Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Picking problems

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Over the course of the last few months I've noticed that tremolo picking (or whatever you want to call it) has slowly started becoming more difficult for me, both in speed and consistency. I can't play as fast as I could, and and keep missing notes too. I've not changed guitars, string gauge or picks, so I'm a little lost as to what might be causing it. I wear my watch on my picking hand, but I always have so I doubt it's that. Any of you guys have any advice? Do I just need to take a break?

Cheers!

Earth. Atomizer. Let's go.

The Atom Jacks

Last edited: Mar 02, 2017 14:34:45

Could it be age? Did you not practice/play as much recently? Are you working harder at work? Are you stressed? Have you been sick/do you maybe have a virus? Have you tried taking your watch off? Are you anemic? Did you change the time of day you play?

Are you using heavier strings or a different guitar? Is the string action higher than it was (perhaps because of neck shape change with humidity and temperature)?

Did you change medications? Are you drinking more? There are lots of other medical possibilities; the most suggestive is an increase in muscle tension from a neurological condition such as Parkinsonian effects of a medication or illness.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

It would be illustrative to quantify a marked decrease in performance. Do you play along to a metronome? If so, what was your performance before you noticed a decline and what is it now? Judging things by feel can be a nebulous gauge of performance.

Different muscle fibers fatigue quicker than others. The muscles of your arm, forearm, and hand are all pretty quick to fatigue.

OP - how old are you?

It may be that you just have other things on your mind when you're playing, or that you haven't warmed up as much as you used to. Both of these things can happen together, in fact. You feel like you really ought to shove some guitar time into your busy day, then pick it up and try to get into it too quickly. It's happened to me: "No time for the scales first," or "I just wanna play!" And then I find myself making errors and not being able to concentrate. My best answer, if this is the case, is to not force it. Play when you really feel like it and when you're not rushed, then warm into it.

Wow, thanks for the quick responses!

JakeDobner wrote:

Could it be age? Did you not practice/play as much recently? Are you working harder at work? Are you stressed? Have you been sick/do you maybe have a virus? Have you tried taking your watch off? Are you anemic? Did you change the time of day you play?

I suppose looking back on it I've had less time to play daily than I used to, not by a huge amount, but less time nonetheless. Watch on or off are pretty similar for me.

_Squid wrote:

Are you using heavier strings or a different guitar? Is the string action higher than it was (perhaps because of neck shape change with humidity and temperature)?

Did you change medications? Are you drinking more? There are lots of other medical possibilities; the most suggestive is an increase in muscle tension from a neurological condition such as Parkinsonian effects of a medication or illness.

Strings and guitar are the same, but it has been noticeably colder here recently, maybe the guitar could use a set up.

**pavlovsdog wrote:

It would be illustrative to quantify a marked decrease in performance. Do you play along to a metronome? If so, what was your performance before you noticed a decline and what is it now? Judging things by feel can be a nebulous gauge of performance.

Different muscle fibers fatigue quicker than others. The muscles of your arm, forearm, and hand are all pretty quick to fatigue.

OP - how old are you?**

I'm only 20, so I'd like to think it's not age related, heh. I did use to play along with a metronome, but I guess over time I dropped off using it. Maybe I should start using one again.

MissingLink wrote:

It may be that you just have other things on your mind when you're playing, or that you haven't warmed up as much as you used to. Both of these things can happen together, in fact. You feel like you really ought to shove some guitar time into your busy day, then pick it up and try to get into it too quickly. It's happened to me: "No time for the scales first," or "I just wanna play!" And then I find myself making errors and not being able to concentrate. My best answer, if this is the case, is to not force it. Play when you really feel like it and when you're not rushed, then warm into it.

This sounds familiar. I just switched jobs and found myself with less time to play at home, so I probably have been skipping out on warming up to try and cram as much 'proper' playing is as I could.

Thanks guys, some really good point here!

The Atom Jacks

As you are 20 the only medically oriented comment that occurs to me is the possibility of decreased concentration, such as from sleep deprivation.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Don't discount where your guitar sits relative to your body. Have you changed your straps or adjusted it lately?

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

I have been playing just over 30 years. Things change in life all the time that causes technique to suffer or improve. Tremolo (speed) picking is a very fine motor skill and it involves a lot of muscle movement. Very importantly, it is the economy of movement which is refined through repetition and frequency of those sessions. If you are spending less time working those muscles or anything else is changing in your health, muscles, joints (like working-out more for exercise, etc.) then things will change. Even if none of these things change, you will find that adjustments to technique, your patience, and your determination will be needed as you go through your years of playing an instrument. Aging, yes, but it is simply over the arc of time and not specifically because one is getting old, IMHO.

