Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Surf and Instrumental Tunes featuring Sax or Organ/keyboard

Page 1 of 1

Hi Guys.
I am putting together a group featuring standard surf and instrumental guitar tunes. But seeing as I play sax (I do alot of jazz and one member plays guitar and keyboard) I was interested in suggestions for any good surf or general instrumental tunes that feature sax/organ/keyboard as a lead or unison with guitar. All suggestions are welcome.

Last edited: Dec 05, 2016 15:18:53

Search YouTube for The Eliminators. They have a sax player.

GregEL wrote:

Search YouTube for The Eliminators. They have a sax player.

Thanks Greg. Will do.

Three that come to my mind, immediately are, "Miserlou" and "Surf Rider" (for surf, both having sax), and "Green Onions" (featuring organ). Before I click the Submit Reply button...also check out "Inertia" by The Hustlers. It has piano and sax in it.

Fast Cars & Loud Guitars!

For 90's bands, checkout The Fathoms for possibly the best sax playing in the genre. The Halibuts also featured a sax. For 60's stuff it's hard not to find sax or piano.

And Matt, Miserlou has a trumpet... I don't remember sax...?

I've attached two gnarly sounding sax driven numbers, The Vara-Tones Repeto and The Trademarks Baha-Ree-ba.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Surf Beat
Surfers Stomp
Balboa Blue

Happy Sunsets!

tahitijack wrote:

Surf Beat
Surfers Stomp
Balboa Blue

Hi Jack. I checked those out and that's brilliant. I never had heard of those before but appreciate the heads up...Cheers Phil

stratdancer wrote:

Thanks for that. I will give them a listen.

Brian wrote:

For 90's bands, checkout The Fathoms for possibly the best sax playing in the genre. The Halibuts also featured a sax. For 60's stuff it's hard not to find sax or piano.

I've attached two gnarly sounding sax driven numbers, The Vara-Tones Repeto and The Trademarks Baha-Ree-ba.

Hi Brian. Thanks for all those suggestions and the links. I had a listen to them and their just what I was searching for. I will check the others out. Cheers Phil

Surfabilly wrote:

Three that come to my mind, immediately are, "Miserlou" and "Surf Rider" (for surf, both having sax), and "Green Onions" (featuring organ). Before I click the Submit Reply button...also check out "Inertia" by The Hustlers. It has piano and sax in it.

Thanks Billy. I will check them out. I think one of them is trumpet not sax. But alot of the early Dick Dale stuff has sax all over it so will revisit him...

Surfabilly wrote:

And you can't beat Booker T!

Brian wrote:

For some reason, I was thinking of "Rebel Rouser," though not surf, "Miserlou" popped in instead, and my fingers went with it...or, DOH!

Fast Cars & Loud Guitars!

Not sure if this will help, but the Lively Ones is certainly a standout surf group with sax (Surf Rider being one of many classic examples).

Harlem Nocturne - The Viscounts
Fiberglass Jungle - The Crossfires
Comanche - The Revels
Bullwinkle Pt II - The Centurions
Shake n Stomp (but of course!) - Dick Dale
Bombora - The Original Surfaris

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

shake_n_stomp wrote:

Not sure if this will help, but the Lively Ones is certainly a standout surf group with sax (Surf Rider being one of many classic examples).

Harlem Nocturne - The Viscounts
Fiberglass Jungle - The Crossfires
Comanche - The Revels
Bullwinkle Pt II - The Centurions
Shake n Stomp (but of course!) - Dick Dale
Bombora - The Original Surfaris

Hi Shake

Thanks for those. There's a few bands there I hadn't heard of so will check them out. I am certainly getting alot of great material to follow up on and appreciate it.

I have discovered slot the instrumentals featuring Organists Bill Doggett and Baby Dave Cortez feature saxes for melody and sound great. Either saxes or guitar...some great alternative instrumentals to balance out the surf...

Page 1 of 1