Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Pick ups- modding a cheap guitar?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Dude, you are pretty wound up over a cheap string tree. I agree they should have responded. How many times did you email them? I usually give a place 2 chances.

I've ordered from GF probably about 10 times. Only one problem, one tuner ferrule out of 6 was actually a thru-string body ferrule. I think I had to email them twice, but they took care of it no problem. They were totally apologetic, and sent me six new ones to make sure they all matched.

It's not my favorite place to order from, because they kind of stick you on shipping, but, sometimes they have what I need at the price I need it. And, isn't that why you bought from them in the first place?

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

What was the email address? In all my experience of the internet, I have never, ever, EVER, got a response from an 'info@' email address.
Get a name, somehow. It'll increase the chances of a response by at least 50%.
I've used Guitar Fetish in the past and was impressed by the quality v price.

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

da-ron, I will let Jennifer know what you said as it was she who was modding her guitar as I mentioned. To what was said earlier, no- it is not about the string tree. It is about there seeming to be a price-line where one does not back up their product or even address the mistake. If you sell something for even $5 and it costs $5 in return shipping- you eat it as it is your mistake and your business. But I'm not wound up- I just bought from other sources since that happened. And I do recall Jenn said she read online someone saying, yeah- you gotta hound them but just wait it out. Forget that. I'm not begging someone to answer an email who also has no customer line -especially when they already have the money. That's their only method of communication (by choice)so they should be on it! As I said- thanks and I will forward this to her.

www.jetpackband.com
https://www.facebook.com/JetpackTheBand

Years ago my wife bought me a cheap Chinese Strat. Over time I added Fender 57/62 pickups, CTS pots, CRL jack, Switchcraft 5-way switch, Orange drop cap (can't remember the value), Graph Tech saddles, nut and string trees. I also did the 7 sound wiring and jumped the bridge pup to the mid tone control. It is presently strung with Pyramid Gold 11's. I know I dumped a lot of cash into a cheap guitar, but I only play for my own entertainment. to me, it sounds pretty good. Also, I enjoy tinkering with guitars as much as playing them.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017 12:52:59

Sounds like a bunch of good mods. I know nothing of electronics when it comes to guitars, so I figure if I screw it up, I'm out $30 and have a good neck to use on something else. ;)

I hate pebbles.

Hey, Sidewalk Surfer-

I found a set of Strat pickups for you. If you can send me a PM with your name and address, I can get those out to you.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of a Strat they came from. In the last several years, I've swapped the pickups out of 3 different Strats- a Highway 1 model, a MIM 70s RI, and an early production run Roadworn Strat. I'm just not sure. At any rate, they're yours.

-Cheers, Clark-

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

I cannot thank you enough, Clark!

Pm sent.

jk

I hate pebbles.

Hello, I'm a new member and this is my 1st post. I hope I'm correctly observing board etiquette and contributing to an existing thread rather than starting a new one.

I'd just like to share some pictures of a cheap guitar I've been mod-ing.

I'm more of an acoustic player than anything else, but do love my electric guitars, have owned & played an old Telecaster since 1984 though my most used electric is a Danelectro U2, Korean re-issue bought in 1998.

I love my Danelectro but have always hankered after that sound with the addition of a tremolo bar. I have seriously looked into adding a Bigsby to it (too much work). I was lucky enough to borrow a Dano' Hodad (the one with the Bigsby already built on) but frankly I didn't get on with it. I really like the look of lipstick single coils, and although the Hodad's twin coils can be split, the look and sound of the thing just didn't gel with me.

I was seriously considering getting one of these, thought it might be fun to eventually put a set of lipsticks on it (and Mustang up the pickguard a bit with bits & bobs from Ebay). The price was within my rather limited budget and the guitars are well reviewed, my only reservation being that I really wanted a guitar in seafoam green/aquamarine.
Then I saw this. Not only the right shade of green (well, near enough) but also with a pearloid pick-guard AND an offset body - very cool! (IMHO).
Cheap too.
So, I ordered one.

Out of the box? well, frankly, it's a bit of a dog. The "pawlonia" body is absurdly lightweight, the supplied 9's gauge strings were ghastly (which is fair enough, I guess) and the whole thing felt flimsy and cheap. That's what you get for ninety quid I guess. BUT, the colour, the pickguard the body shape still look appealing to me, and the neck isn't too shabby, if a little slim for my tastes.
I really like the trashy surf-punk aesthetic of it and figure it'll look intensely cool with a set of 'lipsticks' on it.

I'm no luthier by any means, my intention is to get the guitar looking, sounding and playing as well as any layman could manage, without getting into major surgery. I'm basically just going to upgrade the hardware over time, nothing that any Joe Shmoe couldn't manage with pretty much just a screwdriver and an adjustable spanner.

