Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
120 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Need help IDing my Hitckhiker Guitar!

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

This is a well played guitar and I can't find the Serial number anywhere.. the neck is unfinished. This guitar came from an estate sale that I purchased it from, and comes with some documentation AND a story. It does not have a dropped E lock in tuner and so is a previous model to the guitar in the promo picture

THE STORY:

The fellow I bought it off of put a down payment on the Hitchhiker with Nokie back in 2007. It comes with a signed bill of sale ( the down payment receipt is dated June 16, 2007) signed by both Nokie and the purchaser. This fellow had the same problems as most when ordering a Hitchhiker- delay in receiving it- so he chose to get to know his guitar hero rather than not getting his guitar. He got to know Nokie Edwards and the Ventures over a few years while he was waiting. He helped out selling merchandise at their concerts and got to know them personally, establishing a friendship. Eventually he got a phone call from Nokie Edwards and was told he was playing nearby. He said that he would give the guitar to him as it was ready. After the concert, this man and sister went to Nokie's motor-home and was presented with Nokie's PERSONAL Hitchhiker rather than a new model. This story was backed up by the guy's sister on this site. She explained the whole situation as well. There is also a physical copy of an email from Judy Edwards, that I have, explaining that this was Nokie's personally used (not new) guitar. It is SIGNED by Nokie Edwards

Is there anybody out there who would be able to help me identify it more thoroughly or anyone who is interested in owning it?

The guitar is in excellent shape for a well played guitar -no dent/scratches etc. and comes with a well used case. Any scarring is covered in fabric style black tape to hide the gouges(from being on tour)

Yellow,
I had heard about this guitar being presented to a customer who waited (in vain) for 1-2 years for his Hitchhiker from Nokie. There should be a serial number at the base of the neck - numbered somewhere between xx0001 and xx0050 or so. If it's not there, then it's a good chance this was Nokie's prototype model. I'm presuming it's natural in color? Nokie's Hitchhiker guitar went through a series of builders which I summarized elsewhere on this forum. I doubt it's being made anymore, but check with Nokie or Judy. If you have $4,000-$6000 bucks and several centuries of wait time to cast to the wind, maybe you can still order one.

If you post some pics, maybe I can let you know additional info.
Other than that.. enjoy the guitar
J Mo'

Yellow.. sent u PM

I am new here on the site. I ordered my HH guitar last June of 2016. I received it in November the week of Thanksgiving (2016). I paid $4300 for it and I liked the guitar at first but it's only a year old and I've had some issues with it. When i first took it out of the super nice skb flight case it comes in, I loved the quilted grain of the top and the weight but when I examined it close i noticed the finish is super thin and i can feel the wood grain of the swamp ash back through the finish. The volume knob has become very scratchy when turning it up or down and the guitar has virtually no sustain. I've been fascinated with Nokie's HH guitars and waited 5 years until I was able to get the money and order one and now that I have one it's a bit of a let down. The finish i could live with but the scratchy electronics I can't. The sustain is a big issue but my question with that is,,, is it with all HH guitars or just mine/recent ones. It sustains good on the lower frets but upper frets not so much.

I'd love to play the prototype that yellowtruck08 has just to see what similarities it has with mine. I'm gonna put a photo of mine on here.

Beach,
The finish on my HH (from the first original batch) isn't too thin or too thick. If it's natural in color, the idea was to bring out as much of the natural grain as possible. If it's too thin for your liking, any competent luthier can remedy it for you(or advise you against it). There is no finish on the back of my HH's neck - something I believe was by Nokie's design and specs.

So you got a scratchy pot with the volume? It happened on my HH. It's nothing a little contact clearer can't remedy; or replace the damn pot with one of those Eddie van Halen low friction (or high friction if that's your thing) pots. I did it on-accounta-because I like to do volume swells.
My HH also doesn't have the greatest sustain.. it never bothered me as most Mosrites I play aren't noted for sustain. I compensate with a compression pedal. I learned that trick playing Fender guitars (the Stratocaster comes to mind).
So - if you are happy the way the guitar plays, try some or all of what I suggested.

BTW - there is NO justice with guitars. I've played high priced lemons and low priced super instruments. Each guitar makes you play differently; so explore the possibilities (and limits) of the HH.

BTW - thank whatever deity you pray to that you got your HH in 5-6 months. I've heard several horror stories wherein it took years.
My 2 cents
J Mo'

Thank you much! I'm glad to hear someone who can give me answers other than "dude u got screwed". Contact cleaner is in my future I suppose.

Beach,
You have a piece of "lightning in a bottle" - there aren't many HHs around. Just make the guitar work for you as best you can. You got a decent deal on the thing from the price you quoted. New anything (that can even include a new significant other) need a "shake out" time to get the small bugs out. All part of life - or something.

Another BTW - your guitar looks as good as mine and that's not a statement I make often or lightly.
Glad I could help
J Mo'

Thank you for the advice.

Johnny mosrite I sent you a pm

Beach,
read your inquiry.. will take a look for you.. stay tuned and don't do anything with your HH for now.
J Mo'

Ok. Thank you

Beach,
You found that the vol pot is 500k and the tone is 250k. I took a look in my HH, which, like yours, is one from the first batch. The pots are NOT mismatched. They are what Nokie spec'd for the HH.
Potentiometer "mismatch" isn't all that uncommon. The Custom Shop Danny Gatton telecaster has a 500K for volume and a 1Meg for tone. Taking a guess, I'm thinking probably all you've seen is Fenders - and most of them have 250K pots all around.

So you have the original pots in your HH. If contact spray (CRC makes it and it's available in most hardware stores.) doesn't eliminate the crackling, then I'd recommend the Eddie van Halen low friction pots. Get the same values and correct knurled or solid shaft type. And if you can, get linear taper for the volume control and audio taper for the tone control.
I have to ask.. did you give the pots a good whack of contact cleaner?
There's no sense to fixing what ain't broke.
Hope this helps
J Mo'

My HH isn't from the first batch it is a current made in AZ model. The pots are mismatched in mine. I can see why pots would be mismatched with bright pups but not Nokie's HH pups. I did not try the spray yet. What was ur original HH pots valued? 250k, 500k ?

By the way yes! You are very helpful with my questions thank you.

Beach,
Maybe I didn't make it clear.. the pots are 500K for volume and 250K for tone. That's what's in my HH; that's exactly what you stated you have in your HH. Ergo,( a little Latin lingo, there) they are not mismatched. Mine also has the Nokie pickups - same as yours.

In summary; pot values are what was put in your HH.
Spray some contact cleaner in the slot where the pot connection tabs are; turn the knob back and forth a few times. That should clean it out.
It's a simple solution- overthinking things is quite unnecessary.
J Mo'

I don't know if this is useful to you, but if you want to sound like Nokie, I was told by Art Greenhaw that when they made their records together, Nokie rolled the Treble all the way off on his Hitchhiker.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017 09:23:38

Noel,
Yes I had heard of that, also. It's all player preference and what sounds like you with any guitar. Sounds are in all guitars; some patience and trial and error is needed to find them.
J Mo'

Ok. So all of the HH guitars must have 500k vol and 250k tone. That solves that question. The main problem I'm dealing with is no sustain. I listen to countless live vids of Nokie and he gets good sustain out of his HH. The notes on my HH just seem to drop off. It's like the note and no sustain afterwards. I had a friend of mine play it and he thinks it's electronic. I know it can't be the pickups. The only thing we can figure is it's the pots. Idk.

Goto Page: 1 2 Next