaluable.
51 days ago

da-ron: What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know and I don't care
50 days ago

da-ron: Someone threw a bottle of Omega 3 pills at me!! Luckily my injuries were only super fish oil
33 days ago

remora1: A man tried to sell me a coffin today. I told him that's the last thing I need.
30 days ago

TheAmpFibian: I've got more problems than a math quiz
19 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

SG101 2006-2017

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Help. Opinions needed on Roadie 2 automatic tuner

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Does it have any way to detect the closest pitch of the string, and just tune it to that? Unless I'm mistaken, it looks like you have to turn a rotary switch when moving to the next string. Unless you're tuning multiple guitars at once, it seems like it'd be faster to tune by hand with a pedal or headstock tuner.

If possible I think having the ability to detect a string is slightly flat of A(for instance), then automatically tuning it to A, would be a very popular feature. As long as it's limited to not change more than a quarter tone in this mode, it wouldn't be a string snapping/slacking nightmare.

Patrick_Strain wrote:

AlainAtmeh wrote:

Patrick_Strain wrote:

Personally, I don't see a use for this. I suppose it would be good marketing this to people who are doing guitar setups professionally, or to people who just don't have a sense of pitch. Really, it would depend on the price point. If it was marginally more expensive than than a decent clip on tuner, that would make it somewhat more appealing.

If you consider that it:
- Tunes (almost) any kind of string instrument like mandolins, ukuleles, banjos, guitars...
- Switches to alternate tunings in seconds
- Tunes in very noisy environments

...Then I'd say it's pretty useful Smile

That's fine if you need help tuning. Any pedal tuner will tune in very noisy environments. In terms of alternate tunings, I don't use many, but I can easily retune my guitar quickly. Also, keep in mind, you came here looking for opinions on this product. There's no need to get defensive when someone presents you with their opinion.

Didn't mean to get defensive. I was just pointing out the key benefits of it. Your opinion is greatly appreciated! Cheers!

As an aside (and as someone pretty ignorant of alternative tunings apart from dropped D to play Mr Tambourine Man) how do you deal with intonation once you've retuned a guitar? Surely it needs to be set up again?

www.thewaterboarders.net
http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

duncanjames wrote:

Does it have any way to detect the closest pitch of the string, and just tune it to that? Unless I'm mistaken, it looks like you have to turn a rotary switch when moving to the next string. Unless you're tuning multiple guitars at once, it seems like it'd be faster to tune by hand with a pedal or headstock tuner.

If possible I think having the ability to detect a string is slightly flat of A(for instance), then automatically tuning it to A, would be a very popular feature. As long as it's limited to not change more than a quarter tone in this mode, it wouldn't be a string snapping/slacking nightmare.

We tried adding this feature to it but saw that it would be really difficult while switching in between alternate tunings. The detection process is sequential. So if you're tuning in standard, when Roadie finishes tuning the E, it will automatically switch to the A string. Thanks a lot for your question and feedback!

da-ron wrote:

As an aside (and as someone pretty ignorant of alternative tunings apart from dropped D to play Mr Tambourine Man) how do you deal with intonation once you've retuned a guitar? Surely it needs to be set up again?

I love that song Smile Roadie allows you to easily customize your own tuning. So, if you're familiar with the James Taylor tuning method (E string -3 cents / B string -6 cents / G string -4 cents / D string -8 cents / A string -10 cents / E string -12 cents´╗┐) You can set your Roadie to tune exactly to the cents that you want. then you can switch to Drop D in seconds and rock Mr. Tambourine Man Smile

Where's it made?

Happy Sunsets!

tahitijack wrote:

Where's it made?

It's manufactured in China, but all the R&D is made in the US.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2