I ordered a set of these, bear in mind I'm really on a budget, and I don't think the guitar would merit a pricey set of Seymour Duncans or Kent Armstrongs.
Ideally I'd have had proper Danelectro shape & size pickups but that would have meant a lot of work, routing the pickguard. These Artecs are designed to drop into Strat size pickup holes.

In the "swimming pool" you can really see how crummy the bit of wood is that they've used to make this out of.

Having wired the pickups in conventional manner, I then stumbled across a "budget hack" for Strat pick ups, namely physically swapping around the positions of the middle and neck pickups. This means I can get bridge and neck at the same time (it's a brilliant but simple mod, means you lose the middle & bridge combination, but that's my least used & least favourite setting on a Strat anyway).
The pickups are low-output, which is inherent in their design, they sound great though, nice and chime-y.

It now has a "proper" set of 11's on it.

I've replaced the control knobs with pearl-capped Tele style ones, the pearl doesn't quite match the pickguard, but it's still a nice visual touch.

I've also bought a chrome tip for the whammy bar and the pickup selector (haven't got that on at time of photographs).

Then there's the headstock. I am by no means ashamed of playing a Gear4Music guitar, but their logo is horrible.

So I treated myself to custom logo from Rothko & Frost, it's easily the classiest thing about the whole project. I decided to call it a Twangylectro, by way of tribute and as my real name is Gus it struck me as amusing to have "Gustang" as the model type.

Lastly, the heel/neck joint. It also featured the horrible Gear4Music logo, so it had to go.

I found this one cheap on Ebay too. It's generic as anything, but an improvement over the original.

I intend to get a set of tuners with pearloid knobs, to complement the rest of the guitar's look, but that'll have to wait till my reserves of pocket money have replenished.

I was originally contemplating upgrading the tremolo bridge, the one it's installed with is very flimsy and cheap looking, but you know what - it works really well. My only beef with it is I can't "deck" it as much as I'd like. Ideally I'd have all five springs on it (I use the whammy bar sparingly and only ever for 'dipped' notes, can't get my head around floating trems and pulling notes up) however the trem block is only drilled for three holes! (and, frankly, it looks a little squint to me) but, as I say, it works fine, I may well leave it.

So there you are, my cheapo, cheapo, offset, lipstick-equipped, seafoam green, Dano-Strat hybrid, dream guitar.

It'll probably never leave the house, I shall play lots of surf/spy/spaghetti type music on it for my own pleasure.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Sep 01, 2017 04:02:41

Gus, that is one impressive rebuild. Well done!

Looks much better than the original. And fun to do too.

That's really cool Gus, nice work.

That's a great guitar! Surf on!

The Reverbivores - we're local favorites!

Gustang_McGus:
It looks like a Jay Turser brand JT-JG "Jaguar" guitar.

Here is an easy quick mod that allowed me to enormously improve the sustain, note stability and tone of guitars with a vibrato block resembling yours. I attached lead fishing weight to the vibrato block with cheap epoxy glue. I added as much as space permitted. Sometimes I managed to insert 3 oz. I used thick lead wire that comes on spools. Cheap epoxy glue is strong enough but also it is weak enough to let me remove the weights and redo the job. If you can't get lead weights, get something similarly dense (e.g., tungsten). If you can't get that, use brass or copper.

Among others, this method improved an old Japanese super-light solidbody from the 1960s (Teisco or similar). The sustain changed from mandolin-like awful to the equal of other solid body guitars I have (e.g., DiPinto, Washburn, Brian Moore). The apparent incongruity between the guitar lightness and the enormous sustain is amazing (and educational).

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Sep 01, 2017 16:42:06

Paulownia is a fantastic wood, I have a paulownia jag. The new Brad Paisley Tele is a paulownia body.

Everything you ever wanted to know about Paulownia wood. http://www.ipaulownia.co.uk/paulownia-info/why-paulownia/

highlights for those who don't want to read the link:
1. Fastest growing tree in the world
2. Often called the wood of the future, and the aluminum wood.
3. Knot free, yielding lots of stuff per foot.
4. Lightweight
5. fun to say. Paul-O-nia (I made that part up)

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

1st time I've ever encountered the stuff, I was just very surprised at how lightweight it is (mind you, there is a sizeable cavity for the pickups, etc).
Hooray for plentiful & sustainable woods!

Last edited: Sep 02, 2017 06:12:32

Good 1st post! Welcome to the forum. Smile

Back in 2011, Fender included a Paulownia Tele as part of their 'Telebration' series Telecasters. It's also known as 'Empress' wood.
I got one, and it's most definetely a keeper.

The only downside to Paulownia, is that it's not a really hard wood, and you need to be a bit more careful with it, as compared to say, Ash or Alder.

The Brad Paisley Telecaster that Jake referenced earlier, actually has a Paulownia body sandwiched between two pieces of Spruce. I'm not sure if that's done strictly for durability issues, or if it enhances the tone as well.

-Cheers, Clark-

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

Goto Page: Previous 1 2