Adjust your grip, warm-up adequately (I never play guitar within one hour of getting up and only after I have done a few things around the house to loosen up those muscles). Repetition of movement like alternating picking, scales or just short runs of notes within a scale, short trem picking "sprints", etc, are all things that I will do mindlessly while watching a Youtube video, a newscast on TV, etc. Relax, and find a good posture/position that is comfortable and nonrestrictive.

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

JakeDobner wrote:

Dr. Jake, that was a funny answer; definitely one of your best. I am laughing my @$$ off after a long day in court. Man, I sure am glad I did not write the question. That would have put me over the edge being the old man I am. lol. I am still laughing.

Last edited: Mar 03, 2017 12:17:25

Squid wrote:

As you are 20 the only medically oriented comment that occurs to me is the possibility of decreased concentration, such as from sleep deprivation.

Sleep deprivation and me are rather well acquainted, heh.

DannySnyder wrote:

Don't discount where your guitar sits relative to your body. Have you changed your straps or adjusted it lately?

I did move my guitar up higher a while ago, actually. I'll try shifting it down again.

shake_n_stomp wrote:

I have been playing just over 30 years. Things change in life all the time that causes technique to suffer or improve. Tremolo (speed) picking is a very fine motor skill and it involves a lot of muscle movement. Very importantly, it is the economy of movement which is refined through repetition and frequency of those sessions. If you are spending less time working those muscles or anything else is changing in your health, muscles, joints (like working-out more for exercise, etc.) then things will change. Even if none of these things change, you will find that adjustments to technique, your patience, and your determination will be needed as you go through your years of playing an instrument. Aging, yes, but it is simply over the arc of time and not specifically because one is getting old, IMHO.

Adjust your grip, warm-up adequately (I never play guitar within one hour of getting up and only after I have done a few things around the house to loosen up those muscles). Repetition of movement like alternating picking, scales or just short runs of notes within a scale, short trem picking "sprints", etc, are all things that I will do mindlessly while watching a Youtube video, a newscast on TV, etc. Relax, and find a good posture/position that is comfortable and nonrestrictive.

Very in depth, a lot to keep in mind here, thanks!

The Atom Jacks

When I find things are going astray and feeling odd, I check my strap first. And it's usually stretched a bit and needs adjusting.

Other times I may have been playing a Strat for a few weeks, then I switch to the Jag and my left hand starts missing stuff. And vice versa.

If you are who I think you are, 20 from Chichester, too many late nights in Brighton visiting Endless Summer gigs.

Actually there can't be too many.

Clarry wrote:

When I find things are going astray and feeling odd, I check my strap first. And it's usually stretched a bit and needs adjusting.

Other times I may have been playing a Strat for a few weeks, then I switch to the Jag and my left hand starts missing stuff. And vice versa.

Yeah, I'm going to try moving the strap around and see if that does anything for me.

If you are who I think you are, 20 from Chichester, too many late nights in Brighton visiting Endless Summer gigs.

Actually there can't be too many.

Thee one and only

The Atom Jacks

I know this sounds crazy, but try one of those small Eric Johnson picks. They really make fast double picking easier.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

SixStringSurfer wrote:

I know this sounds crazy, but try one of those small Eric Johnson picks. They really make fast double picking easier.

Interesting, I'm using Jazz IIIs at the moment, are the Eric Jonson ones much different?

The Atom Jacks

Last edited: Mar 03, 2017 17:33:18

The Jazz III's are so much better than the Max .88 Grips I was using for fast double picking, but the Eric Johnson's are even better than the Jazz III's. I now use a 1.0 Max grip for traditional surf songs, but for Dick Dale I only use the Eric Johnson's.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Here is a thought for you: https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/28031/?page=1#p380012

I don't like smaller/sharper pointed picks.

SixStringSurfer wrote:

The Jazz III's are so much better than the Max .88 Grips I was using for fast double picking, but the Eric Johnson's are even better than the Jazz III's. I now use a 1.0 Max grip for traditional surf songs, but for Dick Dale I only use the Eric Johnson's.

That's cool to know, I'll try and get a hold of some.

JakeDobner wrote:

Here is a thought for you: https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/28031/?page=1#p380012

I don't like smaller/sharper pointed picks.

Neat, I'll try this later, I have a couple of triangular picks but only really used them for bass.

The Atom Jacks

Smart_Patrol wrote:

Sleep deprivation and me are rather well acquainted, heh.

Try some cocoa or chocolate drink before bedtime. Since trying this I can leap out of bed before the alarm and whistle the original Tomorrows World theme tune start to finish no problem at all. Wink

Make sure you are well hydrated. Any dehydration will cause your muscles to seize up and cramp. Especially relevant when you're playing live in a stuffy venue with hot stage lights blasting down at you. Always keep a drink nearby (and no, beer doesn't count!)

Goto Page: 1 2 Next