Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Is this normal for a Reverb Unit? (Reissue)

Page 1 of 1

I have a '63 Reissue unit that's buzzing (sounds like Springs) and has loud feedback. Happens when I play certain notes or loudly. Is this normal? Is it caused by vibrations?

This might be a dumb question... in the video my guitar isn't plugged in (I pulled the cable out). I don't think the feedback isn't loud enough to rock it. The reverb is still squealing until i turn down the mix and turn it up again.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but demonstrations only show the splashing sound and that's doesn't seem to be my case.

https://youtu.be/f6DGU6trCt0

Yikes! Definitely not normal. There are a number of threads on these units and their problems (in fact I started one of my own) so you might find something useful by searching through them. I'd say we both have trips to the amp repair guy in our futures, though.

If you get it figured out, please update this thread with the full story for future sufferers!

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 12:20:36

another vote for a tube-swap in the 1st instance

He who dies with the most tubes... wins

Surf Daddies

tubeswell wrote:

another vote for a tube-swap in the 1st instance

Yup, my first thought; swap that 12AX7 (7025) tube. The Mix as well as the Tone coming off the reverb recovery is on that very busy little tube.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Thanks for the insight Big Razz Better late than never, I replaced both the preamp tubes. It got rid of the "bubbly" sounds I had in the previous video. However, I'm still getting feedback/noise whenever I hit the chassis/power tube.

https://youtu.be/lf0olnNqG_A [the crackling is coming from my phone)

It is still the 6V6 and it has some white dust particles(?) inside.
I've been reading more into it, but still am a little confused on why it's behaving like this (tube newbie, please bear with me!).

Thanks SG101!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017 20:39:28

thomastaylors wrote:

It is still the 6V6 and it has some white dust particles(?) inside.

Sorry for the rabbit-hole journey, but I suggest you replace your power tube. (Your tube may or may not also have a small white ring-like appearance at the top of the glass portion when looking down on it. Regardless, squealing tube = swap it.)

Here you go. And yes, the 6K6 is the tube that SHOULD go in there; the circuit wasn't changed by Fender to accomodate the 6V6. They only used it because ginormous quantities of 6K6 weren't available for such a mass produced item. Besides that, it will no-BS sound like it's supposed to.

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

My bet is on the recovery tube being microphonic. If tube 1 or tube 2 were the problem it wouldn't be solved by turning down the mix pot. Also it would have left the spring resonating violently. Since turning down the mix pot solves the problem, the problem is in the recovery part of tube 3. Just a 7025.

The inner parts of these tubes are joined by spot welding and sometimes the heat and a few bumps are enough to break the weld.

ADDENDUM:
Take out the first tube and try to replicate the problem. If it doesn't occur, tube 1 is suspect. If it does, swap tube 3 for the tube you've just taken out and try to replicate the problem again. If it re-occurs tube 2 is the problem, if it doesn't tube 3 was the problem.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017 04:12:44

Gilette wrote:

My bet is on the recovery tube being microphonic.

Agree & that was my original thought, but understood he replaced it. (Will concede it's possible to have a bad one straight out of the box.)

Wes

Badger wrote:

Gilette wrote:

My bet is on the recovery tube being microphonic.

Agree & that was my original thought, but understood he replaced it. (Will concede it's possible to have a bad one straight out of the box.)

Oops, missed that. What's the chance of swapping a bad tube for one with there same fault? Still, I think the recovery side is to blame here.

Maybe a cold or broken solder joint could be the cause of V3 to go into oscillation. I'm not against the use of printed circuit boards but I think they cause more mechanical problems than turret wired gear. But maybe that's just me...

What about a carbonized tube socket? That can cause a lot of weird sh*t.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017 07:50:35

Gilette wrote:

ADDENDUM:
Take out the first tube and try to replicate the problem. If it doesn't occur, tube 1 is suspect.

I just tried this, removed the power tube and turned it on. I tapped the chassis and the other tubes: there was no ringing. I set an order for a 6K6, hopefully it will come in good condition.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 12:46:04

I got the 6k6 in and 100000x better (from Doug's tubes)! No sound from tapping the chassis. It hums a little more than before when the mix knob is turned past 3... but it doesn't bother me too much. Is that normal for a 6k6? Anyway, I'm having much more fun with it.

thomastaylors wrote:

I got the 6k6 in and 100000x better (from Doug's tubes)!

Glad the grief went away and you're enjoying the tank. Likely you will not notice that bit of hum when playing. Doubtful it's just the 6K6 tube even though it's now running the tube it was designed for, it can be just inherent in the PCB-based Reissues - mine did it too, figured they were all like that. Then I got a Gomez. Turn the knobs & enjoy the splash.
Smile

Wes

Badger wrote:

Glad the grief went away and you're enjoying the tank. Likely you will not notice that bit of hum when playing. Doubtful it's just the 6K6 tube even though it's now running the tube it was designed for, it can be just inherent in the PCB-based Reissues - mine did it too, figured they were all like that. Then I got a Gomez. Turn the knobs & enjoy the splash.

When I don't play, it is quite noticeable. I am having a blast with it, just worried when I do get to recording. To make sure I made a video of the "hum" I'm getting. Only coming from the new 6k6, I pulled it out and plugged the faulty 6v6 and no hum like such.

https://youtu.be/D7GSJZlx_Ss

@Badger, was the hum on yours *immense like this?

*comparing to 6v6/demos on YouTube

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017 01:47:51

It does seem a bit noisy. I can't think of any specific cause for your problem, especially the difference between the tubes is strange. At this point I would open it up and check the soldering on tube sockets and wiring. A bad earth connection may explain the hum.

Did you have your guitar connected with the volume open when you shot the video? If you didn't, it might explain why there's a difference in hum when you turn the mixer from dry to wet. If you did there's a problem with the unit.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017 04:03:09

Now that I had time to listen to the video I agree also, that's an inordinate amount of hum. My RI didn't do that; just tried that with the Gomez, including with nothing in the input like you have in the video & it doesn't seem or behave like that, and regardless of reverb footswitch position.

Do you have anything else around that would have a known-good 6V6 in it you can use? (credibility of the funky 6V6 isn't there) If not, you may want to call Doug's and see about another 6K6, for 2 reasons. It's not impossible to get a bad item out of the box, let him know what's going on, he also answers emails when he can. Also, not trying to get you to simply buy tubes but there's a reason most of us keep spares around.

Wes

Try a diff plug in the house to see if it hums. Take it to a known good amp tech to isolate the issue. Here's something that may help: http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html/searchthreadgateway.php?topic_number=801126

Derek, good ear. That freq sounds like 60Hz AC hum. You can primarily hear the harmonic of it. (I'm betting it matches or is close to the 5th string B-note.) Sounded that way to me at any rate. Perhaps there are some things in the chain plugged into outlets not having a common ground.

Wes

Okay, I will check it out when I get home. I don't think it's a ground loop issue, I had both the amp and unit plugged in the same power strip. I had contacted Doug as well.

Page 1 of 1