Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
246 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
246 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
166 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
113 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
18 hours ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
18 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Yacht Rock

Page 1 of 1

Here’s a starter article with historical perspective, not in Wall Street Journal as one could expect, though. What’s your take?

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

I love Jacobin mag

Aside from a Jim Messina reference, granted the wrong era Messina for this forums cares, this smells of 41 day old political click bait.

...well, and if I can get my brain around all the esoteric meandering, a prediction that American music in 2017 is gonna suck. Unless you love Captain & Tennille. Is that your point, Kahuna? You're making a New Years musical prediction?

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016 06:20:48

The best part about suffering through the "smooth rock" era was stumbling on this most excellent series on youtube a number of years ago. It's like a DIY version of Spinal Tap for Yacht Rock.

Fast Forward a few more years and my car came with a 6-month subscription to SiriusXM. I literally laughed when I saw there was a Yacht Rock channel. My wife and I listened and we were amazed at the number of songs whose lyrics we were able to recall, obviously from some very smooth and soulful place from deep within us.

It reminded her of her days as a lifeguard when those songs dominated the airwaves. It reminded me of the hilarious Yacht Rock episodes on youtube. So, now it's a preset station sandwiched between The Underground Garage and (George) Carlin's Corner.

-murph

http://www.reverbnation.com/elmiragesurf
http://www.reverbnation.com/aminorconspiracy

"I knew I was in trouble when the Coco-Loco tasted like water!" -- morphball

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016 07:34:48

Similar thread

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Fady wrote:

Aside from a Jim Messina reference, granted the wrong era Messina for this forums cares, this smells of 41 day old political click bait.

...well, and if I can get my brain around all the esoteric meandering, a prediction that American music in 2017 is gonna suck. Unless you love Captain & Tennille. Is that your point, Kahuna? You're making a New Years musical prediction?

My point, if you insist on one, is that Yacht Rock can be viewed as one 70s extension of the Beach Boys heritage and that I like to view cultural artefacts in the context of the society around it. Has nothing to do with that Yacht Rock guy who married my high school crush.

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

There is a tiki guy here in so cal, and thinks that Yacht Rock goes with the Tiki scene, oh the horror!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Kawentzmann wrote:

My point, if you insist on one, is that Yacht Rock can be viewed as one 70s extension of the Beach Boys heritage and that I like to view cultural artefacts in the context of the society around it. Has nothing to do with that Yacht Rock guy who married my high school crush.

Right on - dudes with pretty great voices, with or without the multi-part harmonies. I can get with that.

I'm not sure I buy the premise of the author of that article that Yacht Rock was motivated by the socio-political climate of 1980 though. Is he suggesting Yacht Rock is the ostrich's song to the worlds trouble?

I do know that video series (linked HD playlist for all 12 episodes) is absofigginloutly hilarious though! (missed that one first time around / in that other thread).

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Kawentzmann wrote:

My point, if you insist on one, is that Yacht Rock can be viewed as one 70s extension of the Beach Boys heritage and that I like to view cultural artefacts in the context of the society around it.

That is really some food for thought. There was the later, bearded, images of the BB on yachts, Dennis Wilson living on a yacht in the marina, BB keyboardist Darryl "the Captain" Dragon.

I tend to shudder at the term, since I have good memories of that era of soft rock, and it seems like the phenomenon--invented after the fact--grows wider and wider as more songs are being included that don't fit the image (other than the fact that they are from a certain era).

websurfer wrote:
it seems like the phenomenon--invented after the fact--grows wider and wider as more songs are being included that don't fit the image (other than the fact that they are from a certain era).

I have been surprised to hear songs by Joe Jackson, Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, and others on the Yacht Rock SiriusXM station. Not that their playlist defines the "genre", but it is interesting how certain songs/artists can get (re)branded to fit some marketing scheme.

-murph

http://www.reverbnation.com/elmiragesurf
http://www.reverbnation.com/aminorconspiracy

"I knew I was in trouble when the Coco-Loco tasted like water!" -- morphball

Right? I mean, I get Christopher Cross and a whole bunch of others with nautical and/or exotic escapist imagery (The Pina Colada Song) but using the phrase as a catch-all for a whole era seems to me to water down the Yacht Rock idea and to generalize all soft rock.

Kawentzmann wrote:

... Dennis Wilson living on a yacht in the marina,

I used to live on a yacht, that is if you consider,rooming in a boarded up 28" ChrisCraft moored at Pier 39 in SF living on a yacht. Hell it was cheap. And the pier bathroom was amazing.
Good times! Good times.

Squink Out!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016 22:51:39

The only Yacht rock I know is the song "Boats and Hos" from the film Stepbrothers.

murph wrote:

websurfer wrote:
it seems like the phenomenon--invented after the fact--grows wider and wider as more songs are being included that don't fit the image (other than the fact that they are from a certain era).

I have been surprised to hear songs by Joe Jackson, Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, and others on the Yacht Rock SiriusXM station. Not that their playlist defines the "genre", but it is interesting how certain songs/artists can get (re)branded to fit some marketing scheme.

-murph

I like the music some call Yacht Rock, but I agree, it’s a bit revisionist. Sailboats on album covers were all the rage for a while and apparently that explains the name, but there was a lot of mellow, but not necessarily spineless music in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s. Pablo Cruise (with some very unique guitar solos by David Jenkins) and even some material by Crosby, Stills and Nash fit the model, not to mention Christopher Cross (whose music I am ambivalent about).

I see it as an outgrowth of Country Rock. Some bands went on to emphasize the Rock side of it, while others sort of mellowed into Soft Rock. The Yacht Rock station on Sirius XM is enjoyable, to say the least, at least for the months it’s broadcast, but I think that they have to widen the scope a bit from the original concept.

As for the Yacht Rock TV shows, I could only stand to watch them once. That dude from All Music looked like Weird Al’s evil younger brother. The skits were mildly amusing, but that Weird Al clone ruined or for me.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Page 1 of 1